traveling by train

moxy

My husband has now thrown out the idea that he would rather take a train to Ontario(from Edmonton) this summer instead of flying.
I'm not sure how seating on a train works, but I don't think they have seatbelts, or do they? What do I do with my carseat and booster seat??

ADS

Qarin

You are correct, trains don't have seatbelts.

You would either check your car seats or carry them on for on-board storage- that probably depends on the train whether there's space in the cars for larger carry-ons (on long-haul Amtrak trains in the states there is, but Canadian rail runs different equipment I am not familiar with- Wikipedia says, "In older class cars there is sufficient space at the front of the car for luggage storage. In contrast, the Renaissance stock only has enough space (underneath the seat) for one small piece of carry-on luggage - the remainder must be checked.").

I love traveling with my kids by train, though I've never done as long a trip as that (looks to be more than 48hours, with a late night start at both ends).

birdflippin'

I traveled on Via from Wpg to Sudbury and back (a 24hour ride one way) when DS1 was 7months old. It was nice but I learned a few things.
1)Unless you are a family of midgets, don't go with econo. Get a berth at the very least. Sleeper car is better.
2) It is not cheap, flying is waaaaaay cheaper if you're going through major airports. If you're not going through a major airport, it's cheaper to fly to the closet one then hop on the train.
3) You can only look at so many trees from Wpg and northern ON. It gets boring really fast (well there is a few tunnels between Souix Lookout and Hornepayne) Bring games and new toys. You will not see wildlife unless you count a few cows before you hit the Canadian shield.
4) Overhead storage is slightly bigger than airplanes. In smaller stops you put the luggage on the train yourself, but not in the major stops. From what I saw they do treat luggage better, but accidents do happen.
5) Meals are not cheap on the train (Brekkie is the best deal) It's cheaper to eat at fuel stops off the train. They do not have booster seats or high chairs for eating on the train if you use the dining car. Bring lots of water and snacks.
6) If you go econo, request the family seating near the plug if you have a portable dvd or laptop. There is only 1 of these per car. Bring extra pillows and blankets along with ear plugs and eye covers. It remains quite bright in the non sleeper cars because of random stops. There is also only 1 diaper change area per car and it's always in use when your kids have a poop blowout in their diaper:rolleyes:

Other than that, it's a beautiful way to travel and is, for the most part, relaxing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC