Yet another school bus thread

scoutingbear

Help me feel better. This week A starts summer day camp while I work (and then to get him out of the house while I am on maternity leave). Every Wednesday they take a field trip and use regular ol' big school buses. He took a couple trips in kindy, but they were on the shorter buses and those buses actually had lap/should belts. His teacher always sat with him or across the aisle from him because of his impulsivity.

I really don't want to make A a target his first week of camp to the counslers by going over his list of behaviors (none of them will harm other kids and I don't want them to read too much into normal 6 year old behaviors either). I am just a bit worried about field trip day. I know he can stay in the seat and not wander the bus. However, I'm sure he will try to turn around, bend down to pick up stuff he has dropped 16,000 times on the ground, and probably lean around the edge of the seat to see where he is going.

Do I request that a counsler sit near him if they can or go over (again) the basics of bus safety with him? This is a kid who still needs occassional reminders and pulling over to sit properly in his booster seat when his brother is in the car. But he has outgrown the harness on the Nauti. :crying:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
He is soooo safe even OUT of position in a school bus. I know you know that. I'd suggest having a talk about needing to remember to sit right to be safe no matter what anyone else is doing, and asking that the counselor keep a DISCREET eye on him and issue a reminder to sit up if needed, but I don't think he needs constant monitoring. :)

scoutingbear

Thanks KQ. I know how safe he is, I guess I just can't believe he is old enough for camp with field trips to all sorts of cool places all summer (aquatics center, Knotts, Disney, Scooter's Jungle, El Capitan Theatre, and bowling) to name a few). I'm not worried about the actual being at the places since for field trips they have 1 adult for every 5 campers...just the transportation!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, you have to worry about something, right? ;)

FWIW, I attended those camps and went on hour-long drives to Disneyland and Knotts as a kid, in a schoolbus, and the drivers that they hire (usually contracted through the bus company) are EXCELLENT, really safe bus drivers, really know their way around and are VERY good about enforcing safety on the bus. :)

smileybrea

CPS Technician
My oldest is going to summer camp in a couple weeks and they are taking trips daily! I was so nervous about transportation but they are using school busses as well. He definitely has impulse issues and can't stay still for 2 seconds but I know how safe he is and I know camp counselors or the bus driver won't allow him to just wonder the bus.

I'm sure your son will be fine but I totally understand your concern :)

If this makes you feel any better, I am a counselor at a similar type of camp. We take field trips once a week as well and I know that we have the smaller kids sit close to the counselors to keep an eye on them. So...it sounds like he will be in good hands and I bet they will watch for children moving around especially the little ones ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC