Finally a Ped. who knows her stuff!

agurlsride

I just had a discussion with the Ped. who is working our Urgent Care tonight and I was surprised to know that she knew so much about CPS. She knew about the 5-step test (she has her 10yr old still in a booster), she also had her 2.5yr old rf'ing until she turned 2..Our tech told her how I was "obsessed with car seats" and the doc asked for recommendations on a new seat for her 2.5yr old because her MA was expiring. I showed her the new ProSport as well as the Frontier and RNXTSL. I think she wants to go with the Recaro:). I'm so happy I could have a conversation with someone who agreed me about how important it is to keep your child restrained as long as possible!

ADS

Maedze

It's not necessary to keep your child 'restrained as long as possible' :confused:

(By restrained I assume you mean harnessed). It's only necessary to harness to booster size and maturity.

I'm curious why you recommend the Radian if the child is forward facing (not that I wouldn't prefer a two year old to be rear facing).

It makes more sense to suggest combination seats for a forward facing child, like the Maestro and Nautilus. (The Frontier 85 and ProSport were good.)

agurlsride

LOL...yes..harnessed...not restrained, although sometimes I wish I could keep my kids restrained...
I was actually more just throwing out seat names rather than suggestions...the Radian was mentioned when I told her about being able to keep her child rf'ing. I didn't mention the Nauti or Maestro because (I know this is probably not proper to say) she can afford a more expensive seat(I also know that more expensive isn't necessarily better)...and from what I've heard, the Nauti doesn't always make a good booster. Her children are half asian and very small, I do think if she had chosen to go with the Radian her child would have a long time in the seat and apparently it was one of the seats she was considering before we talked.

Maedze

LOL...yes..harnessed...not restrained, although sometimes I wish I could keep my kids restrained...
I was actually more just throwing out seat names rather than suggestions...the Radian was mentioned when I told her about being able to keep her child rf'ing. I didn't mention the Nauti or Maestro because (I know this is probably not proper to say) she can afford a more expensive seat(I also know that more expensive isn't necessarily better)...and from what I've heard, the Nauti doesn't always make a good booster. Her children are half asian and very small, I do think if she had chosen to go with the Radian her child would have a long time in the seat and apparently it was one of the seats she was considering before we talked.

Oh my.

Wow.

You didn't mention one of the best combination seats on the market because she can afford a more expensive seat . You are right in saying that this was not 'proper'.

I'm really aghast at what to say here. I keep trying to type a reasonable remark and it's coming out wrong, so I'll have to come back to it :(

mish

Oh my.

Wow.

You didn't mention one of the best combination seats on the market because she can afford a more expensive seat . You are right in saying that this was not 'proper'.

I'm really aghast at what to say here. I keep trying to type a reasonable remark and it's coming out wrong, so I'll have to come back to it :(

Umm, yeah. I'm with Maedze. The Nautilus is also one of the easiest to install. The Radian is not easy to install and we don't know that much yet about the new Recaro. I just cannot believe you would leave out really good seats because they are not expensive enough. Wow.

Lulu

I'm with you on preferring a fr85 to a nautilus if money wasn't an issue, although to be fair if her kids are small she really could get her $$ worth out of a nauti. From what I've read, I'd also never recommend a maestro to someone who didn't need to save money. I'd rather have a good booster seat when I was done with the harness. :shrug-shoulders: I don't think it's a crime to recommend only the seats that you prefer. People can do their own research if they care enough.

I personally would never recommend a Radian to someone that I didn't know really well. I do not think it is user friendly enough to just suggest it and walk away. Most of the people I know IRL would have trouble with this seat if it didn't install easily into their car.

Last edited:

vonfirmath

Even if money isn't an issue, I know I prefer the Nautilus to the Frontier and I have not seen enough of the Frontier85 to know if it makes any difference.

We bought a Britax marathon, and a Maestro (much lighter weight than the Nautilus. Makes a better airplane seat). And would have bought a Nautilus if needed at the time.

chasingboys

For a 2.5y/o I probably wouldn't have recommended the Nautilus over the Frontier 85 either. The Frontier just makes more sense...longer life...NO HEAD SLUMP...more comfy...did I mention no head slump? It was also very easy to install. Because my two boys had such severe head slump issues in the Nautilus, I just can't recommend it to young FF'ers.

I would have definitely given her ALL of the options though...regardless of price. But I would have said, I love the Frontier...Nautilus, not so much.

Evolily

:confused:

The nautilus is one of the best seats out there. The maestro is also a very good option. This is a pediatrician, you weren't just making recommendations for her but by default you were arming her with information to give patients.

The nautilus (and the maestro) will take the vast majority of kids to a more than appropriate booster age. The nautilus will last, forward facing, as long or longer than the frontier (non-85) and the radian. I have a 90th percentile 5 y/o in it with no signs of outgrowing it in the near future. He would also fit in the maestro (with less room, but he'd still fit). The nautilus is also one of the easiest seats to install and use in the vast majority of vehicles.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend on a seat. It matters how well it will protect the child in a car crash. Just because someone has more expendable income doesn't mean they want to (or should have to) buy a more expensive seat.

Oh, and we have no head slump :p .

Maedze

That's my chief problem with this. This pediatrician is in the position of giving safety advice to other parents. She in no way should be led to believe that the more $$$$ the better the product.

Not every child experiences head slump in a Nautilus. In fact, I would hazard a guess that many-to-most don't.

Furthermore, the Nautilus is simply easier to install than the Frontier 85, even with the new improvements. It's a better option for parents who are just parents, not technicians or advocates.

The Maestro is a really fantastic seat, ESPECIALLY given its affordability.

Furthermore, you DON'T know that she 'can afford it'. A lot of people have this impression that doctors are raking in mad loot, and that's rarely true. Pediatricians particularly are on the lowest pay grade of any specialty. Not to mention, I'm guessing because she has a young child she's likely under 40, which means she's in the middle of medical school loan repayment hell...and those loans are easily greater than 100,000. AND with the reimbursement rates from medicaid these days....a lot of pediatricians are struggling to just pay the bills.

LP Mom

Poor OP. I personally don't think recommending a Radian and a Frontier is so horrible and she was spreading the word about extended RFing. People are free to recommend what they like and as a PP said, the parent can always do his/her own research and then decide.

FWIW, I'm also not a fan of the Nautilus.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Poor OP. I personally don't think recommending a Radian and a Frontier is so horrible and she was spreading the word about extended RFing. People are free to recommend what they like and as a PP said, the parent can always do his/her own research and then decide.

:thumbsup:

And I'm thinking the xtsl would may be perfect, it could theoretically last 5 years harnessed and if there's another child, maybe they have to be next to each other sometimes? Who knows what their situation is, it's a very versatile choice.

Lulu

That's my chief problem with this. This pediatrician is in the position of giving safety advice to other parents. She in no way should be led to believe that the more $$$$ the better the product.

Not every child experiences head slump in a Nautilus. In fact, I would hazard a guess that many-to-most don't.

Furthermore, the Nautilus is simply easier to install than the Frontier 85, even with the new improvements. It's a better option for parents who are just parents, not technicians or advocates.

The Maestro is a really fantastic seat, ESPECIALLY given its affordability.

Furthermore, you DON'T know that she 'can afford it'. A lot of people have this impression that doctors are raking in mad loot, and that's rarely true. Pediatricians particularly are on the lowest pay grade of any specialty. Not to mention, I'm guessing because she has a young child she's likely under 40, which means she's in the middle of medical school loan repayment hell...and those loans are easily greater than 100,000. AND with the reimbursement rates from medicaid these days....a lot of pediatricians are struggling to just pay the bills.

I've never heard of a pediatrician recommending a particular brand of car seat to anyone. I really doubt her conversation with the OP will result in her telling patients to spend as much money as possible on a car seat. I think it would be unwise for her to recommend anything other than choosing a seat with high rear facing limits, or a seat with a harness that will last to booster age, and then leaving the parent to their own research. It sounds like this ped is good for that. :thumbsup:

poohbear

FWIW, I'm also not a fan of the Nautilus.

ITA - I was happy/pleasantly surprised when our nurse and pediatrician both STRONGLY recommended RF at least to age 2 starting at our 9 month check up and then repeated it at our 12 month. And gave us a handout on it. When my husband asked about DS's legs, our pediatrician said that he'll be fine, he can cross them or put them on the seat back, and it would be better to have a broken leg than the alternative. In the meantime, I have no less than three friends whose pediatricians have said things like "when their feet push up against the seat, turn them around" or "if they look uncomfortable, turn them around," or my personal favorite, "she's one, turn her around and let her enjoy the world!" I think it's great that OP opened up the dialogue with her pediatrician, since it seems that not many pediatricians are giving out the info!

ETA - I think I'm confused also from reading. when I was researching seats and ultimately went with a BLVD, many people were recommending a Radian. I just was concerned about the install in my car. And most people seem to recommend a Frontier over a Nauti if you can afford the difference, so it sounds like maybe OP made good recs?

Maedze

ETA - I think I'm confused also from reading. when I was researching seats and ultimately went with a BLVD, many people were recommending a Radian. I just was concerned about the install in my car. And most people seem to recommend a Frontier over a Nauti if you can afford the difference, so it sounds like maybe OP made good recs?

This is certainly not true unless there is a specific reason that the child needs to be harnessed longer than above-average or the parent needs a seat that will high-back as long as possible due to lack of head rests. The Nautilus will get even large children to 6+. I absolutely do NOT recommend the Frontier 85 over the Nautilus. They are both good seats.

I take serious exception to the attitudes expressed in this thread. They smack of elitism and brand prejudice, and are inappropriate for anyone who claims to be an advocate of child passenger safety.

Maedze

There is an enormous difference between having a personal preference for a brand, and not telling someone else about an option, or implying that one brand is safer or better when there is no justification for saying so. I am not sure what you mean by 'off to other boards I go'. I assume you are trying to be sarcastic, but I'm not sure to what end.

poohbear

This is certainly not true unless there is a specific reason that the child needs to be harnessed longer than above-average or the parent needs a seat that will high-back as long as possible due to lack of head rests. The Nautilus will get even large children to 6+. I absolutely do NOT recommend the Frontier 85 over the Nautilus. They are both good seats.

I take serious exception to the attitudes expressed in this thread. They smack of elitism and brand prejudice, and are inappropriate for anyone who claims to be an advocate of child passenger safety.

My comment about people recommending a Frontier over a Nauti if you can afford it was certainly not meant to sound elitist. And I'm not sure about brand prejudice. As an example, I'm sure if possible, many people would choose an RA50 as an extra seat in a second car/grandma's car over a Scenera (not because of the name Britax vs. Cosco, but because of the materials, padding, comfort level the Britax seems to provide versus a Scenera). When I found my RA50 for $50 at Target, I was super excited, because I was planning on either buying a $50 Scenera or paying extra to get the extra conveniences that the Britax offered. People on these boards ask for recommendations all the time. I did when I was buying my seat. I never felt like anyone was prejudiced towards one brand or another for any reason other than their own experiences, which is why I asked them in this forum. It doesn't sound like OP didn't mention other seats and from what I read, she was just having a conversation, not formally recommending. I guess I just don't understand what happened in this thread...

Maedze

The OP specifically said she didn't mention two excellent products that come highly recommended because she believed the parent could afford more. That's the difference, and why it's a problem.

This isn't intended to drag the OP down of course, but merely as a general reminder that that sort of attitude is really not appropriate for advocates.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

The OP specifically said she didn't mention two excellent products that come highly recommended because she believed the parent could afford more. That's the difference, and why it's a problem.

This isn't intended to drag the OP down of course, but merely as a general reminder that that sort of attitude is really not appropriate for advocates.

Plenty of people post opinions on products here, including only certain models or excluding others on their own basis of important features or perceived safety or perhaps even personal likes and dislikes. Generally, all these opinions are valid. Ultimately, it's up to the recipient to choose what advice to take. Unless the advice is clearly wrong or contrary to standards set by the curriculum or relevant agency, I'm not sure any of us should judge what is not appropriate for advocates in some general sense. That definitely smacks of elitism.

If you feel someone has made an omission, simply add your suggestions to the lot. Rather than an accusatory response, I suspect a pleasant response is more likely to catch the notice of the OP in regards to a possible revision of their advice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC