RA50 shallow?

kdkm

I ended up getting one of the clearance RA50 and after messing with it a little bit I am not sure I am really impressed. It seems really shallow to me like it would uncomfortable for a bigger kid. I have only tried my small 9 month old niece in it so far and she seems to fit well but I am going to try my 2 1/2 year old little sister (who is also pretty small) in it tomorrow and I just don't see how she will be comfortable (although I know it has to be more comfy than her ancient Tribute she rides in now in my grandparents car).

I guess I don't have much to compare it to though. The only seat I have a lot of experience with is the MyRide. It definitely feels a lot more stable though which I like. I really hopes she fits though as I would love to get her out of that old Tribute that I am sure she outgrown.

Does anyone have any pictures of older kids in the RA50? Is the shallowness an issue?

I am hoping to be able to get pictures to post tomorrow but no one in my family likes to play car seats, not even the babies. Hopefully they will be cooperative.

ADS

rachelandtyke

The current Britax seats are on the shallow side, thus why you will see it mentioned that there is not much leg room rf for an older child.

I also got a RA50 this week. I measured it to have an inch or more room than my Boulevard did, however.

I can say that my DD rode in the Blvd rf until she was 4y4m and then in it ff until she was 4y6m and we gave it to DS and moved her to a TF. She never once complained about it not being comfortable. YMMV, however.

essnce629

Yes it is kind of shallow, just like all the current Britax convertibles. I got one this week on clearance too. My DS1 rode in a Britax BV and a FPSVD (same shell as Marathon/RA50) and he fit in both till a few months before his 5th birthday. He outgrew them RF'ing by weight at 2 1/2 years old though so I don't have any personal experience with using them RF'ing for bigger kids. It's definately much shallower than my TFP that DS2 has been in since 9 months. I actually put the RA50 in my car and took out the TFP since the RA50 is a little bit better fit for babies (DS2 is 12 months). It also takes up less room than my TFP so I'll have much more leg room in the passenger's seat this weekend when we go out of town. I also like the super smooth harness adjuster! The britax convertibles are great for infants and small RF'ing toddlers, but the TFP seems like an awesome seat for larger RF'ing todders and FF'ing kids (my DS2 is almost 7 and is just even with the top slots).

aeormsby

I don't have any recent pictures, but my 4.5yo still rides in her Marathon (same shell as the RA50) and often say's it's comfier than her Frontier. She's on the smaller side but I think she'll fit for another 1-2 years, although she might start to be more comfortable in her Frontier at that point. She RF in it until just after she turned 3 as she was approaching the 33lb RF limit (older seats).

So, there are seats out there that may fit better as kids get bigger, but the RA50 should fit most kids for quite a while too.

vonfirmath

My almost 3-year old is riding in a RA50 (RFing) with no problems. And he's not what I would consider small.

Jennifer mom to my 7

2 years 9 months, rf decathlon (average sized kid)

IMG_8269_9.jpg

You can see leg room here.

IMG_8268_8.jpg

Last time rf, 25 months, 33 pounds, 36.5 inches.

IMG_7174_3.jpg

Forward facing

IMG_7711_3.jpg

Just about outgrown marathon, 3.5 years old, 42 inches, 42 pounds.

seat2.jpg

THe girls are at the top of the growth charts, and are long torsoed, too.

Madeline410

Britax seats are definitely shallow.

IMG_2236.jpg

Here is my 39" 2.5 year old. She has been in this seat 3-4 times now and hasn't complained.

1ac07a9e.jpg

in a Complete Air. Definitely more leg room, but she isn't bothered by the RA.

IMG_2251.jpg

My 41" 4.5 year old (who is over the weight limit, just a pic for fun)

IMAG1706.jpg

and in the CA

Holly

I got one too. It seems identical to the FPSVD that I already have.
Last summer, my two girls were using the FPSVD and a radian. They have about the same size torsos so their seats always fit both of them.
They would always fight over who got to sit in the "cow seat" (We have a cowmoo MA cover on it). I got a 2nd radian so they'd each have one and put my baby into the FPSVD from his infant seat.
The girls were 2 1/2 and 4 last summer when we switched the seats. They still fit in it and liked it, we just wanted to take the baby out of the infant seat he was in.

Now that we have the RA50, thats the baby's main seat and our FPSVD is going to be a spare in my dh's vecicle.
All my kids fit in it, my oldest will be 5 next month, and she still loves it.
She has long legs too, it seems to still offer her enough leg support.

I do think our radians have more leg room, but it hasn't seemed to matter so far.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Here's my dd rf in hers to the old limit of 33 pounds... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx
Yeah, in our small sedan (Toyota Echo 4 door), it got prohibitively time consuming to fold her in half and put her in RF (toddler origami... http://www.car-seat.org/album.php?albumid=23&pictureid=140 :love:) due to the lack of legroom, but in the van we reclined the seatback a notch or two, still with a rock solid install, and she was comfy up to age 4.5 when she hit the weight limit.
(the pictures show her in the CR-V and the Odyssey, not in our old Echo)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC