anone know? PA carseat law

pj2rc

I thought PA law was RF to 1 AND 20 lbs; 5 pt harness to 4 AND 40 lbs; booster to 8 AND 80 lbs. I just found is page
http://www.cruisinwithkids.com/PennsylvaniaChildandInfantCarSeatSafetyInformation.html
and it says "Pennsylvania state law requires children under the age of 4 to ride in a federally approved car seat or booster that is appropriate for the child's age, height and weight. Children ages 4 - 8 must use a booster seat if they are no longer riding in a car seat. Children ages 8 - 18 must use a seatbelt whenever they are in a vehicle regardless of where they are seated.

anyone know what is correct?

ADS

Qarin

http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol33/33-13/564.html

I'm not a lawyer, but I read that to say that to age 4, a child must be harnessed, and from 4 through 7 must be in a booster, except that if a child ages 4-7 is under 40lbs that child may use a harnessed seat... except that the definitions of "child booster seat" and "child passenger restraint system" both reference the same standard, which would suggest that both really mean both booster and harnessed seats.

In any case, it's very clearly 8-or-80-or-4'9", 4-regardless-of-weight (except for the definition confusion i have), and there is no rear-facing requirement.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Child booster seat—A belt positioning seat designed and manufactured to meet Federal motor vehicle safety standards in 49 CFR 571.213 (relating to child restraint systems) to position a child to properly sit in a Federally- approved safety seat belt system.

Child passenger restraint system—

(i) A device or system to enhance the safety of children in motor vehicles which is designed and manufactured for use in motor vehicles equipped with a safety seat belt system and which meets the Federal motor vehicle safety standards in 49 CFR 571.213.

(ii) The term includes a child booster seat.

Department—The Department of Transportation of the Commonwealth.

Safety seat belt system—Any strap, webbing or similar device designed to secure a person in a motor vehicle to mitigate the results of any accident, including buckles, fasteners and all installation hardware as specified by 49 CFR 571.209 (relating to Standard No. 209; seat belt assemblies).
§ 102.102. Physical criteria for use of child passenger restraint system.

(a) General criteria. Children under 4 years of age shall be securely fastened in a safety seat belt system and a child passenger restraint system appropriate for their height and weight in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer. Children 4 years of age but younger than 8 years of age shall be securely fastened in a safety seat belt system and an appropriately fitting child booster seat in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer.
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter102/chap102toc.html

This is the actual 2006 law, not someone else's interpretation. Unless it has changed, it states very clearly that a child passenger restraint system, required to age 4, includes a booster seat.

Maedze

There is also a proper use clause. That means that yes, a child must be 1 and 20 to forward face because no manufacturer has minimums smaller than that.

Parents must also follow the minimums listed by the manufacturers on boosters.

pj2rc

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap102toc.html

I just re-read his again --- I hope I am reading it wrong. I understand the under 4 includes a booster. But it seems to say 4-8 must ride in a booster. Exceptions include children over 4 but under 40 lbs can ride in a car seat (5 pt harness) or 4+ in a car w/o shoulder safety belts can use a 5pt harness ...... according to that - would I be technically breaking the law to have my 4+ yr old who is over 40 lbs riding in a 5 pt harness if all my seas have shoulder belts??? Not that I think anyone would be stupid enough to ticket me for it and good luck trying to enforce it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There is also a proper use clause. That means that yes, a child must be 1 and 20 to forward face because no manufacturer has minimums smaller than that.

Graco Comfortsport lists 20 pounds, but no minimum age to forward face.

Wendy

ame0312

hey mama! im in central pa too! im in everett (in the middle of bedford & breezewood).. where are you? (if you don't mind sharing... i havent found anyone on this board nearby!)

Lemonade

I'm in the Philly area - north side.

Since the definition of booster is ambiguous it seems like it's fine to have a child older than 4 in a harness. Otherwise, I'm breaking the law.

pj2rc

For under 4 it specifically says "child passenger restraint system, which shall include booster" but for 4-8 it says booster. If they hadn't made the clarification on the under 4, I think I wouldn't have noticed. Also -- if under 4 & over includes booster .... why didn't they just do away with the under 4 and over 4 and just say anyone under age 8, 80 #, 4'9" needs to be in a child restraint system - which includes a booster? I really think the way it is written, they are basically saying 4+ must be in a booster, unless he qualifyfor an exception. I don't get it.

ame0312

pa law sucks... thats all i know... people don't listen to it anyway... i see 2 yr olds & boosters & sooo many kids in nothing at all!

Pixels

I think technically, the law only allows for a harnessed seat for kids under 4. It also doesn't allow for use of LATCH to install your carseat, as it specifically says it must be used with the seatbelt.

I doubt that any cop would ticket for using a harnessed seat for a 5yo (otherwise properly used), or that a court would convict, but technically they could.

pj2rc

I think technically, the law only allows for a harnessed seat for kids under 4. It also doesn't allow for use of LATCH to install your carseat, as it specifically says it must be used with the seatbelt.

I doubt that any cop would ticket for using a harnessed seat for a 5yo (otherwise properly used), or that a court would convict, but technically they could.

That's how I was reading it too .... wonder about LATCH boosters? they technically use both? I can't believe they would write the law and specifically dis-allow harnesses as long as they are used according to manufacturer guidelines. Especially since seats and best practice change regularly (much more so than laws do :whistle:)

jraohc

I'm here today looking for an answer to this. As I read the law it sounds like my 4-8 year old who is over 40 pounds must be in a booster seat, but I sure plan on continuing to use the car seat (Britax Regent) and not a booster seat for her.

For under 4 it specifically says "child passenger restraint system, which shall include booster" but for 4-8 it says booster. If they hadn't made the clarification on the under 4, I think I wouldn't have noticed. Also -- if under 4 & over includes booster .... why didn't they just do away with the under 4 and over 4 and just say anyone under age 8, 80 #, 4'9" needs to be in a child restraint system - which includes a booster? I really think the way it is written, they are basically saying 4+ must be in a booster, unless he qualifyfor an exception. I don't get it.

pj2rc

I think technically you are breaking the law, but if anyone ever amde anything of it, I can't see them pushing it. Good luck trying to force me to reduce my child's safety. I doubt anyone would ever realize you are breaking the law anyway because no one understands anything about carseat safety anyway or cares --- except for the people on these boards. Everyone else seems to see it as a neccessary evil that they do to avoid a ticket, not really keep their kid safe, because nothing would ever happen to their kids anyway. How ridiculous that it is LEGAL to booster your 2 yr old but ILLEGAL to harness your 4 yr old. ARRRGHHHHHHHH. I really have a mind to contact my state rep's

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC