When did you stop giving Infant Cereal to your Babes?

When did you stop serving Iron Fortified Infant Cereal?

• 6 months

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 12-18months

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • 2yrs and older

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ADS

lovinwaves

I switched DS at around 12 mths (I'm pretty sure), well actually he never really ate the infant cereal or baby food anyways. :rolleyes:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We never really followed the conventional path - LOL! Nolan's first solids were around 6-8 months and that was mostly fruit (avocadoes, bananas). I think I tried some baby muesli/oatmeal a little but then gave it up and gave him whatever we were eating. :)

arly1983

Jackson was probably about 18 months old. I used the iron fortified infant cereal in everything (apple sauce, spegetti sauce, any kind of sauce). He was borderline anemic and I was trying to beef up on the iron. Once I started regular oatmeal, he loved it. Probably would have loved it earlier.

Mom2nj

My DD gave up all baby food around 8 months old, so she got what ever we were having minus all the seasonings. DS I think around a year, he wasn't into the baby food either, he would only eat the cereal with yogurt. After DD boycotted baby food for a while I did introduce the cereal back in for a snack before bed with some natural applesauce.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
You didn't have an option for me!

Neither child has ever had infant cereal, it's completely unnecessary for breastfed babies.

lovinwaves

Neither child has ever had infant cereal, it's completely unnecessary for breastfed babies.

There was "something" my doctor said that breastmilk doesn't have, and she recommended a "certain" cereal with this "something" while I was Breastfeeding. ,<----ok sorry about the somethings and certains LOL!!

Anways, does anyone know what I am talking about? I think it was Iron?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Ewww! Infant Cereal! Yuck!

I can't give stuff to my kids that I myself wouldn't eat. Infant Cereal tastes like cardboard. :eek:

Morganthe

I can't give stuff to my kids that I myself wouldn't eat. Infant Cereal tastes like cardboard. :eek:

You're absolutely right! Since I prepared Oatmeal daily for myself, I'd prepare her some Baby oatmeal cereal with the Motts Granny Smith applesauce mixed in to it for flavor. I also added Saigon Cinnamon (the real cinnamon!) and she loved it from about 14- 19 months through the Cold winter. The she decided didn't like it anymore. That was ok too. :)

I was anemic during & after pregnancy. DD had trouble digesting naturally Iron fort. foods like meat, so this was one way to help esp. since she would refuse the liquid the dr prescribed to her. Now that was nasty stuff! :eek: I hated how it smelled and there was no way to hide the stench in foods. :( The taste was even worse.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member

That's basically what we did. I think we bought one box of organic baby muesli...?

As for breastmilk "missing" something, alot of doctors will try to tell you that it's iron. Breastmilk is "low" in iron but is more easily absorbed by babies than the fortified kind of iron, therefore they get all they need from breastmilk. I kind of go by the belief that nature intended it to have everything the baby needs, so we never added any other vitamins or anything. Nolan was tested twice and his iron was fine... :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
We stopped giving cereal around 12 months, at this age he started to prefer cheerios with milk.

lovinwaves

As for breastmilk "missing" something, alot of doctors will try to tell you that it's iron. Breastmilk is "low" in iron but is more easily absorbed by babies than the fortified kind of iron, therefore they get all they need from breastmilk. I kind of go by the belief that nature intended it to have everything the baby needs, so we never added any other vitamins or anything. Nolan was tested twice and his iron was fine... :)

Ok, Thanks! :D Yeah, I thought it was Iron, but when she said that I didn't necessarily believe it. I was kind of shocked to hear that my BM needed to be supplemented in some way? :eek:

Kellyr2

No baby cereal here. Well, I think Mikayla may have had it twice, and Xander hasn't had any yet - but he's only had banana 3 times so it's not like we're big time on the solids train yet LOL.

MySillyKids

We started solids at 11.5 months. He's still getting rice cereal. it helps with his bad reflux.

Its mixed in with stage 2 foods tho.

LuvBug

yup another in the non-listed group.
DS has never even seen baby cereal lol! I tasted it myself one time to see what it was like. PUKE! At 9 months he started finger food of organic puffed rice(like rice krispies) but didnt actually start eating solids until 14months.
He was purely breastfed and I believe in the 'they are ready to eat when they can feed themselves' thing lol! I go with that route for a lot of things.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Evan was 9 mos when the GI told us to stop cereal ASAP b/c it was horrible for reflux/MSPI babies. Ilana won't ever get infant cereal.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Where's the option for "never gave it in the first place"? LOL

We tried it with Piper once or twice at six months or so. She hated it. I had the same box of rice cereal in my house for over two years. I threw it out mostly full.

Wendy

Lea_Ontario

Another vote for "no baby food" here.

I think we've bought baby food prunes a few times, but that's been it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm curious as to how long you switched your children over from Infant Oatmeal to "real" oatmeal? :)

Hey, there's no 'never' answer :) I tried to feed that stuff to my first baby, and never tried with the other two. I don't think my dd is actually digesting much of anything she eats now, but she's a fruit fanatic and rarely lets us feed her anything she can't pick up and put her her mouth herself (started self feeding at almost 6 months, now at 13 months is still mostly breastfed but does love her fruit, lol)

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC