WWYD? My poor doggy gets car sick.....

emandbri

He was fine on the trip back after we got him but it was mostly highway and not many turns. That trip he road in a collapsible kennel and the others with the pet buckle.

Last week I took him to petsmart to get a crate and pet buckle and took him with me so I could see what size to get and he was fine on that trip but threw up on the kitchen floor after we got home. He rode in the crate on the way there and the pet buckle on the way home.

Last week I took him to go walking and he was fine on that trip.

Yesterday morning Jacob wanted to show him to his friend and and he was fine on that trip.

Yesterday Benjamin was going to a birthday party and wanted to show up off to his friends and he threw up in the van. :eek: This trip had lots of turns.

I don't like the kennel, I can't figure out how to secure it.

I have this one.
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/1b/9/AAAADAErhvYAAAAAABub8g.jpg

The instructions say to take the seat belt through the diagonal webbing on the corners but the seat belt won't fit through both of them. I had the kennel sitting on two seating spots with one seat belt going through each corner but it didn't secure it and the whole crate would fall into the floorboard.

Would taking a latch strap off a car seat and using it be okay?

If he is in the crate we can hose it off instead of having to clean the van.

I have this pet buckle.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932889&lmdn=Dog

I think I could use both of them if I let out the strap on the pet buckle.

We were going to try taking away his food before we have to somewhere. How long before being in the car should we do that?

Tue he has a vet appointment and is going to the groomer and later this week we need to take him to my parents'. The vet is only 2 miles away, groomer 4, but my parents' house is 30 min.

I could also put him in the trunk of the van. I have a sienna with a nice deep trunk area and the kennel would fit right in that spot, I would have no way to secure it but he would be in the deep hole.

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/toyota_sienna_le_awd_2009_other_trunk.jpg

Thanks for any help!

ADS

TheQueenMother

I wonder sometimes if it is not an exposure/acclimation thing. When we brought home the yorkie, she was 2 and had been in the car very rarely. I took her everywhere for two weeks and now she rarely gets car sick. She has once in the last year when she ate a ton of food right before we left. I would say taking his food away an hour prior to the trip would be enough.
Good luck, he sounds like he is fitting in very well

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One of our dogs has issues w/ car sickness. We've tried not feeding him, letting him get fresh air, stopping frequently, etc. None of that worked. We then tried a doggie dose of benadryl (on vet's recommendation). That didn't work, either. Now we have an Rx for a doggie version of dramamine. We haven't tried it out yet.

menfusse

My yorkie gets car sick too. Doesn't matter what she rides in or not. It's hit or miss with her too. We took her to my mom's a half hour each way and she did fine. Barfed on the way to MIL's this week that is like 5 miles away. There are only curvy roads here, lol. We are supposed to be going with the inlaws to a family reunion to Alabama some time this summer. That's about 6 hours or so. The vet said there is a doggy car sickness med and you can bet I'm stocking up.

I guess I'm not really any help other than to commiserate. We tried everything from how and where she rides, to natural calming stuff you feed them before you leave. She even got sick from sitting on the porch swing with me.

cryway903

I would leave him home unless he absolutely must go, like to the vet. Barring that you can feed him vanilla ice cream right before leaving home or while out. It calms their stomachs.

Last edited:

cookie123

I read on some yorkie board this lady gave her dog a ginger cookie before going in the car to her car sick prone yorkie. She didn't elaborate on what kind. Meela also gets carsick. It seems to be on longer trips. I figured I could try getting something gingery for her and see if it works.

Evolily

Benadryl is also suppose to help with motion sickness in some people, and can be given to dogs (you'd have to call the vet about the dose).

emandbri

thanks all. We had to take him to my MIL's she was keeping him for a few days. We gave him dramamine but I wasn't sure how soon before leaving we should give it to him. I think we did a half hour.

I went a different way that had less curves. He started out in the pop up crate with the pet buckle but got out the crate. I pulled over into a parking lot and had Jacob come to the middle seat wondering if maybe if he petted him it would help calm him and he might be okay. I also covered Jacob in towels just in case. He threw up some water and was okay until we were 3 min from my MIL's house and then he threw up. Still that is better than he has been doing.

We have to go get him today, we'll see how he does! I'll stop by petsmart and get some ginger cookies for him.

Thanks!

emandbri

He did okay! We gave him the draminine an hour before, gave him the Ginger snaps, and put him in Brian's car since it has a lower center of gravity.

I'll try trading cars with Brian when he has to go to the vet.

He won't have to go anywhere for a while, it is too hot to walk outside so I'll be walking at the mall.

robbertbobbert

My dog used to get carsick sometimes, but not so much anymore. We use a Ruff Rider Roadie in the car instead of a crate. It's a harness that uses the vehicle seatbelt to restrain them. If used properly it keeps your dog laying down, which is the safest for them in the car. We got in an accident last year and it probably saved his life.

There have been crash tests where crates have exploded on impact, when the dummy dog inside the crate hit the walls.

He also seems to do better in the Ruff Rider because he can lay down and stay that way and not get shifted all around the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC