AOE ??

pj2rc

AOE is on clearance at Sears for $63.99 ... but I think it maybe an older style -- it RF to 35 and harnessed to 40 lb. I went over to TRU and theirs harnessed to 50 lb. .... so, what are your thoughts. The price is right, but how good is the seat and how easy is it to use?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For a $65 40# convertible, I'd rather get a Safety 1st Avenue. It stands a good chance of actually getting a child to 40# in the harness, which the 40# AOEs will not.

pj2rc

thanks --- I looked at te Avenue, but DD didn't appear to fit. Only place that has it was Kmart, so I can't try it before buying. Here's some pics of her trying seats in the store. I hate to buy a seat and unpack it & take it all apart to try in my car, then realize she still doesn't fit or it's a PIA to install. I will never get it back in the box to return it. But I may have to.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjrn225/...CL7c7ksZ_pqgE#

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
As long as you think of it as a 35 RFing infant seat, it's a fine seat. The 40 lb FFing limit with LOW top slots (about 15.5 inches) aren't spectacular, and the booster mode is bad. But, the easy adjust harness and comfy padding are nice, and as long as you understand the limitations and are using it for a specific purpose (vacation seat, seat for multiple kiddos within the seats range so you can adjust the harness quickly, backup seat for an appropriately sized child, etc) and do NOT expect it to be a seat that will do ANYthing to the max...not rearface, or forward face, and not to be used as a booster at all, it's a lovely seat.

I love our AOE, it's a great backup seat, and i have a miniature little peanut who will actually fit into it for a reasonable amount of time.

For many peopl ethe RFing install is difficult, and requires noodles, so it is considered more trouble than it's worth. I personally, have found it to install quite nicely and easily in the vehicles i use it in.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
that pic wont show for me.

What do you mean, your child "won't fit" in the avenue?? The aoe and avenue are similarly sized, with the top slots on the AOE actually being LOWER than the avenue, so if your kid doesn't fit an avenue, she certainly won't fit an AOE.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I can't see your picture, but it's not likely that a child who doesn't fit an Avenue will fit a 40# AOE. (Did you have the inserts in the Avenue?)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If you told us what the purpose of this seat is, we could help you more with knowing if it is a good value?
What is the height weight and torso of your child, and what is the intended purpose of this seat?

pj2rc

Sorry---- DD2 turns 2 in 2 weeks. She is 27.5 lbs. Torso about 12.5". to top of head is about 21". She is currently RF in Titans w/ 30 lb limit. I also have Dorel Ventura/Commuters (not currently in use) and DD1 is 4 and now riding in Maestro. I have 3 of each -- keep 1 each in my Sienna, DH Silverado and my mom's Equinox ..... so -- right now, i have 9 seats for 2 kids. I am not buying 3 more seats that will get 1 year of use -- because I have other seats to juggle once she can FF. I am willing to buy 1 more seat that I can keep in my Sienna and if it is easy to move, that I can transfer to the other vehicles if needed. Otherwise, she will switch to FF in the other vehicles once she hits 30 lbs. I would be willing to spend a bit more to get a seat that is not a PIA to install and that I could get some more use out of as a secondary later .... but I do also have 9 other seats to use as secondary -- lol!

pj2rc

I asked a kmart today if they would let me take the display Avenue to the car to try it -- offered to leave my license at the desk. They are the only store that sells it. The manager said they aren't even allowed to have kids sit in them in the store since they are just displays (I don't think he knows what he's talking about). I told him I'd rather do that than buy it from them, go home take it out of the box, find out I hate it and take it back to them all disheveled since nothing ever goes back in a box the way it came out. Still no. So, I just ordered one from diapers.com w/ a price match at 59.99. I am crossing my fingers that the Avenue fits once installed, because I really didn't like the minimal amount of shell when I put her in the display.

armywife12

The top slots are around 16 inches for the avenue so, with a 12.5 inch torso, I can't imagine her not fitting it rf. She should have tons of rf room left in it. For comparison sake, my niece is in a scenera, which has a shorter shell and lower top slots than the avenue. Her torso is around 13.5-14 inches and she still has about an inch of growing room left in the scenera. Let us know how she fits when you get the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That looks like 4+ inches of shell over her head in the avenue, you should get to 35lbs RF in it :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

the point really is... the AOE will give the same amount of grow room as the Avenue.

I know it LOOKS like not a lot of room... but when you whip out the tape measure, you'll see it's more than it looks like... and with that tiny torso (she looks to be all legs and have quite a good sized noggin)... she'll have a good while to grow (her body will start filling out and she'll probably continue to grow primarily in the leg and her body will catch up to her head size... as it does with toddlers that age... but that's another reason I like rearfacing as long as possible... noggins on babies, toddlers, and even preschoolers, are just so much bigger compared to the rest of the body than they are on adults)

Oh... and besides the insert, it looks like she's sitting on the BUCKLE... and the buckle on a dorel seat is THICK... it'll boost a kid up a whole set of slots if they sit on it... I bet once you get her in without the buckle under her... she'll have a good 1-2" more room.

pj2rc

she looks to be all legs and have quite a good sized noggin

lol -- you nailed it..... her head has been in the 95th-97th percentile :D since the day she was born ... rest of her -- right around 50! ...I believe all of you and have faith in your judgement. There really was not 4" in the store, pic must be deceiving. May have been 1- 1 1/2 at most .... but there was the pad and harness. So, I am trusting the Avenue will look better installed. the AOE looked like more of a PIA than it was worth and didn't think I ould get much use out of it in the other functions.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's this picture... http://picasaweb.google.com/pjrn225/CarSeatTests?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCL7c7ksZ_pqgE#5478366683903430770 (side view of her in the Avenue, if it doesn't link right to it)...you draw a line on the top of her head and a line down the back of the seat...or just stick a book on her head and measure how far down the spine goes on the seatback. The other seats all look like she's much closer to the top of them. (and evidently, the Avenue is one of the tallest seats, at 25" according to our intrepid measurers sending in measurements of all seats... https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvfUm4x64h3AdFZ0c0pkbkRlV1hfeklSWmpZY0kweEE&hl=en )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC