WWYD need to clean the closet

pj2rc

DD1 is currently in Maestros -- she has 3 -- 1 in each vehicle. DD2 just got a new Avenue to stay RF longer -- only got 1. Also have 3 Titans w/ 30 lb limit -- DD2 will continue to use 2 in other vehicles until she hits weight limit RF (she's at 27.5 # now). I also have 3 Dorel Venturas. So right now 10 seats for 2 kids. even if I use the seats I have, I can change the Titans to FF for DD2 or use the Dorels for DD2 -- so I still have more than I need. So --- I was thinking of craigslisting some of the extra seats and either using 2 of what I have for DD2 in DH's Silverado and my mom's car ... or getting rid of all of the Titan's and Ventura's and getting her more Avenues. ...... here's my problems/thoughts: I know the Dorel's make horrible booster seats -- I would hate to see anyone buy them as a harnessed seat then use them as a booster on teir kid when they get bigger. The Titan's I have show a Do not use after 12/31/10 ... but I just emailed Evenflo last week to question why they were only good for 4.5 yrs based on the manufacture date -- and they said it was an error and they are good until the end of 2012. I know we tell people not to use expired seats, but they aren't really expiring. I could print the email, but people may still be leary. what are your thoughts.Should I / could I sell any and which would you sell if these were the seats you had.

BTW -- DD1 is 4 and about 38 # and DD2 turns 2 in 2 wks and is 27.5#. So I will need to also buy booster seats at some point if that figures into your thoughts anywhere. thanks

Last edited:
ADS

christineka

I'd sell the venturas. Yeah, they don't make good boosters. Just put that in a pamphlet or something for the buyer to read later. If you can then fund another avenue, then sell one of the titans too.

pj2rc

Thanks christineka! bumping up -- just wondering of anyone else has an thoughts -- more WWYD's?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At DD2's age, I would do what you need to do to keep her rearfacing. JMO.

This includes selling the Titans with letter attached or the Venturas. Educate the buyers as best you can, both in your initial post and at the sale, and then let it go. It's on those parents to make an educated decision; I don't think it makes any sense to put your child in a less-safe seat to potentially keep other peoples' kids safe, kwim? Especially because parents who will buy used off CL and disregard your warning on the seats making poor boosters will probably make equally poor choices whether you provide the seats or not.

Further (and maybe this is just justification I would tell myself,) I would rather have parents buy a used/CL seat that you have taken care of, than a used seat someone else may not have. If they're going to buy used/CL without knowing a seat's history, at least YOU know the history of the seat you're selling them, and that their kiddo is safe in it, kwim? I would also add the used seat checklist, and 'check off' your own information on it to provide to the parents. CYA as best you can.

Like Christine said, I think I'd start by selling the Venturas to fund an add'l RF seat, then sell the Titans. That way you're not without a needed seat for any period of time.

The only thing I'd triple-check before listing the Venturas is that they don't have the harness-slip issue.

ETA: I'd deal with the booster issue when you get to it. I would think DD1 has another two years in her Maestros, at which point DD2 can take them (at 4) and you could sell the now-new Avenues (which will still have 4 years left) to fund Turbos. Two years after that, you can either put DD2 in the Maestro as boosters, or buy DD1 a backless Turbo (cheap) and give DD2 the Turbos. Unless you have more children, I think you can move around the "equity" you have in the seats you have now to get you through the rest of your car seat days with minimal outlay.

pj2rc

Thanks -- yeah, I hope o be able to just move things around which is why I do'nt meed all these extra seats! What haness slip problem w/ Venturas? I wasn't aware of anything? I know I checked awhile back to make sure they weren't on any recall lists -- but not sure what you are referencing. If yo can give me some idea what to look for or where, I will certainly check that out.
Also --where do I get the checklist for buyng a used seat?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just to follow up, there has not been a recall on the Venturas. It's a consumer-noticed problem, and although there's been a bit of media on it, insofar as I know there has been no statement on it. So it's on you to check.

As long as the harness isn't slipping, there's not a lot you can do about it, but I would check anyways.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC