Successful rescue mission! (MY FIRST!)

Wiggles

Successful rescue mission! (MY FIRST!) (and now announcing my second!)

So my roommate had a job interview and got me from work after (he got the job, yay!). He mentioned that, on his way, he'd seen a carseat on the side of the road. I said "Oh dear... let's go see if the owners will let me have it." I figured it was out for the garbage. We got there and it was on a 'free to good home' pile. Near our home where there are TONNES of poor parents who would happily pick it up and use it.

I've got no idea WHAT it is (it's an Evenflo convertible, Canadian, though!) but here it is! Sorry about the picture quality, I had to use my webcam.

Photoon2010-06-12at18092.jpg

Photoon2010-06-12at18102.jpg

Photoon2010-06-12at18103.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

jaded

It's an Evenflo 7 year, basically the first seat that converted to a booster(but a shield booster. Looks like that one at least has the non-recalled buckle.

Oh, and it was last made in 1993, so you have a 17-20 year old carseat there!

Last edited:

Wiggles

For now, it's gonna be a cat bed until I sort out how to dispose of it. People go through all our trash in the dumpsters and pick out the 'good stuff' for re-use and resale. So I'll have to smash it up pretty good before disposing of it.

kidnurse

Wow, I remember one of the kids I babysat when I was 16 having that seat. I won't say exactly how long ago that was, but safe to say " a while".

tjham - Any paperwork I had that I did not want anyone to get information off of I would shred and put in the bottom of the bag before I scooped the cat box, back when I had a cat. You are the only other person I have ever heard of doing something like that. :D

Wiggles

I may toss it with cat litter and whatever needs cleaning out of my fridge (straps cut, cover shredded) after I'm done gleeing over my rescue missions.

Wiggles

Photoon2010-06-14at1914.jpg

Found a 2002 Graco 3-pt seat on the side of the road on the way to the farmer's market tonight. Picked it up and carried it around (used it as a shopping basket) then brought it home.

I discovered something.

People will ASK why you're carrying a baby seat with no baby. Great opportunity to talk about expiry dates on seats. I had at LEAST a half dozen people ask me about it! I explained that carseats expire because of material degradation and changes in technology.

The cats love the first one and are investigating the second. I'm considering removing the harnesses and re-covering them (taking the shield off the first one) and then re-purposing them as cat beds. I think it'd be a great way to raise funds for some kind of carseat program or KDMF or something, if I sold repurposed carseats like that. Not sure, yet, though. Just something I'm thinking about.

cookie123

Photoon2010-06-14at1914.jpg

Found a 2002 Graco 3-pt seat on the side of the road on the way to the farmer's market tonight. Picked it up and carried it around (used it as a shopping basket) then brought it home.

I discovered something.

People will ASK why you're carrying a baby seat with no baby. Great opportunity to talk about expiry dates on seats. I had at LEAST a half dozen people ask me about it! I explained that carseats expire because of material degradation and changes in technology.

The cats love the first one and are investigating the second. I'm considering removing the harnesses and re-covering them (taking the shield off the first one) and then re-purposing them as cat beds. I think it'd be a great way to raise funds for some kind of carseat program or KDMF or something, if I sold repurposed carseats like that. Not sure, yet, though. Just something I'm thinking about.

Good to know! Now we know an effective way to get the info out there!

Wiggles

I may use it as a shopping basket more often. It's quite light without the base. So I'm thinking of getting some brochures to hand out to people when they ask.

robbertbobbert

There's a mom at daycare who has her 8mo in that same infant seat you posted. I tried to ask her about it. She said her older son (3yrs) had used it after they got it on craigslist.

So not only is it an expired seat, they got it from someone they don't know. We tried to convince her to get a new one but she wouldn't. She does, however, leave the baby with me upstairs when she takes her son downstairs to his classroom every day. When she's doing that I adjust the harness and chest clip... I know that may not be much but I at least like to feel like I've done something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC