Sequoia, Odyssey, Sedona, Sienna???

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
We need to upsize from my beloved, but tiny Nissan Xterra. I wish we could afford a brand new car, but we really can't. I wish there was a 3 row SUV with decent space AND sliding doors! So, I'm trying to justify a Sequoia, but I know they aren't as practical as a minivan AND they are more hoggy on the gas than a minivan would be.

When I look at the minivans, it seems like a no-brainer, I just never saw myself as breaking down to drive a minivan LOL. The Sedona looks very nice and we could get a great deal on a used one. The LX/EX stow and go rear seats would be a must. I don't really know much about the Ody or Sienna.

I love my Xterra's 265HP V6, it "goes" when I need it to go, KWIM? I drove a Toyota Tacoma for some time (prekids of course) and it was such a dog with acceleration.

Please share your thoughts with me!

Last edited:
ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We have a Suburban right now to replace our crashed Odyssey, and the opening and closing of doors thing has been MISERABLE. We tell the kids NOT to open their doors, and have to go around and let them out each side. The other day, I was getting something out of my passenger side and my daughter came up behind me and opened that door--right into DH's car mirror. There's now a mark on the rental. I'm finding that so stressful, as well as finding the access to the rear row to be inconvenient (we were getting one of the kids to crawl through the trunk, but as soon as we put stuff in the trunk it wasn't a great option anymore..) We have an SUV for our 2nd vehicle, and it's wonderful..as a 2nd vehicle. As a primary vehicle?? No way. I had a Pathfinder and a 4Runner prior to getting my first van (2005 Sienna) and loved the van so much that I got an Odyssey to replace it three years later. I'll probably get a 2011 or 2012 Sienna in another year.

I'm totally an SUV girl. I'm so not a soccer/minivan mom.

Given the choices between a used Sedona, Sienna and Odyssey (eliminating the Sequoia, which I think you already have done in your mind).. Wow.. the Sedona is CHEAP to buy used, so if cost is your primary factor then go there. If you're buying newer than the Odyssey tranny problems (I think those ended in 2002ish?) or as new as the newer model years of each of the Sienna and Odyssey, it's a tough call. Having owned both, it's the interior seating that would be the deciding factor. You'll want to check out the 8 passenger and 7 passenger Sienna, and if you prefer that ability to have three across in the Sienna then you probably have your answer. If it's not a big deal for you, and cost isn't the #1 deciding factor then I'd say you'll need to drive the Ody and Sienna. If cost is #1, the Sedona.

Also keep in mind that the Sedona isn't quite as reliable in the older MYs, and does not retain it's value as well as the Ody and Sienna, so unless you're driving it into the ground you may want to re-prioritize where cost comes in :)

-Nicole.

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Thank you so much for your reply, Nicole! You have helped us narrow it down to a Sienna or Odyssey. Top of our budget is about $22,0000. My brain hurts trying to decide which we want. For the 8 seater versions, are those middle row center seats removable? I'm all confused on that. We don't really want an 8 seater, but if we find a good enough deal on one, I need to know whether to consider it or not. I would so appreciate more thoughts/opinions! :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
oh yeah you can remove the 8th seat individually in both. But you don't have to, because for both I just flipped my centre row and left it as a tray table/cup holder for the kids. The 8th seat in the "old" (2004-2010) Sienna is functional as a full seat, but the 8th seat in the Odyssey isn't wide enough to do much of anything with...it does have great storage though :) In the older Odysseys (not my 2008, before that) the 8th seat could be stored in the floor compartment.

My older kids actually climb over the middle seat to get into the back, without any problem at all. :)

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC