• Keep DD FF-at her age it doesn't really matter

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Get DD a new RF seat that better fits our needs

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mamakc

DH and I are so torn about our car seat situation. We want DD to be RF. We bought her a radian so she could be RF. The only position she can do that in our car is one of the 2nd row outboard seats. DS is also in an outboard seat. However, we would have to move her seat, and turn it FF every time we need to use the 3rd row (frequently!). Her seat is so difficult and time consuming to convert and install FF that we've decided to just keep her FF. However, we can't shake the "what if" feeling. What if the worst happens and we KNEW BETTER?

How important is RF at her age? She is 3 years 5 months. She's short and has a big head. 13.5" torso. 37" tall. 37lbs. Is it important enough that we should buy a new seat that will work better for our situation?

So what would you do?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do not understand why you need to reinstall the seat to use the third row; however, while rear-facing to the limits of the seat is best, turning a 3.5yo for convenience and preference is far from a negligent decision.

mamakc

I do not understand why you need to reinstall the seat to use the third row

sorry, 2nd row is a 60/40 split. Our two seats will not fit next to each other on the 60 and still allow the 40 to fold and access 3rd row for other passengers. So her seat needs to be on the "40" seat and has to be moved to put people in the 3rd row. It does not fit RF in the 3rd row.

abigaylebelle

I'm a little confused, when you need to use the 3rd row you put the 3 year old back there? Or you have to remove her rf seat, allow passengers to load into 3rd row, then reinstall her seat?
In any case, I wouldn't feel bad about doing what works for your family at this point. She will be very safe ff in her radian as long as it is properly installed and used correctly every time you drive. If turning her means that you will not have to repeatedly install the seat I think that might be the better choice since there will be less room for error if you install infrequently.

mamakc

adults ride in the 3rd row. I put her FF in the 3rd row so the adults can get in and out. DS has the same seat so it does not fit in the 3rd row either. He is 1.

Splash

If often is daily or weekly, I'd turn her without batting an eye. If it's every few weeks or monthly, I'd do what you're doing.

At 3.5 she's *very* well into a safe zone. I would default to RF all factors being equal, but since it creates a logistical cluster, I'd flip her and and smile.

Kat_Momof3

I'm gonna add "ditto" to Splash... it'd depend on how often this is happening for me.

Also... have you tried putting one of the Radian's in the middle (I'm gonna assume yes?)

kidnurse

If you really are wanting her RF-ing, what about putting/leaving a "back up" seat installed FF in the 3rd row and use it only when the extra adults are riding along? Then the Radian would only need to be pulled out and put back in, instead of unbuckled, installed in the 3rd row, unbuckled again and reinstalled RF-ing. I know it doesn't cut down on how many times you would have to reinstall it RF-ing, but at least you wouldn't also be having to install it FF. I have found the Radian easier and easier to install RF-ing the more I do it.

mamakc

I'm gonna add "ditto" to Splash... it'd depend on how often this is happening for me.

Also... have you tried putting one of the Radian's in the middle (I'm gonna assume yes?)
Yes I have tried one in the middle. It results in a lot of hitting and screaming. Believe me, that'd be my FIRST choice, but my children can not sit next to each other. Sigh.

Thanks for all the responses, I feel better about having her FF now. I think I have a lot of guilt over turning her FF at 1 before I knew better.

mamakc

If you really are wanting her RF-ing, what about putting/leaving a "back up" seat installed FF in the 3rd row and use it only when the extra adults are riding along? Then the Radian would only need to be pulled out and put back in, instead of unbuckled, installed in the 3rd row, unbuckled again and reinstalled RF-ing. I know it doesn't cut down on how many times you would have to reinstall it RF-ing, but at least you wouldn't also be having to install it FF. I have found the Radian easier and easier to install RF-ing the more I do it.
*lightbulb*

You are a genius!

urchin_grey

That's a good idea. What about a Maestro? They're around $80, which at the very least would be a lot cheaper than buying another convertible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC