Should TFP headrest lock?

catchthewind

My daughter's friend was over and when my husband was going out, both older kids wanted to go with him. Her friend, I'll call him A, is under 45 pounds so we decided he could go in her Radian and she could go in the baby's TFP. I have to add here that I love, love, love that car seat even more now. It was so easy to adjust the harness/angle so DD1 could use it. It took me less than 2 minutes. I stuck the headrest in though and it didn't seem like it locked, even all the way down. I didn't see anything on the seat itself about it, so didn't really worry and off they went. They're back now and all is fine, but I'm second guessing in case the same thing happens again in the future. Should the headrest lock or does it just slide in and out? I'm not sure where the manual is just now, though it should be around.

Funny story too. When DH went to put A in the Radian, A took one look and said "It's the wrong way." He's 3 1/2 and has been ff since about 18 months. DH told him, "It's just a different way, but you'll have to sit in it that way if you want to come." A replied "But I can't fit that way". DH told him to try and see, and of course he fit fine and ended up really liking it.

ADS

NannyMom

If you pull up on it, does it slide right out? I don't remember if mine makes a sound when it's put in. But it should not come out freely.

catchthewind

Okay thanks. I'm pretty sure it slid out when I pulled, but I'll double check. Like I said, at the time I didn't think much of it until they were gone, so I can't remember if I tried to slide it out again after I'd pushed it in all the way. I didn't hear a click of any sort though. I assume that's something First Years would warranty if not? It's not a big deal in the meantime, since we just won't use it again for DD1 if that's the case.

catchthewind

Okay, so I just went out to check it and the headrest slid up and down freely, even when I pushed it in all the way. So I pulled it all the way out, then pushed it back in, and it locked, and now it's been locking each time. Should I be worried? Is it possible there was maybe something stuck in it the first time?

selinajean

Mine does not lock and hasn't locked once since we bought it in December. I bought a second TF in March for baby sister to use on her holiday and it does not lock either. :confused: I will have to go out and look at it today to see if part of the cover is in the way and blocking it from going in all the way. I've always thought that this was odd as it has the carry handle on the headrest but it is completely useless as the headrest just pops out if you hold it by that. Oh, I have a friend that I helped with installs and hers is the same way. Seems like this may be something that Learning Curve needs to look at.

geekKT

I ran out and threw the headrest on mine, bought in the end of March. I have to put just a bit of pressure on it, but it does lock, and I could feel/hear it.

catchthewind

Yeah I think maybe part of the cover was in the way the first time, so even when I pushed in it wouldn't lock. But I bet in pulling it all the way out and putting it back in again I moved the cover away without thinking and it's definitely working now, though now I'll definitely make sure to double check it locks every time I put it on.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The headrest does take some effort to lock in to place when the seat is new I've noticed. I can't get the one on our display to lock in to place without putting it upright and being able to push straight down on it when it's on the floor. I do suspect it's just that the top of the cover hasn't been squished yet until the headrest has been on a couple times, but could just also be the first time on is more difficult?

I ran out and threw the headrest on mine, bought in the end of March. I have to put just a bit of pressure on it, but it does lock, and I could feel/hear it.

See your little one is here now - how is the TFP working for you and was the angle ok the way we had it? :)

geekKT

Hmm, mine didn't take nearly that much effort, and that was the first I had ever put it on :) I just slid the front seats of the Taurus up and weaseled it on sitting beside it, without reinstalling or anything...have to love roomy back seats.

Apologies for incoming slight hijack...
It's working well, and the angle was good. I did notice that the straps seemed a little wide on his shoulders at first but in cloth diapers he's now above the second slot and somehow that seems to help. Oh and that little pad they have for the buckle drives me insane...It protects his thighs but falls off constantly.

Almost 8 weeks now, time flies. Recent pic...
IMGP2763.JPG

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hmm, mine didn't take nearly that much effort, and that was the first I had ever put it on :) I just slid the front seats of the Taurus up and weaseled it on sitting beside it, without reinstalling or anything...have to love roomy back seats.

Apologies for incoming slight hijack...
It's working well, and the angle was good. I did notice that the straps seemed a little wide on his shoulders at first but in cloth diapers he's now above the second slot and somehow that seems to help. Oh and that little pad they have for the buckle drives me insane...It protects his thighs but falls off constantly.

Almost 8 weeks now, time flies. Recent pic...
http://lh3.ggpht.com/__Ae2gvKUmrA/TA2BrbzY2dI/AAAAAAAACfg/JpA3IHnvBUw/s400/IMGP2763.JPG

What a cutie. It looks like he's growing great. :D

I'm glad it's working well and that the angle was good. That little pad is optional, though I see you're not using it anyways so you probably knew that already. :)

selinajean

I went out yesterday to make an attempt at locking the headrest in and found it already locked! :thumbsup: LOL I took the cover off partway to clean out crumbs a few weeks back. I guess when I re-installed it the cover must have been in the right spot and me leaning over the top of the seat to put weight on it made the top click in without me knowing. Problem solved.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC