What signage would YOU like to see in the car seat department?

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I work at Wal*Mart, and my manager has asked me to make up some signs to put by the carseats. Simple stuff, like how to make sure the car seat fits your child, what to look for when buying a new one, rfing vs ffing. I've got a couple ideas, but I thought I'd ask here for ideas too :thumbsup:. When you walk down the car seat rows and see the horrible signs, what do you wish they had?

ADS

Evolily

I'd put simple things like phone numbers to local car seat installation programs, things like "The best seat is one that fits your child, fits your vehicle, and you can use correctly 100% of the time", "Make sure your child meets the weight, height, and age limits of your car seat", "Be sure to read your car seat manual", "Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death in children", etc.

Here's some flyers
http://www.carseat.org/Resources/Repro_Mat_Lst.htm
http://www.safekids.org/educators/

If you can, I would print up some flyers, laminate them (you can just use contact paper), secure them in a 3 ring binder, and put the binder in the car seat aisle for parents to look through. Sort of like they do with school supply lists. I'd use bright lettering that says stuff like like "Car Seat Safety Information for Parents". That way parents can access the information.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
First thing I'd put up is to rear face to at least two years old. I'd prefer longer, but I also wouldn't want to scare people off. I'd make sure it's marked as an AAP recommendation (they haven't changed their policy yet, but they've stated it a couple of times).

I would say at least four and 40 for boosters.

I'd list your state law for riding in nothing.

Wendy

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
Boosters are for Big Kids - 5 step test for seat belt use. I didn't know this until I started hanging out here and took cpst class.

amyd

There's a really good Nova Scotia-specific card that Child Safety Link (out of the IWK) prints. It's about choosing & installing a car seat properly. Maybe you could get some & have them available.

tjham

I work at Wal*Mart, and my manager has asked me to make up some signs to put by the carseats. Simple stuff, like how to make sure the car seat fits your child, what to look for when buying a new one, rfing vs ffing. I've got a couple ideas, but I thought I'd ask here for ideas too :thumbsup:. When you walk down the car seat rows and see the horrible signs, what do you wish they had?

I think it is WONDERFUL that your manager asked you to do this! :love:

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I think it is WONDERFUL that your manager asked you to do this! :love:

I'm very glad he did, but he's definitely not doing it for the safety of kids, he's doing it hoping that since no other store does he'll sell more seats. Either way though, I'm just glad I can do it.

Jenna and Kim would totally hook you up with a stack of postcards. Twinklefae and I distributed some to our local Wal-Mart and Zellers.

Unfortunately they still have the old postcard on the website so you would have to email them to get the new ones in PDF... I wouldn't use the old ones.

http://www.childsafetylink.ca/index.cfm?objectid=42126E06-9DD3-93E6-62C5D47E06794ADD

Postcards would be awesome! Do you have contact info for either Jenna or Kim? If so PM me!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC