2011 Odyssey or 2010 Sienna? or something else?

amyd

We're starting to look for a new vehicle. Just one child right now, but planning for a couple more, hopefully #2 within the next 18 months. We'd also like some additional space for other passengers, including a roomy enough 3rd row for adults to sit comfortably for long periods of time. I need carseat friendliness (which is why the 2011 Sienna is entirely out of the question). I'd like 5 TAs (4 is the absolute minimum I can swing). I don't care about LUAS/full LATCH. We buy new & foreign. $40k (Cdn) is probably the upper limit on the budget. Prefer 8 passenger. Should I consider anything besides the Ody & Sienna?

ADS

canadiangie

Depends how you define foreign but the Kia Sedona might be something you could peek at. If you can find a Hyundai Entourage it's essentially the same thing, but discontinued. I've heard good, bad and ugly on the Nissan Quest.

And that's about it.

Personally I'd look for a lease back or EUC '08/'09 Sienna or Ody.

amyd

Do we even have specs on the 2011 ODY yet? I'll I've ever seen is a teaser photo.

No, you're right. I misread something I was looking at earlier. We may not purchasing until the fall, though so might get the 2011 if we went with the Ody (provided they don't do something similar to Toyota and get rid of a bunch of TAs).

Last edited:

npauli

I'm riding the fence between the same 2 vehicles. What do these have that no other minivan does? 3 real seats in the middle row.

Honda hasn't said much about the 2011 Ody, but they have said that you can do 3 carseats in the middle row. I guess we'll wait and see...

scootiemom

I had the opportunity to drive a 2010 Sienna for a couple of weeks. The 8th person seat is a little wider than that of the Odyssey (but narrower than the 8th person seat of previous model years), but you can only fold it forward and not remove it like in the Odyssey. The back of the seat got dirty from kids walking over it and that alone was enough to make me not want to buy it. I don't need an 8th passenger seat installed all the time. It handled nicely and had a lot of power, but I feel the Odyssey does too. Test driving is the only way to really know. Or maybe you can find a car rental place that you can rent one from to get a real feel for it without a salesperson sitting next to you.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Were you driving a redesigned 2011 Sienna or a previous version 2010 model? You typed 2010 which is the previous version but I think you meant you drove a redesigned 2011. :) Like the 2004-2010 8-passenger Sienna models, the 2011 Sienna's 8th seat in the second row center is designed to be fully removed. Was the 8th seat stuck in the one you drove where it wouldn't fully unlatch from the vehicle floor to allow you to remove it? :confused: The 2011 version also has a small compartment on the driver's side of the rear cargo area for stowing the 8th seat. It's definitely a narrower 8th seat, though, and it also sadly lacks the full set of LATCH of the earlier version, not an improvement. :( There's an earlier thread about the 2011 Sienna in the Car Safety forum at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=108226where you view can photos with that 8th seat removed and also some photos showing the cargo area compartment where it can be stowed, along with discussions about the unfortunate decrease in sets of LATCH and reduced number of top tether anchors compared to the previous version.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC