Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Britax Roundabout 50 LATCH & Tether 2008 Rav4

I just read in the Britax manual that if the car company doesn't specify a LATCH weight limit, defer to 40lbs. Toyota manual defers to the car seat company, so I'm assuming 40lbs is our LATCH limit, does anyone know differently?

Is there a weight limit for the top tether? I didn't see one in either manual.

Lastly when RFing we're getting a 36 degree angle is that ok typically for the age we'll start using the Roundabout 50? (Our baby is due in July but I got the seat for a steal of a deal and want to be sure it will work for us when the time comes. I've read it's too big for newborns.)

Thanks so much!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Britax Roundabout 50 LATCH & Tether 2008 Rav4

That's correct, 40 lbs is the lower anchor limit.

Once you use the seat forward facing (which should not be for three years or so), you continue to use the top tether even after 40 lbs. Always use a top tether with a forward facing child restraint installation, regardless if it's installed with lower anchors or seatbelt.

35 degrees is pretty upright for a younger baby. He may not be comfortable and may prefer a greater recline. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to adjust the recline on that seat. When you install, focus on jamming the seat tightly into the bight of the vehicle seat, and apply pressure at the butt-crease area in the back of the seat when you're tightening the latch strap or seatbelt.

Your Roundabout 50 will fit your baby when he gets tall enough that his shoulders reach the bottom slots. Or, the harness needs to be at or below the shoulders for rear facing.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

Unregistered

Where did you tether the rear facing seat? I can't seem to find anywhere on the floor between the front and back seats. I know there's one behind the back seats, but that doesn't work with a rear-facing seat.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

That would work with a rear facing Britax. It's called Australian tethering, and the instructions are in the manual. However, it's a PITB and I don't recommend it on that reason.

Also in your manual are instructions for Swedish tethering. You want to loop the tether connector strap (aka the D ring) that came with your seat around a non moving part of the car. Normally a front seat leg. Then attach the tether to that. Britax knows cars don't have rear facing tether points (most don't, anyway), and so they provide an adapter for you to use.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785