Seat Suggestion for a big 3 year old

wvmommy007

A friend of mine has a big 3 year old, not sure of his exact weight. She MAY need a new seat for him. He's in a Vantage, and it hasn't been checked for the belt slipping issue. If it has it though, what seat should I recommend? I don't think he'll be 4 before hitting 40 lbs, so a higher weight seat would be good. Possibly a combo with booster option. It would have to be cheap, and hopefully available at walmart. It's all we got close enough by to get her to get a new one. I know of the MyRide and the 65 lb weight limit, but $150 may be a hard sell for her. Ideas? Thanks.

ADS

DahliaRW

Do you have a sears near or can you order online? I'd look at the maestro. It's 65-70ish and should last until ready for a booster, and then a cheapo turbobooster would work well.

wvmommy007

Who makes the Maestro? I'm heading off to walmart.com to look around anyway. His bday is coming up, when he'll actually be 3. I might go big and get him one. The only place here to see seats is walmart unless you travel 2+ hours away.

ETA: We do have a Sears. I didn't read that right. Sorry!

urchin_grey

The Evenflo Maestro has tall top harness slots and harnesses to 50lbs. It runs about $80. I wouldn't waste money on a My Ride though if she's not going to use it RF'ing.

urchin_grey

Who makes the Maestro? I'm heading off to walmart.com to look around anyway. His bday is coming up, when he'll actually be 3. I might go big and get him one. The only place here to see seats is walmart unless you travel 2+ hours away.

Evenflo. :)

ETA: I'm not sure you'll find it at Walmart... For combo seats, both of our Walmart stores only carry Dorel highbacks/combos, the Evenflo Chase, and the Graco Nautilus. :rolleyes:

Qarin

The Nautilus would seem to be a good choice to me, if she can manage the $150 (the MyRide would not make sense for him).

wvmommy007

I found out, he weighs about 40 lbs. and will be 3 in 10 days. Any seats that would be pretty cheap that harness to 50 or 65 but DON'T booster later that might be a good choice? Or does a nonboostering seat just seem silly at his age and weight? I'm just looking for the cheapest way to keep him in a harness, in case I end up being the buyer. :)

urchin_grey

I found out, he weighs about 40 lbs. and will be 3 in 10 days. Any seats that would be pretty cheap that harness to 50 or 65 but DON'T booster later that might be a good choice? Or does a nonboostering seat just seem silly at his age and weight? I'm just looking for the cheapest way to keep him in a harness, in case I end up being the buyer. :)

The absolute cheapest would still be the Maestro. Hopefully he doesn't gain those last 10lbs too quickly though. :eek:

chasingboys

In that price range, I think the Nautilus is your best choice unless you can find her a clearanced Regent somewhere. The Regent was made for kids like him. He is definitely going to need a higher than 50lb limit seat. I bet he'll be 50lbs before he's 4. My own 4y/o is 55lbs. (he's also taller than 4' though) lol

It looks like they raised the price of the Regent...maybe you can find her one here on FSOT.

urchin_grey

Does the maestro booster? And if so, is it a good one?

Yes, but its outgrown very shortly after the harness is outgrown by height. But, if he hits 50lbs before he outgrows it by height, then yes, he could use it as a booster, and it does make a good booster.

My only concern is that he'll probably still outgrow this seat by weight before booster readiness. Mom is just going to have to step up and get him a higher weight harness seat, kwim?

urchin_grey

If you were to get her the Maestro though, she could always apply at kyledavidmiller.org and hopefully she'll get approved (and he doesn't outgrow the Maestro before then).

Evolily

What does his torso look like? Where is he in relationship to the slots on his current seat?

I might also look at the evenflo generations 65. Whether I chose the generations or the maestro would 100% depend on torso height. If he stays on his growth curve it appears (my chart reading isn't 100% accurate) he'll hit 50 lbs around 4.5 years- I think the generations could possibly last him longer.

If at all possible, though, I'd go with the nautilus. That way you wouldn't be compromising torso height or weight, you'd get both :) .

kidnurse

What about offering to go in for 1/2 with mom on a Nauti. Then the kid can be in a seat that will last him longer without costing either of you more than you can afford or want to spend. My BFF and I did this with a $150 climber for her daughter's 2nd birthday.

TerisBoys

Walmart.com has the Nautilus on sale for $135.54 plus a $10 e-gift card. $125 for a Nauti is a really good deal if you/the two of you can swing that price.

Jennifer mom to my 7

In that price range, I think the Nautilus is your best choice unless you can find her a clearanced Regent somewhere. The Regent was made for kids like him. He is definitely going to need a higher than 50lb limit seat. I bet he'll be 50lbs before he's 4. My own 4y/o is 55lbs. (he's also taller than 4' though) lol

It looks like they raised the price of the Regent...maybe you can find her one here on FSOT.

Actually, my dd was around 41 inches and 41 pounds at 3.25, when she outgrew her decathlon by height. She is still under 50 pounds at 4.5.

Now, hopefully evenflo will get moving and get that maestro certified to 65 pounds, like it is rumored it will:)

wvmommy007

He is right at the top slot on his Vantage. I don't know the height of that though. I saw walmart has the titan which harnesses to 50 but doesn't booster. Is the top slot lower than the meastro? I also saw the generations 65 and wondered if it was comparable in quality, height, booster usage to the nauti. I told her I would get him a seat for his bday. I'm thinking though I'll tell her I can afford a 50 lb seat and would go half on a 65 lb seat. I'd let her pick from the nauti and the myride. The myride would be useful for him to be harnessed longer, then I could buy out her half (or hope for a donation :) ) for use as my daughter's backup. She already said she'd get him another booster, not just use his Vantage, after I told her it didn't hold the belts well anyway.

babyherder

The Nauti will harness longer than the myride. Nauti has higher top slots. Are you worried his mom will take him out of the harness too soon and switch to booster mode if she has the option?

wvmommy007

The Nauti will harness longer than the myride. Nauti has higher top slots. Are you worried his mom will take him out of the harness too soon and switch to booster mode if she has the option?

A little, but she said herself she couldn't imagine him behaving in a booster for a long time. But also I was thinking if I got her a seat that would harness longer without a booster it might be cheaper for me, then she could buy her own turbo, kwim?

I'm still wondering about top slot height on the meastro vs titan. Anyone know? If she won't go half in, I'm probably going to have to settle for a 50 lb. limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC