Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Min weight listed on side of Graco Cargo?

What is it? Does anyone know if it's 20 or 22 lbs? There is a (getting) heated debate on another site I visit, someone thinks it's safe to put their (in my opinion) too young, too light child FF into a graco cargo. This child isn't even a year old yet.
    She said the seat states it's safe to use from 20lbs on....................

I know we can't tell people what to do when it comes to car seat safety, but it frustrates me when we educate them as to why RF is safest, and why there are minimum recommendations, and they don't seem to care.

I provided a couple of youtube links on crash testing, does anyone have one that really provides a clear visual of what could happen? I hate asking, I watched one video today that brought me to tears.............it all seems so simple. Safely restrain your child, no matter what stage their at!
    ~CRST with CPSAC~

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Min weight listed on side of Graco Cargo?

minimum of 1 year AND 20 lbs on cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    The Graco CarGo has a minimum of 20 pounds and 1 year for use in harnessed mode.
    Oh wow, thanks! Do most FF seats state 22lbs? Why was I thinking that?
    Maybe I'm confused and thinking that most RF infant only seats go to a max weight of 22lbs......unless of course people have the higher weight infant only seats.

So if it states minimum one year AND 20 lbs, if this child is 9 months, 21lbs, she really has no choice but to get a different seat to accomodate for the time until he turns 1, right? Or hope that he doesn't gain that few oz to hit the 22lb limit on the bucket until then.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by dragonfly8; 06-10-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added a statement
    ~CRST with CPSAC~

Weight: 20-40 lbs harnessed (Canada has a higher upper weight limit though)
    Height: 27-43" harnessed
    At least one year old and can sit up unassisted

From page 10 of the graco manual (note this is the US version of the manual)
    http://download.gracobaby.com/Produc.../ISPB007BF.pdf
    Katy

CPS Advocate

Dorel seats generally have a 22 lb minimum to forward face. Almost every other company has a 20 lb minimum, except The First Years, which has a 23 lb minimum.

It seems that many convertible seats have a minimum of 22lbs for forward-facing, but that forward-facing only seats generally have a minimum of 20lbs (the Frontier being a notable exception). For whatever it's worth, the United States version of the Graco Nautilus (a seat I happen to have a manual for sitting next to me at the moment) has a minimum of 20lbs, 27" in height, and one year of age plus able to sit upright unassisted; I don't know if the Canadian version is different.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Graco seats are typically 20 pounds and 1 year. To my knowledge even the Nautilus is 20lbs and age 1. I suppose this will have to change with TC's new regulations being implemented soon.

The CarGo is a perfectly dreadful seat for such a young baby -- even if the child were 1 year old. It has a smidgen of recline but not enough to be supportive. It has deeper sides than some, but again, I cannot imagine thinking it would be comfy for a baby. That said, in the longrun, it's not a terrible HWH seat. It has 17" top slots and harnesses up to 48lbs in Canada. It makes a bad booster, though. So really, overall, it's not a great seat for this mom to have purchased. I'm guessing the $159 price point at Sears won her over?

Would she consider a Graco MyRide?
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    Graco seats are typically 20 pounds and 1 year. To my knowledge even the Nautilus is 20lbs and age 1. I suppose this will have to change with TC's new regulations being implemented soon.

The CarGo is a perfectly dreadful seat for such a young baby -- even if the child were 1 year old. It has a smidgen of recline but not enough to be supportive. It has deeper sides than some, but again, I cannot imagine thinking it would be comfy for a baby. That said, in the longrun, it's not a terrible HWH seat. It has 17" top slots and harnesses up to 48lbs in Canada. It makes a bad booster, though. So really, overall, it's not a great seat for this mom to have purchased. I'm guessing the $159 price point at Sears won her over?

Would she consider a Graco MyRide?
    You know, I hate to say it, but my guess would be no. She is bashing people for replying to her that 9 months old is far too young, she is bashing anyone (myself included) that keeps their child RF past 2 years of age, saying we should just make them live in a bubble...............so I'd have to guess she's not open to suggestions........

It's just bugging me, and thought I'd get my facts straight!
    ~CRST with CPSAC~

Oh good grief, a RF'ing seat is not a bubble. If we wanted to be that overprotective, none of us would ever put our children in a vehicle, period. Crazy lady.

I'd post the video about Joel... assuming she'll even watch it.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]YouTube- Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos[/ame]
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

Quote Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
    Oh good grief, a RF'ing seat is not a bubble. If we wanted to be that overprotective, none of us would ever put our children in a vehicle, period. Crazy lady.

I'd post the video about Joel... assuming she'll even watch it.
    YouTube- Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos
    I believe that was one of the two I sent her the link to. It's the one that made me cry............
    ~CRST with CPSAC~

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I feel like jumping into that discussion but I'm staying away for now as that mama is not listening (atm). Hopefully she will watch video you sent and changed her mind.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Yes I read that thread also. I don't think she is going to change her mind AT.ALL. She had already posted in another forum asking for minimums and was pretty set on turning her baby. She insists the baby is "safe". So sad.
    ~ Laura ~
    CRST-I & Mom to DD#1 November 2005 & DD#2 May 2008 and DD#3 August 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mingie View Post
    Yes I read that thread also. I don't think she is going to change her mind AT.ALL. She had already posted in another forum asking for minimums and was pretty set on turning her baby. She insists the baby is "safe". So sad.
    Da Nile... not just a river in Egypt.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

Carseat Crazy

OYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This lady sounds like my MIL and my FIL who is a 20 police officer :S
    Rochelle CRST
    Chelsea 5 years old 41lbs FF in a Radian 65 and
    Melissa 3 Years old 34 in a 2010 Radian XT and Elliot 1 year 20lbs RF Safe Seat

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

To clarify the list for Canada, Graco My Ride, the Radian and all Cosco/Dorel are min 22lbs and 1yr. True Fit is 23lbs minimum to ff.

The My Ride manual is written to meet the new standards.

The Britax and Evenflo seats and the other Graco seats will need to be revised.

Manufacturers have until January 1, 2011 to comply. I know Britax is bringing in new infant/child seats, and Evenflo is also bringing in new infant/child seats. I haven't seen anything about the Evenflo child/booster seats or Nautilus yet, but I'm sure it's coming - I expect those seats are just going to get new manuals and stickers.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.