Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member LaurieB's Avatar

Century DOM's, craigslist again

How do you guys identify a seat and its years of manufacture? You all seem so good at it! ANyway, this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bab/289086921.html popped up on craigslist and it looks like the one I used for DS #1 back in 2000 so it would be expired.

Laurie

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Century DOM's, craigslist again

Well, the last one was made in 2002.... Hard to say what that one could be w/o asking them.. They were made between 1996-2002.... And had that horrid back bar adjuster.. I HATE that thing..
    Janice, no longer a CPST, and now a single Mommy to C, 10 and big enough to pass the 5-step test and S(born 12/9/09), in a Roundabout 50.

Quote Originally Posted by beebear23 View Post
    Well, the last one was made in 2002.... Hard to say what that one could be w/o asking them.. They were made between 1996-2002.... And had that horrid back bar adjuster.. I HATE that thing..
    Is that like the Assura with that metal bar that fits through sewn loops? That's the one my brother and his wife have that is impossible to get a snug fit - one setting is too loose, the next too tight. Plus it's a PITA!
    Last edited by AdventureMom; 03-06-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo - I need an proofreader!

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

CPS Technician

Yep, that's it... Many of the old Century infant seats had that type of adjuster. It is a major PITB..
    Janice, no longer a CPST, and now a single Mommy to C, 10 and big enough to pass the 5-step test and S(born 12/9/09), in a Roundabout 50.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

This was the Century SmartFit Elite or something like that. The rubber that extends down the handle was made later than the SmartFit and SmartFit Plus. I can't remember the exact names... SmartFit, SmartFit Plus, SmartFit Elite (or Supreme?), SmartFit Elite Plus, SmartFit Elite Plus Supreme, etc.... j/k

There were so many different SmartFits that it is hard to know for sure, but my guess is that this seat was made in 2001-2002.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I'm still looking, but these are the types of SmartFit seats I have found so far:

~ Century SmartFit
    ~ Century SmartFit Classic
    ~ Century SmartFit Plus
    ~ Century SmartFit Plus V
    ~ Century SmartFit Elite
    ~ Century SmartFit Elite V
    ~ Century SmartFit Supreme

Then, of course, there is the Century Assura, which is just like the SmartFit, but without the base, I think. Or maybe some Assuras do have a base. I can't remember.

Do you see why this is confusing? There are AT LEAST SEVEN different (well, sort of) seats with the same name!!!

That one is the SmartFit Elite. It was made in, I think, 2001. It was at a specialty baby store when I was in my last year of college. I finished college in 2002 and it had been there awhile. The youngest it could be is 5 years. It was a 5-pt, though. Oy, but that adjuster. Talk about never getting a good fit!
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

I emailed her, and here is her response:

The base has the date 2000 on it. I’m assuming it was all made then. However it was used very little and has been in storage most of it’s ‘life’.
    I, of course emailed her back...
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

I flagged it Prohibited..
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Senior Community Member LaurieB's Avatar

heres what I got back:

Give me a Freakin' break. so you are the reason. I am glad my car seat is now helping a child be more safe that may not otherwise have had that chance you snobby altruistic knight in shining armour. thanks for saving the world. why don't you join the gates foundation and REALLY make a difference.

Heres what I wrote:

Hi, I wanted to let you know that car seats like yours expire after 6 years and are not safe for any child to use. The plastic shell begins to degrade and can shatter in a crash. Check out www.car-seat.org for more information. In the mean time, I will flag your post, just wanted to let you know the reason why.

Guess from now on, I'll just flag without giving a reason, but I only flag when I KNOW its expired....

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    heres what I got back:

Give me a Freakin' break. so you are the reason. I am glad my car seat is now helping a child be more safe that may not otherwise have had that chance you snobby altruistic knight in shining armour. thanks for saving the world. why don't you join the gates foundation and REALLY make a difference.

Heres what I wrote:

Hi, I wanted to let you know that car seats like yours expire after 6 years and are not safe for any child to use. The plastic shell begins to degrade and can shatter in a crash. Check out www.car-seat.org for more information. In the mean time, I will flag your post, just wanted to let you know the reason why.

Guess from now on, I'll just flag without giving a reason, but I only flag when I KNOW its expired....

Laurie
    Oh wow! What an awful response you got... You did the right thing - too bad she doesn't get it... And still wow - that's just a nasty reply...

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's

Carseat Crazy

Wow. That was so not cool. Why do people think that SAFETY is optional?
    DS1 9 yo 75+ lbs 5pt in a Frontier
    DS2 7 yo 65+ lbs in a Regent

CPS Technician

I usually just ask for a date of manufactur and a model number and then I flag it(or tell ebay, depending on which site I'm using).. I've gotten too many rude responses like this one..

That really bites..