SouthWest Harness kid over 5 and 40lb

mburks26

We may be flying Southwest in July dd will be 5 and a month over 40lbs and I called to make sure I can bring her GN as she is not ready for a booster and they said they may or may not allow if the child is over 4 and 40lbs? What the heck. Any one have issues with Southwest with that and the seat have to be like 16 inches wide where the GN is 19? I know I have seen post with poeple using the GN on the plane.

She might be closer to 50lbs and has 17 inch torso so another seat really is not an option. DH said if her GN wont be allowed on the plane we will just drive but its a 8 hour drive and only 1 to 1.5 hour flight then a hour drive for the airport to familys house (too long for booster)

Last edited:
ADS

mum2two

It's her airplane seat and her car seat so she should be able to use it. If they think for some reason it's a booster, show them it's meant for kids up to 65lbs, but honestly I don't think they should give you a hard time.

Dillipop

Last time I flew southwest, ds1 was 5 and ds2 was 2. DS1 rode in his radian and ds2 rode rfing in his marathon. I had one attendant tell me I couldn't use the radian on the plane- I think because she saw me unfold it- but I just showed her the sticker that says the seat is FAA approved and told her we were using the harness. I had another attendant tell me I couldn't rearface, but when I told her that is how ds2 rode in the car, she was ok with it.

I have found that southwest is extremely carseat friendly. I've had attendants watch my kids while I installed, help carry the seats onto the plane and one attendant pulled my seats on a luggage rack through the airport to baggage claim for me when we got in really late at night and the kids both wanted to ride in the double stroller.

If you are concerned, I'd have a print out of the FAA rules that state that a minor occupying a paid for seat has the right to use a child restraint. (I assume that is the link posted above.) But I honestly don't see you having any problems.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The only thing I've had them ask about on Southwest was whether all my kids were ticketed, and they were, so then they didn't blink an eye at the 3 car seats we were bringing on. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC