special needs carseat recomendations/britax frontier 85 question

U

Unregistered

It looks liqke insurance is going to pay for a carseat for my 7 year old 47 lb 47 inch daughter with special needs. She has no mobility or other physical special needs but cannot use a booster safely. I am assuming if insurance will buy one now they will again in a few years if needed so an extremely high weight limit isn't a huge priority. On the other hand I'd kind of like to err on the side of caution just in case. I drive a Chevy venture and really need to get 3 across my third row seat. Right now she is one of the three but I could move her to the middle row if need be. Does anyone know if the britax frontier 85 is ever covered by insurance?
Thank you.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
1. What is her sitting height, butt to shoulder?

2. I wouldn't count on insurance paying for another seat for her in a few years. They might, but they might have a one-seating-solution rule in place for what they will cover.

3. It is not that terribly unusual for a 7yo to be unable to use a booster correctly. I have 3 kids that couldn't manage it, one of which did have physical SN that factored in, and a booster was an appropriate choice by age 10. Knowing the nature and long term prognosis of your child's SN would help us to direct you to the most appropriate solution.

aeormsby

Also, what are the ages & sizes of the other kids you need to fit in, and what other seats do you have?

What seat is your 7yo currently using?

U

Unregistered

I have 4 children listed by age (below) and what seat they currently have.
11 yo girl 62 lbs evenflo Everest high back booster. Riding 3rd row driver side outboard seat

7 yo girl pdd-nos, sensory integration disorder, and more. Britax frontier with harness, 3rd row passenger outboard seat

4 yo appx 33 lbs riding ff britax marathon 2nd row center in front of a built in child safety seat. She wants to RF and after reading about the advantages of RF (I've always RF until older) I would like to RF her again.

7 mo boy 19 lbs rf 3rd row center lap belt only seat, britax Marathon. I intend to RF him as long as possible. He is allergic to polyester. His Marathon has an older 100% cotton cover backed with polyester. I just installed it today so dont know if he will be allergic to it.

The seats I have 3rd row barely fit. Took some serious doing to get in there and the Marathon overlaps into the Everest. Is this safe? New car seats for any/all (generous relative
4e) is an option in August.

aeormsby

Is your 7yo growing out of the Frontier? If not I'd keep her there for now. To gain some room in your 3rd row I'd get a Radian and us it RF for either the baby or your 4yo (would probably fit better than the MA FF also if you'd prefer that). Much narrower, especially at the seat area, than the Marathon and has a 40-45lb RF limit depending on the model. It also has a taller shell & harness than the Marathon.

So with adding a Radian I'd say your set until someone outgrows a seat, then move 4yo to Frontier, baby to the Radian and look at a different option for your 7yo. The Frontier85 has taller harness slots, but if she needs much taller and/or higher weight limits there are some specialty seats that you could look into.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC