Cat Peed on Seat

Jonah Baby

A month ago MIL's nasty, disgusting cat climbed on TOP of my purse inside baby's SR32 and peed. Multiple times.

Helped me purge a lot of junk in my purse, that's for sure.

SR32 has been disassembled, cover and pads washed, shell and clips disinfected.
The cat got EVERYTHING.
I made MIL order me a new harness.

I just went to put it back together and found that the "complete" harness assembly does NOT include an adjuster strap. :mad:

I'm assuming I cannot wash the adjuster strap, same as the harness.
I'm assuming it, too, needs to be replaced. (MIL confirms that it smells of someone's pee...)
Can I order one from Graco?

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

MoreLatte

I think you can replace the adjuster strap. I've replaced the one on my Marathon. I'd just call and ask.

Splash

I'd just soak it and reuse it, personally. The harness in a RF seat does nearly nothing, and the adjuster strap does even less.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Same here, I'll admit I'd do that for my own seat...rinse it out, run water over it in the sink with it loosened all the way, let it dry (wipe with a towel to speed the process, put it in the sunshine for a day to air it out, too). The test would be to reattach the harness and try really, really hard to pull the straps loose without using the adjuster. If the adjuster strap moves at all, then it's compromised and not safe to use again. If it stays tight, it's fine.
At least that's what I'd do with my own seat, personally.

GypsyMama

I have no idea about replacing it, but if you decide to try to destink it, 50% vodka/50% water can work wonders at removing the smell of cat pee. It's the only thing I've found that works and is nontoxic (well, after it dries and the alcohol has evaporated). I use the cheapest vodka at the liquor store.

Jonah Baby

Wow, so really no concerns about it snapping and letting the tension off of the harness?

Hmm...I think I'll call Graco. I'm just hesitant with the whole thing.
It scares me.

Splash

I wouldn't even be concerned in a FF seat, though I *might* err on the side of caution there. On a RF seat I wouldn't even have replaced the harness if you could get the smell out. A RF harness keeps baby in position, offers some minimal restraint in a side impact and/or on rebound, but does very near nothing in a frontal. It's why the slots don't have to be reinforced, because there is so little pressure put on the harness.

Hey, if it makes *you* feel safer, go for it. I wouldn't do it, but I also wouldn't import a seat from Sweden so my 5 year old could be RF. Doesn't mean that I think people who do it are wrong or crazy, they are just doing everything within their power to remain in their comfort zone.

I had a rat chew on an adjuster strap when it was in my shed. I still felt fine using it (because it was lower than the point of restraint, I wouldn't use anything *that* compromised if it had to bear a load) but when I gave the seat away made the person buy a new one (HA! so yes, it can be done. I just remembered that story, it was a SS1 that we had for Charlie and found the problem when we pulled it out for Sam) just because I didn't want to send it into the world like that.

I took the whole adjuster strap out of my SS1 (it's a Central Park pattern DOM end of 06) Just lift the lever and it comes right out- goes back in the same way. I would never tell the *average* person to do this but someone on this board knows how to reassemble a seat correctly so go for it.

I would have replaced the straps but just wash the adjuster strap in hand soap or something...it will be fine, I've washed mine because babies have chewed on it and it would also drag on the floor when the seat was on the ground so it grossed me out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC