Which crotch buckle position do your babies/kids use in the Britax seats...

Holly

... That have more than one position for it (since I know the MA's only have one).

Ds is 15 months and is now in the RA50. I put the crotch strap through the middle slot, but it still seems like it needs to be out further. It's hard to unbluckle him because it's almost like he's sitting on the strap.
Am I just too used to how he fit in the FPSVD (which had to be in the outer most position) or does he really need to have it in that slot?

I can take some pics later, my car isn't here right now.
I just wanted to see if you guys have used the seat for a kid who did need it on the furthest in or the middle slot?

ADS

Stacy

We just got DD a RA50 so this is her first Britax with an adjustable crotch stap. It's still sitting in the living room, but I sat her in it and the middle slot fits her pretty well.

I don't think Britax (nor any other company) allows the strap to be in the furthest slot for RF. I assume that's because it would interfere with the belt/latch straps. Am I right about that?

Last edited:

Holly

I'll have to double check the manual, I didn't think to check if any of them couldn't be used for RF. I know I read something that says to use the closest slot to the child that is not underneath them.

My friend just got a RA50 too and tried it for the first time today. Her ds is 10 months and he needed the middle slot.

Holly

Ok, I just checked. You are right, it says not to use slot 3 for RF mode.
I guess I'll have to go change it again.
Thats going to be annoying! Ds is only 15 months, he's going to be RFing in this seat for a long time to come still and the middle position is hard to buckle and unbuckle, it seems too short when it's there, like he's sitting on part of it.

ETA, does this contradict itself?
From the manual:

This child seat is shipped with the buckle in position 1 (Fig A). Use buckle position 1, 2, or 3 that is closest to but not underneath your child. Do not use buckle position 3 in rear-facing mode.

Ok, so what if you are RFing a child who would have position 1 and 2 underneath them?

Holly

Ok, I just dug around some old threads here. It sounds like Britax used to not specify that the 3rd slot was not to be used for RFing. It sounds like it was changed because parents were routing the belt wrong and making it interefere with the buckle strap. Is that right?
So since I know how to thread it right and install it right, would I be ok to keep using it in the 3rd slot while RF?

I've had my FPSVD since March 2008 and have used it mostly RFing. It can only have the buckle in the furthest out slot, and I've been very good at installing it since day 1. The RA50 is ridiculously similar to the FPSVD, and I can install it just as quickly and easily, but also correctly.
I'm going to call Britax tomorrow to ask about this. I just can't see how we'd be able to use the middle slot the entire RFing time in this seat.
My kids RF to at least 3 years old, he's going to get so much bigger before we turn him around, and it's already difficult at this age.

Stacy

I also wonder what they'll say. I'm supposed to call them tomorrow, too, about those mysterious RA50 lock-offs they're selling on their website.

vonfirmath

My son is almost-3 and uses the middle slot of the RA50. At first it seemed too close, but I've never had any problems with the Marathon and it has not been a problem with the RA50 either. Certianly, when we switch him FF, I will not be moving out to slot 3.

NannyMom

Isn't the middle slot the same as the only slot in the MA? And kids can RF to 4 and 5yrs in the MA. We never had any trouble with Sofi in the MA at 3. BabyS will be in the MA today, I'll see how it is for her.

kaleigh71

I had asked the same question a few days ago. It almost seems as if the strap is shorter than on the MA. Maybe I will compare them later. I don't have the same issue in the MA, so if the slot is in the same position on both shells it would almost have to be the length of the buckle strap.

Spam

A needs the third slots. I put in the second just to see his fit rfing since he already weighs 35lbs and it seemed incredibly short. I'm getting used to the 3rd slot, but it still seems short. I remember the blvd took some getting used to at first because it seemed so short but after a few times it was fine and then the MR seemed weird since it's so long.

Madeline410

My 2.5yr old, 30 pounder uses the middle slot in her RF RA50, but it's pretty far under her. It's a pain to unbuckle. I wish I could use the 3rd one!

Holly

It would be great if someone who has a MA and RA50 could measure the straps and see if the RA50's is shorter. If thats the case, I'll probably order a longer strap to use.
I called Britax, I can't remember the exact words the lady said about why it can't be in the 3rd slot, it sounded like BS to me. I'm going to call back and try to get a different person.
She said to make sure ds is seated as far back in the seat as possible (well, duh, he always is).
If the strap is shorter, I'll order a longer one. If it's the same, sothing has to be off because this is definitely not working. Ds is only 15 months, he is not that big of a kid.

Laurette

No the middle slot is not the same as the only slot on the MA, the MA is 7 inches and the RA50 middle slot is 5.5 inches.

skitle1802

The black is off of the new RA50 Sutton from Target and the tan is off my 07 MA (single click) So it seems the middle slot on the RA50 vs the MA's only position is what is giving everyone problems.
MAvsRA50.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC