Will it work?

Cilia

So, I got two RA50 today at Target - could not resit the price. I will head out into the desert heat to play car seat in my car later tonight once it cool off a bit, but wanted to ask if you think it will work.

I have said 2 RA50 and a 2008 Toyota Matrix. Will I be able to fit then right next to each other? If not, I'll probably just keep one seat. And if they don't, is there a seat out there that puzzles well with the RA50? Hint Radian :whistle: . Or maybe a combo seat?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Not sure, but try both with seat belts, not latch. It will give you more room.

Cilia

I didn't think it would fit the way I wanted it (center and outboard install), but I got a really good install with one center and my SR22 outboard. After that I did not want to play anymore, so I haven't tried two outboard installs. I'll do that later.

Right now I'm really torn. I want to keep them both and I have promised dh to get rid of any spare seats, which is not a biggie. BUT if I keep these two for in my car, which will work outboard, what do I do when we have family in town? I might fit between the two seats in the back, but there is no headrest there. If I keep one for dh's, what do I do with our EFTA?

All my other seats expire next year, The EFTA is good for another couple of years.

Regardless, the RA50 and a possible Radian will not be facing the same way. RA probably rf and RN ff.

Maedze

Regardless, the RA50 and a possible Radian will not be facing the same way. RA probably rf and RN ff.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's not likely. When you have a rear facing Britax next to a forward facing Sunshine Kids, the widest part of the lip on the rear facing seat hits the widest part of the back on the forward facing seat.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I fit a rf DC next to a FF DC in my husband's 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. Plus a Radian XT for a nice 3 across. ;)

The 2 Britax's fit beautifully side by side.

Edited to say: The FF seat is center and the RF is outboard.

Cilia

I fit a rf DC next to a FF DC in my husband's 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. Plus a Radian XT for a nice 3 across. ;)

The 2 Britax's fit beautifully side by side.

Edited to say: The FF seat is center and the RF is outboard.

I bet your car is a lot wider than mine ;)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I can measure for you if you'd like. I have no idea what a Matrix is like to even guestimate!!

libranbutterfly

My grandma has an 05 Matrix, they will not fit side by side. Radian and Roundabout 50 might. I never had to squeeze a third person back there in grandma's car.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I had a FF Radian next to a RF Britax Boulevard (and also next to a RF Recaro Signo) in DH's '08 Scion xB, not exactly a Matrix and comparing apples and oranges to a degree, but small fruits in terms of similar sizing/car classes if not even smaller in the xB's case. :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
OK, I went and measured anyways. I measured the 2 DCs side by side (one rf and one ff) and they take up a total of 36" at the widest point.

All 3 seats, including the Radian XT which sits under the FF DC totals 51.5" of space at the widest points.

Cilia

I just wrote to a friend to ask if we can play car seats over at her place. She has a RN and that way I can see if I can make the RN + RA50 fit the way I want in my car. If so, I might keep both, if not I don't know. Right now I'm suffering from some kind of buyer's remorse... Maybe I should just get 2 RN:s instead? Or wait a while since my seats are good for at least another year... I just don't know what to do right now :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC