Narrow booster with armrests that can rotate up?

homeschoolmom

We are trying to figure out the seating situation in our 2002 Dodge Caravan, since we will be having a new baby in August and will then have 5 kids in the minivan. After much thought and trying out some different seats, our best plan includes our 5 and 3 year olds in Radians in the backseat along with my 10 year old. (The 7 year old in a booster and baby in Snugride will be in the captain's chairs.)

The plan would work out fine if my 10 year old sat without a booster, however, he is only 52 1/2" tall and 67 lbs and I'd prefer to keep him in a booster. His Graco Turbobooster fits, but it is very difficult to buckle. He can do it, but it takes a long time and hurts his hand, and I'm not sure how long he can keep that up on a daily basis.

Is there a booster that is as narrow as the Turbobooster but has armrests that will flip up? It's the armrests that make it so difficult to buckle. Thanks for any suggestions!

Kristin

ADS

steph_s

Sounds like a great plan, but nope that doesn't exist. You might want to try a seat that may be wider but up on a higher base like the Marathon, MyRide, ect. for back there. This typically gives enough room for the arm rests to fit under the lip of the convertible seat for buckling. It isn't always about how wide a seat is, but more about how the seats puzzle together.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
At 10.5 I'd be okay with him in a backless booster if there is adequate head support -- the Harmony Literider seems to be easy for kids to buckle.

Splash

The Evenflo Big Kid has flip up armrests, I don't know its exact width but I doubt it's much wider than a TB.

Maedze

The Sunshine Kids' Monterey may puzzle well with a forward facing Radian. No promises, but I've seen it work in oddly tight scenarios.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
The Evenflo Big kid is great for this type of situation. The Harmony backless is quite small and would probably fit but I don't know if it will make buckling easier.
I don't know if Evenflo's backless boosters have the flip-up armrests but you can pick up a high-back for about $35 and just don't use the back.

Beckers

Sounds like a great plan, but nope that doesn't exist. You might want to try a seat that may be wider but up on a higher base like the Marathon, MyRide, ect. for back there. This typically gives enough room for the arm rests to fit under the lip of the convertible seat for buckling. It isn't always about how wide a seat is, but more about how the seats puzzle together.

If the 5 and 3 yo are both forward facing, this is worth a shot. I know the marathon and radian fit quite nicely next to each other and the marathon's base might make it easier to get to the buckle for the booster.

homeschoolmom

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a couple of options, it seems. I'm going to pick up an Evenflo Big Kid Booster at Walmart and see if that works out with the 2 Radians. Otherwise, we do have a Marathon that ds3 currently rides in. It's going to expire in a few months, but if it works out well, I could return one of the Radians that I bought for him and get a new Marathon instead. I got such a deal on the Radian, though ($122 after all the discounts and Bing cashback) that I'd have a hard time doing that since I know I can't get a Marathon for that! But if that ends up being the best scenario, we'd go with it.
Thanks again for the help!
Kristin

Splash

A Roundabout 50 is the exact same seat, minus the lockoffs (and only harnesses to 50 pounds, which IMO is more reasonable anyway) and can be had for $200 at BRU. Pair with a 20% off coupon and you've got it for $160 which is still more, but not as much more. And depending on where you live, you can likely sell that Radian for $150.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC