Can someone give me hints for locking clips?

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
I've been trying so hard to master this concept. Every base i've installed needs a locking clip in my car and I just can't do them. My CPST test is tomorrow and I just for the life of me cannot get it right.

I know the "proper" way to do it. I measure right but and then I unclick the seatbelt to put on the locking clip, and by the time i get it on, there is NO way i can get the seat back to it's original setting I had. Or I make it too lose and it's scooting all over my backseat (or so it seems) :(

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I'm hoping to really master most name brand infant seats because that's generally what I'll be installing most of (I'm working up on the birthing suites up here so I do all the new moms discharging and education) I just can't believe this is giving me such a hard time! Stinky Stinky Locking Clips!!!!!

ADS

cpsaddict

Well, I still have a hard time with them, but here is what I do to get them installed.

Buckle seat in as tightely as possible. Then while kneeling(or otherwise putting weight in seat) on seat, grab the two parts of the buckle(shoulder and lap) closest to the door(or where it comes out of the seat of car) and HANG on.
Here's the tricky part; pull the whole seatbelt out the car seat and slowly move your hand down to where you want the locking clip. Make sure to keep a tight grip on the seat belt while doing this. Then wrestle the clip on, making sure not to let any part of the belt slide back in. Then feed the seatbelt back through the car seat and kneel in the seat. I usually have to kind of "jump" in the seat to get it buckled. Then check to make sure it does not move side to side, wipe the sweat and move on to the next one! :D
I HATE locking clips, but every base I have ever installed needs one eventually. Darn locking seatbelts!

Good luck!

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
The "jump" is the key for me! After you get the locking clip on, getting the seat buckled again is the hardest part. I get on top of the base and "bounce" until I get it in. It's helpful if you can get a partner to hold the buckle stalk in postion while you are doing this. You can get parents to do it IRL. Just keep practicing---I had a hard time at first too, but the more I've done the more I feel comfortable doing it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You may need a 2nd set of hands -- which is one reason why it's ideal to have more than 1 tech at a seatcheck....
When you put it on & are now ready to rebuckle, put all of your weight (I sometimes take off my shoes & squat in the seat, LOL) into the side of the seat opposite the buckle : have the other person pull while doing so & continue to pull while you transfer all your weight to the side nearest the buckle.​
Bounce if need be, but not to the point of cracking a piece of your seat slightly somewhere (I hear this has happened with Cosco & Britax lock offs :confused:)

nisi

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure what the problem you're having is exactly. Is it that you can't get it buckled again once the locking clip is on? If so, you have great advice so far. Or is it that the belt slips before you can get the locking clip on so it never ends up the right length? If that's the problem I have 2 suggestions.

1) Take a piece of chalk and mark the seatbelt before you unbuckle it. Then you're free to let it slide all over when you unbuckle. Just line it up with your marking before you put the locking clip on. Have a damp cloth handy to wipe the chalk off when you're done in case people freak out about their belts :rolleyes:

2) Before you unbuckle, put a chip clip on both parts of the belt right in the place a locking clip would go. That will hold it at the right length until you get the locking clip on. Not the springy kind of chip clip, the crimping kind that look sort of like rf Britax lockoffs, like this-- http://pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=15565
A patent must have run out, because you can get these just about anywhere that sells kitchen stuff now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC