suggestions for 3 across

jmyus

this is my first post here. we are considering adding to our family and trying to avoid buying a larger car. can anyone suggest what we need to add to our stock in order to get 3 seats to fit in our cars?

we have an '01 Nissan Xterra and a '07 Hyundai Tuscon

the seats we have are: 2 Britax Marathons, 2 Graco Naut's and a Graco Snugride

thank you!
-megan

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome. How old and heavy is everyone?

I have an '01 Xterra as well, and I can tell you from experience that a FFing Marathon, FFing Radian, and Snugride will fit across the back. You could also rear face that Marathon and it'd work as well.

(these were just quickly installed for photos, that's why they're leaning and such. None were tethered or straightened out, and they were never used driving like this. Also, this is a Britax Wizard, but it's the same size as a Marathon):

2195533478_2fd23cf44f.jpg

2195531150_8565d44845.jpg

2194735005_a66d153002.jpg

2194748761_ba69fe0fdd.jpg

I didn't have the Nautilus at the time I was playing around, but I've found the big Britaxes and Radians to be far more three across friendly than the Nautilus.

Can't help on the Tuscon, sorry.

Wendy

jmyus

thanks wendy! that helps a lot!

as for weights and ages...
oldest son is 4.5 years and is about 36#
youngest son is 24 months and is about 26#
both their heights are average.

anyone have any ideas for the Tuscon?

-megan

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok, at two and 26 pounds I would definitely be rear facing your middle child. So I'd do Marathon rear facing, Radian forward for the four year old, then put the baby in the Snugride.

Wendy

jmyus

then what do i do when baby is out of snugride?

2 year old is already FF, dont think he'd let me turn him around at this point! :(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Many babies get turned back around. Mine did. If he cried when you took knives away, would you give them back? Knives aren't the #1 killer of children; car crashes are. Something to think about.

Another Radian will work back there, or surprisingly, one of your Marathons. I've had two big Britaxes with a Radian between them. That was all forward facing, though. Not sure how they'd go rear forward rear, but I think it'd work.

Wendy

Meg

anyone have any ideas for the Tuscon?

Do you know if it's similar to the 2010 model? I have a '10 Tuscon and have been able to fit different 3-across combos of:
a Complete Air, Flex Loc, Coccoro, Frontier, and a Radian. Right now I have the CA (outboard) and the Radian installed side by side in my Tucson and there really is a good amount of room behind the driver's seat for an adult to sit or another average-sized carseat.

jmyus

meg, im sure its similar to the '10, at least in size! thank you all for the suggestions...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
2 year old is already FF, dont think he'd let me turn him around at this point! :(

I turned my daycare boy (who had been FF since 9, 10 and 12 mos in Dad's, Mom's and my vehicles, respectively) back around at 2y3m. That's when I learned about ERF, and I just couldn't in good conscience FF him if I had another option. He gave me no trouble with it. As a childcare provider, I routinely turn my kids around -- who ride FF in their parents' cars -- and their emotions waver between indifference and LOVING it. (He's still RF at 3y4m.)

At any rate, it's worth at try. If you aren't even pg with #3, that means DS2 would be over 3 before the baby outgrows the Snugride, and that would be an acceptable time to turn him again.

Anyways, it's worth a shot, right? You might be surprised by your son's reaction. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC