Update on Lock Offs RF true fit- mail from Learning Curve

macmomma

I finally got an email back from Learning Curve a couple of days ago. I had problems with my 3 year old undoing the lock offs on the TF while RFing. I did try to install it with the seatbelt but did not like it because it kept wiggling...
Anywho :) Here is the mail I got back from Learning Curve- just in case someone else ever runs into the same problem... I had also asked about hand washing the straps.

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your email. The lower anchors which is part of LATCH will still be safe if installed correctly if your son unlocks the lock offs. There is no safety significance if the lock offs are unlocked as the lower anchor system is factory installed and attached to the car seat. One thing the engineers have recommended for cleaning the straps is to take the pad set off and turn the seat upside down by your sink and hand wash them that way. Alternatively you could unhook the straps from the back of the seat and pull them through the front and push all the buckles toward the bottom of the seat and wash them that way. If you have further questions or would like us to explain better please call our consumer toll free number 1-888-899-2229 at your convenience. We are available Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central/Standard time and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Central/Standard time.

Regards,
Emma, Consumer Services

HTH :)

ADS

Spam

So they're saying the lockoffs aren't necessary when using latch? They should really put that in the manual, I know some have a hard time with those darn lockoffs, and they especially hurt when it's freezing outside.

macmomma

I agree- it does sound like the lock offs are not needed while using the LATCH.
I am just glad I am able to turn him back around again.... I was a nervous wreck having him FFing since he is so little still...

Mommy0608

That's good to know! :) I wonder if that means you can just bypass the lock-offs and run the LATCH strap over top, or if you have to open them and put the strap through them, but don't have to lock them.

Wiggles

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to ME like the engineers okayed getting the straps very wet? If you're to turn the seat upside down over a sink to clean the latch straps? I mean, in MY head, wiping it down with a cloth implies that you should be using a damp cloth--no risk of dripping everywhere so no need for a sink. I can see turning the shell upside-down to get crumbs out, is this what they mean? I'd do it over the garbage, though, not the sink, if it was to aim crumbs not to go everywhere. I'm confused by this. Is my idea on how you clean straps on carseats wrong? I just find it gives me questions about that. Sorry if I'm wrong or taking this off-topic, I'm just a little confused and want to ensure my ideas of how you clean a carseat are right!

amyd

Water (even a lot of it) is not going to damage the harness straps. We say no washing or soaking because parents often use harsh cleaners or throw the straps in the washer. Agitators and Lysol will cause damage but plain water won't.

Last edited:

NannyMom

I don't take that response to mean we can just bypass the lockoffs. I take it to mean that we don't need to freak out if the seat is installed with latch, and the lockoffs end up open. OP just verified what we had told her.

If my RF child was lowering her chest clip during the drive, I wouldn't turn her FF (as long as the harness was still properly positioned and she wasn't climbing out). But I also wouldn't assume it's ok to just leave her chest clip down, even if the manufacturer said it was ok as long as the harness is positioned properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC