Question Posting for a Friend Question?

Ok my friend wanted me to ask if anyone knows where she can get 2 car seats for her 2 kids, she has a baby that needs a convertiable as she is using a expired bucket and she needs a HBB for her 8 yr old that rides in nothing right now, she has no money and is on the waiting list for DKMF but they said it would take 9-10 months to get her one and she doesnt have that long to wait. wwyd??

oh and i dont have any i can lend her as i need 2 new seats, since my convertiable doesnt fit right in dh's truck and my oldest dd needs a hbb cause i dont like how she fits in a nbb and i am so broke it aint even funny

Last edited:
ADS

ctbcleveland

If you share your location, we might be able to suggest some agencies that will help with seats. Most agencies require the parents to contribute some amount of money toward the child's seat.

I would rather see an 8 year old in a no-back booster than no seat at all. Wal-Mart has no-back boosters for around $15.00 (such as the Harmony).

Have you checked the SWAP to see if people on this site are selling any seats in your area?

we are in Middle TN, the problem with them wanting her to contirubite(sp) is she really has no money, after she pays the bills there is really no nothing left she is on food stamps and families first, but cant find a job around here since the unemployment is at nearly 19 precent for our county and surrounding since we got hit by the floods. I talked to someone at Vanderbuilt childerns hospital and they wont help her unless she comes to a car seat check and all the ones they have in the near time are over 2 hours from us

ctbcleveland

http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area/coalitions/list.html?localstate=TN&state=TN

Here is the listing of the safekids locations in TN. I am not sure if there is another location closer to you than the Vanderbilt location.

I will keep searching for you, but again, most programs require the parents to participate at some level, so she needs to begin saving a little each week for the seats. I believe that even KDMF requires participants to pay part of the shipping costs of the seats.

I understand that is not easy to do, but as I read the TN law, she isn't complying with it if her son is below 5 ft tall. She could face a $50.00 ticket which would be much more expensive than the $15.00 booster from wal-mart.

urchin_grey

Does she have something, anything she can bring to Game Stop, a pawn shop, a consignment store? Old jewelry, old DVDs, video games, old electronics, clothes? It wouldn't take much to raise the money for the Lite Rider. Its $13.50 at Walmart right now. That should come out to less than $15 after tax. :)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10992662&findingMethod=rr&

Anyway, just an idea... SO and I were broker than broke when we moved here (before DS was even thought of) and it took starving, pawning and consigning stuff just to get here. :eek:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
When you get your new seats, give her your old convertible and backless booster -- a backless is an appropriate choice for an 8yo.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Heck, if I was closer, I'd just go buy her a Harmony backless so she would only need to worry about the convertible. I wonder if some of her friends/family would be willing to each pitch in $5-$10?

DahliaRW

I agree. If she has anything she can sell to fund seats she should do it. A cheapo backless for the 8yo and a Scenera for the baby would suffice. And that'd run around $65 for both....

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Scenera is on "rollback" at Walmart.com for $39 currently online (normally it's ~$45-50 at regular price) and I believe it's $39 in most Walmart stores currently, too, according to a flyer that came in my mail this week. Here it is online for $39 with free shipping to the nearest Walmart store or to the buyer's home according to the "free home shipping" listed in the shipping options: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-5-Point-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Santee/13004563 $13.50 for the Harmony Lite Rider booster online at http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10992662 I don't think this is one as readily available in Walmart stores as the Scenera but you can try the search feature to see if it's available at a local Walmart.

urchin_grey

Oh, another thing she can do is look at close out stores like Big Lots. I've seen Sceneras there for $29. They were discontinued prints so the DOM was nearly a year old, but that's way better than expired.

heasmommy

Senior Community Member
I just wanted to say that I am a tech in middle TN (Murfreesboro) and I do all of my checks with the Rutherford Co Sheriffs Dept. I am not sure where you are located or when our next check is at the moment but if she can get to the sheriffs office they will be able to give her seats if she needs them. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions I would be happy to help any way that I can!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC