Child restraint FAQ

jjordan

I'm putting together a list of FAQ relating to child restraints. It seems like something that has probably been done before. Anyone have a link if so?

If not, if you want to add to my list, I would certainly appreciate it. I'm pasting it below.

Child Restraint FAQ

Selection
Will my newborn be safe in a convertible seat, or should I get an infant seat?
What is the best seat for me?
Which seats are safest?
What is so special about the expensive seats?
Is it important to try a seat before I buy it?
What should I be looking for when I’m shopping for seats?
When I’m ready to get a booster seat, should I get a high-back or backless booster?
I hear the IIHS recently rated booster seats. Will my child be safer in one of their top-rated booster seats? The one we have didn't do very well.

Installation
What is LATCH anyway?
If my car doesn’t have LATCH, does that mean my child isn’t as safe?
When should I use the top tether?
What should I do if my car doesn’t have top tether anchors?
Should I use the seatbelt or LATCH (or both?) to install the car seat?
Is it okay if my rear-facing car seat touches the back of the seat in front of it?
Is it possible to get 3 car seats across the back seat of my car at once?
Does it matter where I install the car seat? Is one place safer than another?
Is it okay to put a car seat in the front seat of my car?
How do I know if my seat is installed tightly enough?
Does it matter how I put the seatbelt/LATCH strap through the seat?
I’m worried that the car seat will damage my vehicle seats. Can I use one of those protective mats under the car seat?
My car seat has a little metal thing with 4 prongs attached to the plastic. How do I use it?
How can I get my rear-facing seat in tighter? The head end of the seat wiggles a lot!
How do I get my rear-facing seat in at the correct angle?

Use
What are the NY state laws regulating car seat use?
Is it okay to use a secondhand car seat?
How do I know if my child is too small or too big for their car seat? (Hint: it is not enough to know the car seat’s height and weight limits!)
How tight should the straps be?
Which set of harness slots should I be using?
Can I use a homemade cover for my car seat? What about strap covers, head pillows, and that sort of thing?
How should the seatbelt fit my boostered child?
What’s the best way to keep my child warm in the car in the winter? And why don’t they make those cozy “bundle me” things for toddler car seats?
How do I clean the car seat after my child pukes/pees/spills on it?
Can I use a car seat or booster that has been in a minor car accident?

Transitions
When can I turn my baby around from rear-facing to forward-facing?
When can I put my child in a booster seat?
When will my child be ready to use the adult seatbelt without any sort of additional restraint?
Why do I need to stop using a seat that has expired?

ADS

jjordan

Thank you! I checked the forums but it didn't even occur to me to check anywhere else here. I don't think I even knew about those links up top, or if I did at one time, I had totally forgotten about them!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC