What do you do at the CPS courses?

CRS

Senior Community Member
Just out of curiosity, because we don't have these courses in my country. But, I've always wondered how extensive are your courses? What are you tested on to earn your certification. What kinds of things do you do?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.safekids.org/certification/index.html

http://www.cpsboard.org/

NHTSA 2003-2004 said:
  • General driving risks and driving risks for law enforcement
  • The six types of crashes and crash dynamics
  • The cost of traffic crashes
  • Correct usage of safety belts and child safety seats
  • Current air bag issues
  • Local occupant protection issues
  • Working with community advocacy groups and the media
(Their search engine isn't so hot -- I'm fairly positive that's not exactly the same anymore :confused: but I'm not sure what the changes were & just don't feel like typing everything in by hand from my course binder since I'm in bed :rolleyes:)

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
We covered:

• Seat Belts (all types)
  • Cash Dynamics
  • Federal Laws (regarding cars and seatbelts, airbags, child restraints, and LATCH)
  • Types of carseats
  • Seat Placement in cars
  • Crash Statistics
  • Tether usage
  • Special Needs Seats
  • Misuse of child restraints

We were physically tested on our ability to:

• Identify types of seatbelts
  • Use a locking clip
  • Use a belt shortening clip
  • Install 5 types of seats (infant w/ base, infant w/o base, convertible rf, convertible FF, booster)

And then we had a written test as well.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
After the written test there's also a seatcheck event -- instructors know who passes that day, but the results are mailed weeks later....

My understanding is that Safe2go are currently trying out a smiliar program here in New Zealand but the extent of it is not yet known.

Sounds good but will be very time consuming in NZ, may require extra long training days, extra travel for staff/technicians to complete the training and may not be cost effective for ACC to carry out.

But the training here doesnt appear to cover as much as you expect them to do, especially once you start doing the research.

Hey Bonnie you might be one of the first people to train under the new system once they confirm it and it gets the go ahead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC