Infant seat dilemma

Little Ps Mama

We're expecting our second baby in August. Our 21 month old son is RF in a MR 65 behind the passenger seat. The other day, I brought out our Graco SS1 to check the install behind the driver seat. Long story short, with my husband sitting in the passenger seat in front of the MR (which is installed as upright as is comfortable for DS), he has just enough room to be comfortable. Sitting in front of the SS1, installed with the base, he is uncomfortably close to the wheel. Installed without the base, there is plenty of room in front of the infant seat, but I am not comfortable with the idea of installing without the base every time we bring the carseat in and out of the car.

So my question is, is there another infant car seat out there that might take up a bit less room when installed with the base behind the driver seat? I don't want to FF my son anytime soon and I don't want to use the infant seat without the base. Also, the two seats will not install side-by-side in our car, so having one in the middle and the other in an outboard position won't work.

Any suggestions?

ADS

rachelandtyke

I've only used a snugride22 and evenflo (takes up TONS of room).

You may want to go to BRU and try out the different seats available in the car to see what will work best for your situation.

icnee

What if you put the baby on the other side and got a convertable that would take up les front to back room. Would that work?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
What kind of car, and can you install the infant seat in the center? Is the MR installed with latch or seat belt?

Spam

The kf30 takes up less room than the ss1, or you could skip the bucket and get another convertible like the Myride or cocorro.

Little Ps Mama

Thanks for the replies!

I was looking at the KFs. In hindsight, I wish we had purchased that seat for our first son. I'm a little hesistant to plunk more money down on another infant seat but I am keeping it in mind as an option to look into.

We do have two MRs so I thought about just putting the newborn into the convertible from the start, but in order to have the recline be right, it will take up more room than DS's MR which is installed at a more upright angle behind the passenger. I'm not sure that it will give us much more wiggle room, but I could try it.

We have a Dodge Charge, so it's a good size sedan.

Any recommendations for a convertible that takes up less room RF than a MR?

Little Ps Mama

What kind of car, and can you install the infant seat in the center? Is the MR installed with latch or seat belt?

I tried installing the infant seat in the middle with both seats installed with LATCH (our Dodge Charger has a center LATCH set), but they don't fit next to each other because of the MRs cupholders.

aeormsby

How big is your 21mo? Another option could be to get a seat like the Scenera or Avenue for him to use while the baby is using the infant seat. They are much narrower than the Myride and you could probably fit it outboard with the Snugride center.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Just checking-- do you have the handle up on the infant seat? That can save space, want to make sure that's not an issue.

Little Ps Mama

How big is your 21mo? Another option could be to get a seat like the Scenera or Avenue for him to use while the baby is using the infant seat. They are much narrower than the Myride and you could probably fit it outboard with the Snugride center.

He's on the smaller side. He's about 32 inches and 23 lbs.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I tried installing the infant seat in the middle with both seats installed with LATCH (our Dodge Charger has a center LATCH set), but they don't fit next to each other because of the MRs cupholders.

Try with seat belts. It gives your more room. Close the door and put the my ride as close to the door as possible, and install there.

Little Ps Mama

Try with seat belts. It gives your more room. Close the door and put the my ride as close to the door as possible, and install there.

I just went out and tried installing the MR with the seat belt behind the passenger and installing the infant seat with LATCH in the middle and it worked! I got a nice secure fit with both seats, and I'll have enough room to ride next to baby behind the driver seat if necessary. Perfect! Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC