Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Century car seats

I'm in Canada & wondering what is the deal with Century car seats. Are any of them still safe? I'm seeing ads on our local online classifieds saying they werew manufactured in 2005. But they look ancient. The latest one posted is a 3 point harness. It is a Century PL0009-3.

I know they were taken over by Graco but when were Century seats last made in Canada? I guess I'm looking for any info on this seat to get them to chuck it out.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Century car seats

Hi and welcome to car-seat.org .

I was under the impression that all Century seats are expired but I could be mistaken.

I'm almost 100% positive that all Century's are now expired. But I dont have any info to follow up on that or anything. I bet someone else can lead you to a link!

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Agreed... And I didn't start seeing expiries on seats until around 2000, so I doubt they're mis-reading an expiry as a DOM, either. A lot of people either have no clue, or they're just out to make a buck.

-Nicole.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

The latest expiry I have seen on a century seat was December 2009. Graco bought Century in 2002, so I thought they'd all be expired by the end of 2008, but I picked one up on the side of the road last summer and it had a 12/09 expiry. I don't believe any of their seats were made for sale in Canada after 2002/2003.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

I had a Century seat. It had a 7 year expiry date molded in the plastic.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Hey, Canmom! Thanks for the welcome - it's me, Anna's mom. (From BIS 06 and facebook.)

Thanks for the info everyone - I too was having trouble finding out the last year Centuries were made, it is hard to find any concrete info online.

I just can't imagine this seat being made in '05, it looks so old-fashioned. Were they still making 3-pt harness seats in '05? I bought my DD's in '06 and I don't recall seeing any 3-point harness seats for sale anywhere.

If they are being honest about it being manufactured in '05, I wonder then if it is a seat purchased in the USA.

Anyway, I doubt emailing them about it would have much effect - or maybe I could ask them where it was purchased first if it's a USA seat then it's illegal right there, never mind the expiry ...

Well thanks again everyone!

Carseat Crazy

When I had my DD in 2006 and through to 2007 there was a Cosco infant seat with a 3 point harness that was still being sold at Zellers
    Rochelle CRST
    Chelsea 5 years old 41lbs FF in a Radian 65 and
    Melissa 3 Years old 34 in a 2010 Radian XT and Elliot 1 year 20lbs RF Safe Seat

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySauce View Post
    Hey, Canmom! Thanks for the welcome - it's me, Anna's mom. (From BIS 06 and facebook.)
    Nice to see you! Stick around, it's a good bunch !