OMGOSH!!

amy&girls

I was baby-sitting a friends little girls yesterday and when I mentioned that Grace was still rear-facing (my youngest, she's 18 months and 28ish pounds), she was like "OMG WHY?" and her cop husband told me that she SHOULD be forward facing and if I get pulled over I could get a ticket... UM, really? I don't think so. So out of curiosity at that point, I asked what their little girls are riding in. The little one, who is 22 months, but a tiny little thing at 21lbs, is forward facing in a scenera. (I almost died there... I can't imagine forward facing that little. I'm a "big meanie" and make mine stay rear-facing till they reach the weight limit on the seat, which ours is 35lbs now, we used to have a 30lb Titan) and their 4yr old is riding in a backless harmony booster... (ETA their 4yr old JUST turned 4 at the end of April and probably only weighs 30lbs dripping wet, she's still wearing 2T clothes, if that gives you an idea of her tininess). I let my almost 55lbish, 48in tall almost 7yr old ride in the same seat when she rides with my sister sometimes (usually I just pull the Turbobooster out of my van though) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: And being that he's a cop, he "knows his stuff" so I have no chance of getting them to fix their situation...

On a side note though, are there any seats that rear-face past 35lbs? If Grace continues to pack on the pounds the way she has been (was 17lbs at 1yr, and 21lbs at 15 months) then I'm going to need something different than the EFTA we have...

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

Ya, its frustrating isn't it? Most of the kids in my dd2's preschool class were in a booster, most were backless (and these kids are 3-4y/o :eek:) I did handouts, had the local tech. from the fire station do a talk (I work with him and he is very well versed ;)) but still...all these mothers "knew what they were doing" :rolleyes:
As far as seats that rf past 35lbs.
Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL & XTSL rf to 45lbs.
Graco MyRide 40lbs.
Evenflo Momentum 40lbs.
Safety First Complete Air 40lbs.

Am I missing some?

skitle1802

:yeahthat:
There are several,
to 40lbs- Graco Myride, Safety 1st Complete Air, Sunshine Kids Radian 65SL
to 45lbs-Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL and XTSL

And the new Britax seats are rumored to have higher than the current 35lb limits.

I can't think of any others ATM. I'm sure someone else will come along. And there aren't any states with maximum rear-facing limits, so as long as you follow the manufacturers use limits, you can't be ticketed(or if they try to, you can contest it).

babygirlsmom1005

How tall is the little girl - I know the Scerena has a 34 inch minimum forward facing rule - she could very well be mis-using the seat if her LO is shorter than 34 inches and forward facing :whistle:

AmbersMommy

You'll get a ticket for having her rear facing.. That's FUNNY!!! Wow, you would think he would know his stuff a bit more! My daughter is almost 4.5 and is 33lbs dripping wet and I could not imagine her in a booster seat... That just scares me to think about it!!!

There are seats that go past 35lbs.. I know the radian goes to 40-45 lbs depends on which model you get, MR is 40lbs, CA is 40lbs, and from what is known Britax new seats coming out in a few months are 40lbs RFing now.

Maedze

If your state is a proper use one, he is illegally restraining his child in the Scenera, which has a 34" and 22# minimum for use forward facing.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are you in MO? If so he's breaking the law with both kids as MO has a 4 years AND 40 pound minimum for a booster. As well as a proper use clause, so the Scenera is illegal at 21 pounds.

I'd politely ask him to show you the law, since you're so interested in why you'd get a ticket. Ask him to print it out for you, or find it online to send you a link. That way he has to do the research to find it, will realize he's wrong (hopefully), and fix it all. Don't bring it up again after that, though. Men don't like being told they're wrong.

Wendy

amy&girls

ok, so I know the complete air is out. I was looking at it at Target today, and I sat her in it, and I'm not comfortable about how the straps fit her. They are too high above her shoulder for me. :) As far as the Radian goes, I'm STILL dreaming of one, but have yet to cough up the funds for one. I might convince my sister to trade me seats for a while, since she has a myride for her little boy (15 months, don't get me started on how annoyed it makes me. I make the little guy sit rear-facing in my car!) but decided to forward face him last month. I had NO IDEA that one had a 40lb limit.

As far as the little one goes on the Scenera, I didn't know it had those restrictions either. I have a scenera, but its strictly my extra (rarely used) seat for my 3yr old. I'm guessing the kid isn't 34 inches tall, b/c she's shorter than my 18 month old, and if I had to guess, I'd say she was only 33 inches tall (now watch me be WAY off, she goes wed for her check-up).

Yes, I'm in MO and the law is strict, its exactly why my 37lb almost 5yr old is still riding in a Apex65 (would love to get her a different seat, but for where it is in my van, with the headrests and such, it works fine. After her though, its going, going, gone. :))

its frustrating, it really is. I look like an "insane freak" for practicing extended rear-facing with my 18 month old, and extended harnessing with my almost 5yr old. Shoot, I only booster trained my almost 7yr right before she turned 6, b/c she started riding the bus to school! I was talking to my husband today when we were out at lunch with friends about needing to replace the Titan (in his car, expires at the end of the year) with something else, and he asked why and I mentioned that it was expiring and he was like "oh". And the husband of the couple we were with (who have a 4yr old and a 10 week old) were like "What? carseats expire?" and his wife looked at him and said "yep, after 6yrs" and he straight up said "well at least we use carseats unlike my sister!" (his sisters kids are 9, 4 and 1, and when they go with someone other than her, she just plops them into the seatbelt apparantly:eek::eek::eek:)

Little Ps Mama

That's frustrating! My neighbor had a supposed car seat tech come to her child's preschool and she was told by that "tech" that it's "against the law" where we live (VA) for children over 1 year and 20 pounds to remain rear facing. :confused:

Jennifer mom to my 7

WHat do you mean the straps were too far above her shoulders? Does she have a really short torso or something? THe botton slot position of the complete air I think is about 10 inches.

amy&girls

WHat do you mean the straps were too far above her shoulders? Does she have a really short torso or something? THe botton slot position of the complete air I think is about 10 inches.

It could have just been the way she looked in them, since she's been riding in the EFTA for so long, maybe I'm just used to how they are always at shoulder level. :) Does Babies R Us sell them? I'm going up there later this week with a friend, and I would be curious to see how it fits in my car.

amy&girls

ok, so I just measured her torso, its only 10 1/2 inches. Is that even possible? I mean I know *I* have a short torso, but she seems so much bigger than that to me. She was 33 inches yesterday, and 28lbs. At the rate she's growing, she's going to be outgrowing rear-facing by weight, WAY before height... :(

Jennifer mom to my 7

I think 10.5 inches would put her about even with the bottom harness slots of the complete air. I would definitely try it again, installed in your car. It has loads of head room!

Oh, and if you tried her in the ff position, it might be different in the rf position. Or, you could just wait until she gets closer to the 35 pound limit of her current seat to figure it out :)

amy&girls

Yeah, hopefully now that she's packed on a few pounds from her change in diet (no longer nursing) and will slow down in the pound gaining. She is 18 months now, so I'm hoping she's done gaining some chunkiness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC