Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Illegal to sell used car seats?

I am on the board of directors for my son's pre-school and run a Kijiji fundraiser where families donate items, I post them and all proceeds go to the school. I have a list of items that I will not accept to sell--one being car seats as I don't know the history, etc. Another board member stated "Well, it's illegal to sell a used car seat anyway". I know car seat experts recommend not buying/borrowing used unless you are sure of the history but this was the first I heard that it was illegal to sell a used seat in Canada. Was she misinformed or is this just one of those laws that everyone overlooks? Thanks! Cheri

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Re: Illegal to sell used car seats?

I don't think it's illegal but it certainly opens yourself up for liability.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Couple of posts answering this from a previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Shanora View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it does cover Car seats, and yes it is illegal to sell a car seat that does not meet the TC guide lines.

The Hazardous Products Act is administered by Health Canada. It has safety requirements for certain consumer products, many of which are intended for use by children. Under the law, you cannot import, sell, give away (including lending), or distribute products that do not meet the requirements of the Hazardous Products Act.
    Car Seats - Car seats must meet the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard. Before selling a used car seat, check with Next link will take you to another Web site Transport Canada (1-800-333-0371 or www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety) for more information and to find out if the car seat has been recalled.
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/garage-eng.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Allport View Post
    Just for clarification - it is not illegal to sell a second hand car seat AS LONG as it complies with the applicable CMVSS and has not expired. It is NOT advisable to sell or buy a second hand car seat - if you sell one you may become totally responsible legally should something be missing or it does not perform as designed in a crash. If you buy a second hand seat, you are accepting the fact that you might not have all the parts, instructions and not know the history of the seat. Some insurance companies do not accept second hand seats for claims, etc. Not a good thing to do
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Thanks for the info!

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

You did good--you really don't want to open yourself up to the liability, as the seller. Since YOU personally would be liable for somebody else's contribution.

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com