This is what a cheap French seat looks like...

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, team tex. nania. safety baby....tex baby must be their newest name ;). We've had those here, they are surprisingly nice in the pictures, but surprisingly icky in real life, and generally rate very poorly in the oeamtc (Austrian AAA, sort of, and IIHS combined, they do all these independent crash tests and used to post all the videos) crash tests. But I remember seeing them for the first time and wanting one so badly... so pretty, so comfy looking, so affordable. And some French parents were at our BRU and quite disappointed in our US seats...can't say I blame them, when their expensive/higher quality seats are just so darn nice over there!

BeckC

I would take the Avenue over that seat any day. That seat only RF to 13kg, which is about 29 lbs. The Avenue RF to 35 lbs and is actually a very nice basic seat.

HappyMommy

I would take the Avenue over that seat any day. That seat only RF to 13kg, which is about 29 lbs. The Avenue RF to 35 lbs and is actually a very nice basic seat.

There are no seats that RF till 35lbs in France so if you were living in France you would not have the option to RF till 35 lbs anyway. I am just saying the cheapest alternatives in France look better than in the US:twocents:

AtTheSouthDam

My reaction is when did the Euro fall so badly?!!? Now that I am done with that they look cute but I assume Nania failed here for a reason.

Maedze

I thought 75 Euros worked out to something like 140 US dollars, or am I getting that backwards? I wouldn't consider that to be 'cheap', on the assumption that I am not having conversion issues. Which is entirely possible.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Ha Last time I checked the exchange rate (shows how long it's been) it was 1:1, so 75 euro would have $75.

Of course, last time I was in France, they were still using Francs (and that was some confusing finagling. Because $1 was like 1000 Francs or something ridiculous and the math was confusing!!!)

Evolily

Google does exchange rates- 75 EU is about 92 USD (right now, at this moment, could change)

It looks like a small seat. And I haven't heard good things about team tex, unfortunately :( .

I believe (could be wrong) that people in France can import higher RFing limit seats (from Sweden, Norway, etc) and use them legally, as can any other EU country. Specialty shop may sell them already. And, yeah, I'd probably take the avenue (and maybe even the scenera) over that seat! But I must admit that the design/style is quite a bit better. In Europe most seats seem to have nicer designs, even seats we have on both sides of the ocean (maybe that's the 'grass is greener' syndrome?)

Last edited:

HappyMommy

Whoa, it dropped.

And, yes, I agree, I would take the Avenue over that seat, any day.

Why? If it is b/c of the RF limit, from a French perspective, it's not very realistic to assume that the average French parent would import a seat...
Personally, although I like the Avenue, I do feel that those French seats have a nicer design and better SIP.

Maedze

If you're going just for design and apparent cuteness and cushiness, the Graco Comfortsport is about equivalent to the seat you just posted in seat depth, cushiness, cuteness, design, and price. I would still take the Avenue.

HappyMommy

If you're going just for design and apparent cuteness and cushiness, the Graco Comfortsport is about equivalent to the seat you just posted in seat depth, cushiness, cuteness, design, and price. I would still take the Avenue.

Actually, I was also looking at the deep sides, i.e. SIP. You still haven't explained why you prefer the Avenue.

Maedze

Um, because rear facing trumps side depth when it comes to side impact protection, any day of the week.

Again, the Comfortsport has deep sides.

You can't tell if something has good side impact protection just by eyeballing the sides in a stock photo ;)

Just because it's pretty doesn't make it a better choice than the Avenue.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The sides don't look *that* deep and the shell and harness looks pretty short -- how old does the child look in the pic, because he doesn't look like he has a lot of time left?

I would also prefer an Avenue, and then I'd buy cheese with the extra $15.

finn

We have a Nania seat, it wasn't cheap here $250nzd, it feels cheap though and I try and use it as little as possible :( it has no foam!

InternationalMama

There are no seats that RF till 35lbs in France so if you were living in France you would not have the option to RF till 35 lbs anyway. I am just saying the cheapest alternatives in France look better than in the US:twocents:

In France you have the option of legally using Swedish seats, which RF to 55 lbs. You can get them sent straight from Sweden or you can pick them up across the channel in England. It's true that most French parents don't do extended rear facing. But of the parents I do know in France who do extended rear facing, none of them use French seats. :)

wvmommy007

Just wondering, how does that seat compare, safety wise, to a similar one that has a chest clip? The absence of a clip scares me a little, not that I'd ever have a reason to use a French seat. :)

StillThankful

Just wondering, how does that seat compare, safety wise, to a similar one that has a chest clip? The absence of a clip scares me a little, not that I'd ever have a reason to use a French seat. :)

I was wondering the same thing:) You might want to ask Proudmommysince09--her DD is using the Britax Multi Tech. It doesn't seem to have the chest clip either.

Maedze

I was wondering the same thing:) You might want to ask Proudmommysince09--her DD is using the Britax Multi Tech. It doesn't seem to have the chest clip either.

Chest clips are NOT a crash device. They are a pre-crash positioner. Seats without them are perfectly safe.

The purpose of the chest clip is to increase the likelihood that the harness is positioned correctly on the shoulders prior to impact.

If the harness is PROPERLY tightened with no slack to pinch, it will be positioned correctly prior to impact.

Unfortunately, as we all know, at least in the US most parents do not apply the appropriate amount of tension to the harness.

Nothing will help when the harness is so loose that you could fit an entire other child in the seat, but for the average parent who is *close but no cigar*, having the chest clip there increases the likelihood that the harness is coming down the middle of the shoulders instead of slipping off.

Once a crash happens, in either kind of seat, the harness is doing all the work. The presence of the clip is meaningless.

Chest clips are the status quo in US seats. There was an infant seat (the old Fisher Price SIV) that made it optional for use, but they've been discontinued and are now all expired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC