Min weight listed on side of Graco Cargo?

dragonfly8

What is it? Does anyone know if it's 20 or 22 lbs? There is a (getting) heated debate on another site I visit, someone thinks it's safe to put their (in my opinion) too young, too light child FF into a graco cargo. This child isn't even a year old yet.
She said the seat states it's safe to use from 20lbs on....................

I know we can't tell people what to do when it comes to car seat safety, but it frustrates me when we educate them as to why RF is safest, and why there are minimum recommendations, and they don't seem to care.

I provided a couple of youtube links on crash testing, does anyone have one that really provides a clear visual of what could happen? I hate asking, I watched one video today that brought me to tears.............it all seems so simple. Safely restrain your child, no matter what stage their at!

ADS

dragonfly8

The Graco CarGo has a minimum of 20 pounds and 1 year for use in harnessed mode.

Oh wow, thanks! Do most FF seats state 22lbs? Why was I thinking that?
Maybe I'm confused and thinking that most RF infant only seats go to a max weight of 22lbs......unless of course people have the higher weight infant only seats.

So if it states minimum one year AND 20 lbs, if this child is 9 months, 21lbs, she really has no choice but to get a different seat to accomodate for the time until he turns 1, right? Or hope that he doesn't gain that few oz to hit the 22lb limit on the bucket until then.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Maedze

Dorel seats generally have a 22 lb minimum to forward face. Almost every other company has a 20 lb minimum, except The First Years, which has a 23 lb minimum.

Qarin

It seems that many convertible seats have a minimum of 22lbs for forward-facing, but that forward-facing only seats generally have a minimum of 20lbs (the Frontier being a notable exception). For whatever it's worth, the United States version of the Graco Nautilus (a seat I happen to have a manual for sitting next to me at the moment) has a minimum of 20lbs, 27" in height, and one year of age plus able to sit upright unassisted; I don't know if the Canadian version is different.

canadiangie

Graco seats are typically 20 pounds and 1 year. To my knowledge even the Nautilus is 20lbs and age 1. I suppose this will have to change with TC's new regulations being implemented soon.

The CarGo is a perfectly dreadful seat for such a young baby -- even if the child were 1 year old. It has a smidgen of recline but not enough to be supportive. It has deeper sides than some, but again, I cannot imagine thinking it would be comfy for a baby. That said, in the longrun, it's not a terrible HWH seat. It has 17" top slots and harnesses up to 48lbs in Canada. It makes a bad booster, though. So really, overall, it's not a great seat for this mom to have purchased. I'm guessing the $159 price point at Sears won her over?

Would she consider a Graco MyRide?

dragonfly8

Graco seats are typically 20 pounds and 1 year. To my knowledge even the Nautilus is 20lbs and age 1. I suppose this will have to change with TC's new regulations being implemented soon.

The CarGo is a perfectly dreadful seat for such a young baby -- even if the child were 1 year old. It has a smidgen of recline but not enough to be supportive. It has deeper sides than some, but again, I cannot imagine thinking it would be comfy for a baby. That said, in the longrun, it's not a terrible HWH seat. It has 17" top slots and harnesses up to 48lbs in Canada. It makes a bad booster, though. So really, overall, it's not a great seat for this mom to have purchased. I'm guessing the $159 price point at Sears won her over?

Would she consider a Graco MyRide?

You know, I hate to say it, but my guess would be no. She is bashing people for replying to her that 9 months old is far too young, she is bashing anyone (myself included) that keeps their child RF past 2 years of age, saying we should just make them live in a bubble...............so I'd have to guess she's not open to suggestions........

It's just bugging me, and thought I'd get my facts straight!

urchin_grey

Oh good grief, a RF'ing seat is not a bubble. :rolleyes: If we wanted to be that overprotective, none of us would ever put our children in a vehicle, period. Crazy lady.

I'd post the video about Joel... assuming she'll even watch it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]YouTube- Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos[/ame]

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I feel like jumping into that discussion but I'm staying away for now as that mama is not listening (atm). Hopefully she will watch video you sent and changed her mind.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Yes I read that thread also. I don't think she is going to change her mind AT.ALL.:( She had already posted in another forum asking for minimums and was pretty set on turning her baby. She insists the baby is "safe". So sad.

urchin_grey

Yes I read that thread also. I don't think she is going to change her mind AT.ALL.:( She had already posted in another forum asking for minimums and was pretty set on turning her baby. She insists the baby is "safe". So sad.

Da Nile... not just a river in Egypt.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
To clarify the list for Canada, Graco My Ride, the Radian and all Cosco/Dorel are min 22lbs and 1yr. True Fit is 23lbs minimum to ff.

The My Ride manual is written to meet the new standards.

The Britax and Evenflo seats and the other Graco seats will need to be revised.

Manufacturers have until January 1, 2011 to comply. I know Britax is bringing in new infant/child seats, and Evenflo is also bringing in new infant/child seats. I haven't seen anything about the Evenflo child/booster seats or Nautilus yet, but I'm sure it's coming - I expect those seats are just going to get new manuals and stickers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC