Weird question... which seat would you keep?

Splash

Okay, I've gotten rid of almost all of my seats, down to one higback and two backless turbos, one Triumph and one Boulevard, and his SS1. This is not counting his two boulevards in our cars or the other BV and Regent in her car for other kids.
So, for Charlie, we have two "spare" seats that are appropriate, a BV and a Triumph.

AJ told me I can only keep one, and the other has to go. The problem is, I don't know which one to go!

The BV has the old style lockoffs, but is also in the recall. Is it likely to matter? Not really. I don't think Charlie will go over fifty pounds in that seat, he'll be too tall. But I was thinking of putting that one in my car once he is FF (installs better with the old lockoffs than the new ones) and keeping the "new" lockoff one as his spare... and if by chance he DOES make it over 50 in that seat, switching them. That seems like a good idea, right?

But...

He actually has more growing room in the Triumph. Over an inch more probably. Granted, it's only forty pounds. So, I have to wonder, will Charlie outgrow the BV by height before 40 pounds? Probably not. So then that "extra" growing room is pretty pointless. But he might... he's only got about 2 inches left in the Marathon, and the BV is a bit shorter.

Both of these seats are NIB. Theoretically I could sell either... and obviously the BV would fetch a lot more than the Triumph would.

Whichever seat we use, it's likely to end up in my father's car at some point. Eventually my dad will be doing things with Charlie, and hopefully watching him during the day once a week or so, just so Charlie can have that time with him. He drives a 2007 Subaru Legacy wagon, so they will fit his car similar to how they fit mine. BUT, my stepmom drives a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport, only two seats in the back (no middle), with ELR only belts (three point, though). He has talked about trading cars with her (they work at the same hospital, so right now they only use one car except for the weekends, but once he retires he might take the Explorer). If he's in the Explorer, the BV is hands down the winner, because of the built in lockoffs and the SIP. But, that's not a definite.
So, my thought was that I take BOTH of these seats to my dad's house, and have him use them both, and decide which one he likes better. He might have a clear preference of one over the other. AJ thinks that's a dumb idea.

So... all that being said... which seat would you keep?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I would keep the BV.

I would think that it would be the easiest for your dad to use and adjust :)

Splash

Yeah, but he DOESN'T have more growing room. He has MORE room, height wise, in the Triumph. He just has more weight in the BV. If he was a lightweight, I'd probably get more use out of the Triumph. If he were short and fat I'd get more use out of the BV. But he's neither. He's skinny, and tall, and has organs made of lead (I can't believe how much this kid weighs... he does NOT look it at all). So... I just dunno. If the Triumph went to 50 pounds, that would be the clear winner. As it is, I kind of prefer the Triumph just a bit, but not much. He can't RF in the triumph, but he'll never RF on a regular basis with my dad anyway.

lynsgirl

I'd probably keep the BV or sell both and get something like a MA? Didn't the Radian fit outboard in your car? If so, would that be an option? As far as the tether issue w/the BV, I believe it performed *better* with the recalled tether, but they can't, per NHTSA, leave it that way. Not wording this well, but this is one of those many interruptions posts ;). Also, would the Apex be an ideal choice at all for either of your parent's vehicles? Just thinking out loud. . .Good luck making your choice - it's hard to let go of seats sometimes! :p

LuvBug

if the safeseat2 went to 50lbs yet then Id say get rid of both of them and get the safeseat. It doesnt have the TSIP wings but the shell is so deep it has to offer good SIP, then it also has the built in lockoffs and nice top slots.
That said my DS has outgrown the marathon at 40lbs. He is long torsod like Charlie appears to be. So charlie may or may not make it to 40lbs in the boulevard if his weight evens out. Its a toughy on that one! Predicting how your child will grow.
DS is the same way, he must have lead bones lol! He doesnt look like he weighs as much as he does, hes always been like that. Mom says when I was younger people would go to pick me up and be like *gah* cause I was a lot heavier than I looked. DN is like that as well, and shes got a playmate thats about the same size as her. You go to pick her playmate up though and you just about throw her over your shoulder lol! She must be part bird, and have air in her bones ;) lol!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I know I already posted but why don't you sell both and buy a Regent? Put the regent in your dad's car since you said he will have him ff and then when he goes ff in your car if he still has room in the BV, you could put the BV in your dad's car and take back the regent?

Splash

I hate Regents ;)

I've thought about selling them for a Radian. The Radian would definitely be easier to store! But I'm not keen on the whole ebay thing... I'm likely just to keep one and give the other away.

I'd love to get an SS2 if the 50 pound ones ever came out, but it would not work in my dad's car. They're NICE seats, but gigantic front to back. It did not fit at all in my car, and his backseat is no bigger. They're nice, but huge. Beyond normal huge. Not side to side, front to back. Gigantic. Mammoth.

Neither of these seats is acceptable to travel with, so that's out. It makes the Radian seem more and more like a good idea... easy to travel with, comfy for kid. The install issues bother me, though. But my dad's car does have rear side airbags, so it wouldn't bother me *as* much having him outboard in it.

I'll talk to the girlfriend. She'll probably tell me I'm insane and I cannot have a new seat, to pick between these two. In that case... even if the Evenflo is a better option for this situation (best seat fits the car, fits the child, will be used correctly every time....) I just cannot see me WILLINGLY choosing an Evenflo over a Boulevard... it's one of those mental things.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC