WWYD Re: Loaner Seat

Raegansmom4

I lent my GN to the school district I work for to use to transport a SN kid this summer for 6 weeks, twice a day. They were going to purchase a seat of some sort (a cosco combo, I believe, which I talked them out of since the child was likely too tall for harness anyway). So I show up to install it. Originally I was going to install my Regent, but the school chose to use their old van w/ no TA, so I had to go back home and clean up the GN. My principal was there. Did I get a "thank you" or "we appreciate you saving us $100?" No. In fact, all I got when I said I had to go home and clean up the GN to use instead was: "Well, are you giving me a guarantee there will be a seat installed in the van before Monday morning?" I'm a bit peeved to say the least. Yesterday I texted her to tell her the GN was installed and that we could order a Maestro for about $80 plus shipping. She said if I had time today to come up to the school and help her order it. I didn't go up there today as I am thinking about it. Am I being petty since I didn't get a "thank you"? I mean, it's only for 6 weeks, but I was contemplating selling my Regent and putting dd back in the GN full time. What do you think?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think that they were rude. However, you did (apparently) promise to loan the seat, and to go back on that because of their rudeness is not fair to the child who needs the seat. If they're willing to order the Maestro, help them when it's convenient for you.

Raegansmom4

Any other thoughts? Am I being petty to now want the school to buy a seat since they were so ungrateful for the one I lent them?

mom2juliarose

So you want the school to buy a seat for the 6 weeks you were supposed to lend them one? Or for after that time period? If you want them to order the Maestro so you can have your GN back because they didn't thank you properly? I don't think that's fair. I think your principal's #1 concern was making sure the child had a seat to be transported in. Perhaps he or she thought that you were already thanked when you made the offer? Still, I would just loan the seat as it did... it's nice to be thanked, but to take away a promise just because you weren't thanked seems a bit petty to me.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Any other thoughts? Am I being petty to now want the school to buy a seat since they were so ungrateful for the one I lent them?

If the reason you want to take back your seat is because you weren't thanked properly, then yes, it is petty. You promised the seat for a certain amount of time and I assume you didn't include a condition that they be adequately grateful.

If you want them to buy a seat so the situation doesn't occur again, then that's fair. The school shouldn't have to depend on teachers lending their own seats.

Raegansmom4

I guess what irked me was my principal's attitude. I initially spoke w/ her on the phone when I found out they were going to get a cosco combo for him, and I was pretty sure he was too tall for it. When I found out it was only for about 6 weeks, I offered my seat. At that point on the phone, she said, "okay that sounds good. Can you put it in the van Saturday morning when I'm at school?" Then when I showed up Saturday to install the Regent (plan #1), again, no thank you. She was actually snotty about the fact I had to go home and swap seats and come back Sunday to install (see top post). Anyway, I want the child safe, so I will suck it up and leave the GN. Too bad the elementary principal who incorporated the "6 pillars of character" in the elementary this past year doesn't take it to heart herself!

autumnlily

I would lend the seat but still encourage them to purchase a Maestro as it would be a great seat for future use when you are no longer around to help them make the safest choices for the students in their care.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a thank you. It would actually worry me that they seem so non-chalant about what you have done for them. If possible - I'd check on the well being of your seat each week to ensure it is being used properly and not harmed.

Raegansmom4

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a thank you. It would actually worry me that they seem so non-chalant about what you have done for them. If possible - I'd check on the well being of your seat each week to ensure it is being used properly and not harmed.

I am a bit worried about my seat considering the nasty condition of the van they are using. They have one "good" van they won't drive on gravel (which would have LATCH), and one old, disgusting van they use on bus routes. It's filthy, full of garbage, etc. At least I'll have my seat back before school starts and they are using that van to pick up students who would definitely mess with my seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC