Allergies

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Ugh. Okay, now I know I am always asking for advice, but you guys are great...so here goes again...

Aleah had a rash coving her entire torso on Sunday. I took her into her Ped Monday morning. He said he felt like it was the antibiotics (amoxicillan) and that she shouldnt take it again. Okay, now this morning she has this ridiculous diaper rash. It is bumpy and covers every part (almost) the her diaper touches. We have always used this same brand, no different, and never had a problem. Could it have been something I ate? Would it effect her this badly? I am going crazy with everything she allergic to...and am really starting to get worried. I am afraid that if I dont figure out what it is that is causing all of these problems, that she is going to have a super bad reaction. How can I find out for a definate? Are there tests? I am really worried that one day I will be gone or something, and she will have a huge reaction. I know that alot of you here have kids with allergies, can you help me out? How did you figure out what it was that was bothering them?

PS I have already changed her soap to just plain Ivory...and I use Dreft on her clothes. But I dont think this is the problem because she is only getting these reations occasionally, and only on certain parts of her body (torso, diaper area, and even just her face)

ADS
If she was just on antibiotics, it's possible it could be a nasty yeast infection. You may want to have the dr. take a look at it to be sure. If it is yeast, and if she is old enough for solids, you could try some yogurt w/ probiotics along with whatever yeast-rash treatment the doctor recommends. Make sure you wash hands carefully, with NON-antibacterial soap (killing off too many bacteria is one of the conditions that makes yeast proliferate, hence the relation to taking ABX), or you could pass is from her to yourself. :(

There are lots of home remedies and natural treatments for yeast, also, if you are interested. I'd be glad to post them as well, if it seems yeast is the likely culprit. I have a feeling it is, though.

Good luck, and I hope your dd isn't too uncomfy with the rash!

Splash

The diaper rash could definitely be a yeast infection.

And yes, what you eat can cause horrible reactions in her, assuming you're breastfeeding of course. AJ's diet put Charlie in the hospital with no skin on his face, torso, or lower legs because of the reaction he was having to eggs in her diet. She was TED (total elimination diet) for a long time to clear him out.

Yes, they can test her for allergies. RAST (blood) tests are not really accurate in babies, but skin tests are. It's hard to find a doc to skin test an infant, though.

Since it's occasional, try keeping a food log and see if you can pinpoint what you are eating that is causing these reactions.

mommy2jana

Poor little thing! What else is she allergic to that you know of?

My dd had an allergic reaction to Amoxicillan when she was 4.5 months old and now she can't have any penicillan antibiotics. When she was just over a year old, her ped referred us to an allergist. They ran blood tests on her to find out what she is allergic to - eggs, peanuts, and dogs.

They also do skin tests, too....however, her allergist said that nobody could pay her enough money to do a skin test on a child that young, especially one who had never had peanuts of any kind.

My dd also gets weird strange rashes for no reason. She has recently started developing rashes with her nightly pull ups. Solved that by switching to cloth diapers at night. What brand of diapers do you use? I am wondering if it is Huggies brand....maybe they put something new in them....my dd started having problems with her pull ups and so did another little girl I know.

Splash

Why won't your allergist to a skin test on a young child? Charlie has had several, and he has severe anaphylactic allergies, and he's never had a problem. In fact, we're about to embark on what will likely be a 2-3 year journey of monthly skin and oral spot drug tests for him... it was supposed to be March 9 but we had to reschedule to the end of April because of his current drugs.

Charlie's RAST tests always say something different... I don't trust them for the paper they are written on.

mommy2jana

Why won't your allergist to a skin test on a young child? Charlie has had several, and he has severe anaphylactic allergies, and he's never had a problem. In fact, we're about to embark on what will likely be a 2-3 year journey of monthly skin and oral spot drug tests for him... it was supposed to be March 9 but we had to reschedule to the end of April because of his current drugs.

Charlie's RAST tests always say something different... I don't trust them for the paper they are written on.

Well, we were living in Georgia at the time. She was about a year old. I didn't know much about allergies then and the types of tests. I didn't even know they could do a RAST test then. She freaked me out about the skin test....saying that she wouldn't dare put "peanut" on dd's skin since dd had never had peanuts before, but she obviously had allergies to more than one thing. DD used to break out in hives at the drop of a hat. I had to really watch what I ate while bf'ing.

Now that we're settled in down here in FL and I finally have dd a pediatrician that's actually worth something - I am going to get a referral to an allergist down here. She hasn't been to an allergist since December 2004. I think its about time we see one again and have her re-tested.

How often is Charlie tested? If I were closer to the coast, I'd ask you the name of Charlie's allergist -- but I think I can find one closer than 2 hrs away! :)

Jana has never had an anaphylactic reaction - but we do have 2 different sets of EpiPen, Jr - which was a nightmare trying to get 2 sets from the pharmacy. One for home and one for daycare.

Splash

RAST testing... whenever a doctor or hospital wants it. Too often, IMO. I will not allow an extra stick for it anymore, but if they already have the blood and want to do it, I'm fine with it.

Skin testing every six months. This new testing will be monthly, one drug each month. It'll be a nightmare, I'm sure. Especially since we KNOW he is allergic to a lot of classes. We're hoping we can find a combination that causes no reaction or a minor (ie, not blistering sloughing skin or loss of respiratory function) reaction that can be handled with atarax. We can't keep putting him on clindamycin for everything. Hopefully we can find a few safe macrolides and/or cephlasporins that he can have.

And Charlie's guy is Samuel Gubernick, in Largo, just in case you decide to make the drive over. He's wonderful.

mommy2jana

Thanks for the name of the allergist! :) Cephlasporins is usually the class of antibiotics Jana's ped starts out with when she has an infection. Charlie's had allergic reaction to those? I couldn't imagine having a child thats allergic to lots of medicines - its good that you're having these tests done...you don't want him to become "immune" to clindamycin - that sounds really familiar...I think Jana has had that before.

I think next time she's tested, I will ask them to skin test her. I hate seeing them take blood from my baby!

My biggest fear is coming soon, though - she has to have surgery (tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy) on the 27th and I'm scared to death of her having an allergic reaction to the anesthesia! I know that they will know what they're doing as long as they know what she's allergic to...but its still a fear I have!

Splash

I doubt she's had clindamycin. Clindamycin is an extremely heavy duty antibiotic that is normally not a first resort. He's also had IV vancomycin, which is absolutely a drug of last resort for severe infections (in his case, systemic MRSA). It's not one of those things that most people have even heard of. It causes intestinal bleeding (sometimes severe) almost always, and can lead to fatal stomach bleeding. It melts plastic so it must be stored in glass. It's not a friendly thing. However, it's Charlie's only option at this point. Hopefully we can get at least one "safe" drug on his list.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't trust the RAST test (blood test). While adults and children can have different reactions, my blood allergy testing has been WAY off.

The blood test shows that I am not allergic to fish/shellfish at all. HOWEVER, I have had multiple anaphylactic reactions to fish/shellfish and I BADLY to anything with fish/fish oil in it. Desitin throws me into an allergic fit because of the cod liver oil. If I touch anything which fish/shellfish contacted (even briefly), I have serious allergic issues. Yet the blood test still shows no allergy at all.

Skin tests are the way to go, in my opinion.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i am not sure about the yeast infection for two reasons, and i am not sure if they are valid, so feel free to correct me:)

she only had two doses, and it happened in a mater of two hours. when she woke up, i changed her and she was fine, then 2 hours laer i changed her and BAM she is all swollen and red. ugh...i just dont know what to do. it kills me seeing her in the pain from the rash. i gave her some benadryl, didnt help much. i have asked her doctor about allergy testing and he says that she ahsnt ahd any mojor reactions yet, so he doesnt see the need. which urks me because i want to find ouut what her allergies are BEFOREEEEEE she has a massive attack! ghese. sorry, i know that i am ranting, but i feel sooooo frustrated.

lynsgirl

With ds2, that kind of sudden horrible rash *was* a yeast infection/rash. With ds3, he got that at 3 weeks old and it was *not* a yeast rash. It turned out he was definitely allergic or hyper-sensitive (or whatever you'd want to label it) to disposable diapers. 2 days in cloth and it was totally gone. One night a couple of weeks later, he had to use disposable, with a cloth liner even, and wham - rash back. I even tried a g diaper recently and he started getting a rash within an hour :( . So his heiny really is happier in his FuzziBunz (and a Happy Heiny or two :D ). Oh, I'm being so lame, but it's late and I should be in bed lol.

Ok, seriously, ds2's most awful rash really did appear in a few hours time and it was yeast and I won't reiterate our diaper experience w/ds3. Poor baby girl, I hope you can figure it out, since I know it feels terrible for her AND you. ((Hugs)).

lynsgirl

i am not sure about the yeast infection for two reasons, and i am not sure if they are valid, so feel free to correct me:)

she only had two doses, and it happened in a mater of two hours. when she woke up, i changed her and she was fine, then 2 hours laer i changed her and BAM she is all swollen and red. ugh...i just dont know what to do. it kills me seeing her in the pain from the rash. i gave her some benadryl, didnt help much. i have asked her doctor about allergy testing and he says that she ahsnt ahd any mojor reactions yet, so he doesnt see the need. which urks me because i want to find ouut what her allergies are BEFOREEEEEE she has a massive attack! ghese. sorry, i know that i am ranting, but i feel sooooo frustrated.

Forgot I wanted to say that I SO understand your frustration with the doctor! Ds2 has some allergy problems and I see a lot of similar things with ds3, so I'm being very alert about them. Things I didn't figure out right away, I'm noticing with ds3 - I'm not having any dairy on behalf of ds3 and it makes a difference for him. That kind of thing. BOINK on the head to your doctor for not taking allergy issues seriously! Especially in an infant! UGH. More ((hugs)).

mommy2jana

Sorry your dr is not taking you seriously. With your dd's insurance, do you need a referral in order to see an allergist?

If Benadryl didn't really do anything for her rash on her bottom, it may very well be a yeast infection. I know that Jana had one from antibiotics once. I don't remember how long she was on the antibiotics before it started, but I know it appeared very suddenly. Hers didn't sound as bad as what you're describing though.

How is she doing today?

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
it is still all swollen and red, not as deep of a red though...and am beggining to think it may be a yeast infection...and she isnt really eating solids yet (except bananas, thats all she wants:rolleyes: ). could you give me those other remedies? i will call the doctors office, but honestly i am a little sick of them right now, so I will try some of the home solutions first (and just put a call in to the doctor and ask what I should do, theres no copay for that either:p lol)

Splash

Charlie's allergic to bananas...
Sorry. Just had to throw it out. So much for perfect baby food for us!

Splash

Does anyone in your family have a latex allergy? Latex allergies and banana allergies (as well as avocado, papaya, and several other fruits) are related.

But, she probably has just a diaper or yeast rash. Pop her naked butt in the sun for 20 minutes or so (if it's possible where you live this time of year) and see if that helps.

swags

I have a latex allergy, I developed it from working in health care and have always been warned about cross allergies. Infact alot if the clinics are starting to ask people if they have any "trpoical fruit" allergies (this includes bananas, strawberries, and avacado), and if they do they mark their charts as latex allergies.

Splash

I have a latex allergy, I developed it from working in health care and have always been warned about cross allergies. Infact alot if the clinics are starting to ask people if they have any "trpoical fruit" allergies (this includes bananas, strawberries, and avacado), and if they do they mark their charts as latex allergies.

O.M.G. You mean I am not the only person in the world who knows this?

When I say something about "latex related allergies" people look at me like I'm nuts. I've even wondered before it I AM nuts! Glad to know that more than just Charlie's immunologist knows this! Even doctors have told me it's not true, but I know it is!
I have also had a doctor tell me that a shellfish allergy is insignificant in medicine. Uh, yeah bud. Just keep you iodine to yourself, would ya?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC