Vent I got a ticket!

momma2kda

Yesterday I had my 11 month old RF in the pass. back seat. I had my niece FF in the middle. I had a 1 year old i was watching RF behind the driver. And my 10 year old sister was in the front pass. seat. Please keep in mind i drive a Nissan Maxima and i felt that was the safest possible way to take the 1 year old. My sister passes the 5 step test(shes big for her age). Well it all started when i got pulled over I was not speeding but my window tint is illegal(its the same tint that was on it the day i bought it). The officer then asked how old my sister was and the babies in the back seat when I answered him he told me that my sister could not sit in the front seat so I asked him exactly where he would place her in the car. The officer than had the balls to tell me that my niece is too old to be sitting in a car seat and i should take her out and my sister and niece should SIT IN LAPS AND SHARE THE MIDDLE SEAT BELT!!! I did not have anything to say to this. Does any one have any advice for me? i can't buy a new car i just did.

ADS

Maedze

If the facts are as you have relayed them here, I am sure you will not have difficulty contesting the ticket.

Edited to add: I am assuming you are talking about a ticket for having a child in the front seat.

If you were not ticketed for that, I don't think this board can help you with a ticket for illegal window tint. Perhaps you can talk to the store that sold you the car.

MomToEliEm

Was your ticket for the illegal tinting or for seatbelt violations? If it was for seatbelt violations, we probably could find the actual law's text to indicate that what you did was fine if all the seatbelts in the back were being used. If it was for just the illegal tinting, then it is probably just a misinformed officer who doesn't have a clue about proper carseat/seatbelt usage.

momma2kda

I was stopped for the TINT but there are papers in the glove box from the previous owner and Nissan did the tint and its not illegal just pretty darn close. The officer ended up giving me a ticket for the seating situation because i refused to "fix it" and risk lives.

momma2kda

I do not feel that the officer knew squat about car seats and seat belts. Its ok though my niece and little sister thought getting pulled over was the coolest thing ever.

Maedze

In that case, I am sure you will not difficulty contesting the ticket. You might stop by the police department and request to speak with the officer's CO.

momma2kda

Thank you!! My mom is suppost to be coming to pick up son in an hour or so I believe I may go then. I have had several people around here tell me to just pay it cause it would be pointless to fight it.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
That is the most ridiculous ticket I've ever heard of! Take a child out of a car seat that clearly needs to be in one of some sort and have them SHARE a seatbelt! That is surely not even legal. What state are you in? Let's find the actual law for you and you take that and contest that baby! Let's try to get that officer a little more educated and maybe in trouble while you're at it!
NUTS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Does your sister actually pass the 5-step test in the front seat? I'm 5'5" and don't pass in many cars -- I find it hard to believe that a 10yo (even a big one) truly does. If she does not, she needs a backless booster in the front seat.

Alternatively, how old is your FFing niece? She could go up front in her harnessed seat.

Obviously telling you that the kids should share seatbelts is ridiculous and you should fight that ticket, but I'm not sure that the setup you have described is indeed the safest.

momma2kda

and i have a backless booster ill see if the fit looks better in it. if not ill throw her in the back middle and my niece up front. All seats have lap shoulder belts.

Maedze

and i have a backless booster ill see if the fit looks better in it. if not ill throw her in the back middle and my niece up front. All seats have lap shoulder belts.

Does the rear middle have a head rest? If not, there's a good chance a 10 year old in a backless booster will be too tall to have correct head rest support.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I live in a tiny Kentucky county. My niece is 7.

According to the IIHS:

40 inches or less in a child restraint; 6 and younger who are between 40 and 50 inches tall in a booster seat

law states no preference for rear seat

So, I don't see how he could think that you're doing anything illegal. And clearly he has no idea about "best practice" (or even bare minimums, if he thinks two big kids should share a seat belt!).

I would most definitely contact his CO and let them know about this. They need to know that this officer - and perhaps others - needs some basic CPS information.

momma2kda

Does the rear middle have a head rest? If not, there's a good chance a 10 year old in a backless booster will be too tall to have correct head rest support.

I forgot about that but i would have remembered after put the seat in and noticed. I could puzzle a convertable seat in the middle and put her behing the driver. i have had AOE on base to raise it before then AO3n1 off base kind of puzzled under the AOE and my old touriva behind the driver im sure i could do that again. And it would be easier this time she can hold the booster while i buckle the middle seat in.

urchin_grey

:eek:

I would probably do like the others and put the harnessed 7yo up front with the seat pushed back (she is better protected since she's harnessed) and the 10yo in the back, possibly boostered. But the ticket is completely unfounded. I would fight it too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC