Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Monteray for skinny 7 yr old?

We're moving back to Canada so DD's UK Turbo (Logico) will be staying here. I was thinking of getting a Monteray for her but since I can't see it IRL I need to know if it is a good fit for skinny mini's. DD is max 50lbs and short for her age by at least a head, not very scientific I know!

Anyway those who have it can chime in if they like it.

Plus getting a Monteray from SKJP allows me to buy a new cover for DS's Radian and the new chest clip.

BethAnn

Canadian CPST, Mommy to ,
    E 12 5 Steps!
    N 7 Monteray, Prkway & Clek

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Monteray for skinny 7 yr old?

If her shoulders are broad the Monterey may be a good fit. But my skinny seven year old was way too narrow in the shoulders for it to be a decent fit on her. At the time she was probably 42 pounds and 44" or so. She has a very petite frame.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

We just moved my super skinny but average height/possibly tall for her age cousin into the Monterey and she seems to fit beautifully. She just turned 8 and she absolutely loves the seat, she looks really good in it. We kept it on the narrowest setting and from what I know it's a perfect fit. The lap belt really fits great and the design seems to completely prevent her from slouching like she did in an Evenflo booster.
    <3

I think at 7 and 50 lbs she should fine fine, that is about what Benjamin is and you can see how he fits in my siggy.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

It's not super for very slender children, but honestly, I don't think 50# and "short for a 7yo" is going to fall into the category of slender enough that it won't fit well.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPS Fanatic

50lbs should fit well. when my DD was only 40lbs she didn't fit so well but at 50lbs she has a very good fit.
    Ginny
    Mom to 4!
    DS1 16yo, DS2 15yo, DD 11yo & DS3 9yo

Senior Community Member

Gosh, this may just be one of those times you will get widely different answers from everyone. My DD is average size but at 53 lbs/ 49" /age 7 and the Monterey fits her terribly. The shoulder harness was nearly off her shoulder and the seat was way too wide.

CPST Instructor

My almost 7 year old just got a montery and it fits her great. She is ave to tall for her age (haven't measured her lately) and weighs 46 lbs.
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!

Senior Community Member

My 7 year old, 50 pound, 48 inch ds fits great in the Monterey. I also put my almost 5 year old, 50 pound 43-44 inch nephew in it one day and he fit great.
    Aurora 5/23/94 (married 3/9/13), Oliver 12/27/95, Simon 9/11/98, Savannah 4/9/00, Harrison 2/26/03, Genevieve 2/24/05, Sebastian 4/24/08-Monterey, Radian XT, or Literider, Magnus 4/26/14-Combi Shuttle 35

Carseat Crazy

I think it has to do with shoulder width--my son has narrow shoulders and I could fit two of him in there.
    Me & DH FF'ing in seatbelts
    DS 6/04 in a PWSG HBB
    DS 09/10 ERF in RA50

I'm going to disagree.. the uber-skinny kids won't fit... BUT... it also depends a lot on leg vs. torso for height... and how broad/slim the shoulder width is.

But my recommendation? play it safe... bring the turbo with you and take her to a store to try out boosters.

In fact, a pic of her in the turbo would help LOADS

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos