Which seat to lend out for SN kid?

Raegansmom4

The school district I work for has to transport a SN kid 2 times a week for the next 6 weeks for therapy. He's 4 yo, 40 inch, and 37 lbs. Fairly low muscle tone, from what I've been told. They don't know if mom has an extra carseat for our use, so they want to be prepared. They first were going to buy a seat, but since it's for such a short length, I offered to lend them one of mine in case mom doesn't have a spare. I'm installing Saturday so they are ready Monday morning in case there is no seat from home. Would you lend my Regent or my GN? Doesn't matter to me. I"m installing with strict guidelines that the car seat is not moved unless I do it. The Regent is in clean condition ready to go. The GN needs a bath. My dd1 fits fine in the GN, so if I use the Regent for SN kid, my dd is still harnessed. wwyd?

ADS

NannyMom

If he fit... I'd loan the My Ride. From what I've read here, children with low tone are best supported RF longer than in FF seats. And we've seen how wonderfully it supports Shaunam's (did I get that right? :eek:) daughter.

Calleiah

Im not sure either of those are ideal for low tone kiddo. Is there anyway to find out what he normally rides in? I'd personally say something with substantial sides and considerable FF recline if they chose not to RF him. MR would work well, Como/Signo would probably do well also. What other seats do you have? :D

Mommy0608

I agree that neither of those are the best option for a low tone kiddo, but if those are the ONLY options, I would go with the Nautilus in recline mode. The crotch strap on the Regent is just sooo far out there, that a little guy (especially one with low tone) could easily slouch forward.

Shaunam

Depends on how low tone he is. If he can sit unassisted but just gets slumpy, I think the regent would be fine, unless they drive long distances often. That's a good seat for propping him with rolled blankets though (you'd just need bigger blankets than baby ones though since the sides are so far apart) and a rolled towel to fill the gap in the crotch.

If he can't sit unassisted, I wouldn't do either. Like nannymom said, the my ride would work. He probably still fits unless he has a super long torso. Maybe not for much longer though. (yes you got my name right nannymom! :thumbsup:)

Raegansmom4

I've seen him in the hallways - he walks with the aid of a walker, so I'm sure he can probably sit ff ok. I really, really doubt he's still rfing - I'm in SD and have never, ever seen an erfing kid (except my own). I don't want to lend my MR b/c that would put my dd2 ffing (she's right at 35 lbs so can no longer rf in our spare scenera, so I won't use it for dd2 anymore), and sorry, my kid comes first - I won't ff my 26 mo to rf someone else's child. All I have for seats are a GN, Regent, MR, Scenera, HB TB, and my mom has an old-style Triumph that's in storage. I had thought of the Scenera, but I think he'd be too tall for it. Maybe I'll try him in the Regent and see how he does. If they tell me he's too slumpy in it, I'll get the GN cleaned up. Best scenerio - mom has her own seat for him! Thanks!

Raegansmom4

So I went to install the seat in the van - :(. First off, they are using the school's old, crappy van with no TA instead of their new T&N (which they don't want to drive on gravel with to pick him up), so I will have to install the GN after the cover dries. Then, the principal of my school didn't get why I just couldn't install my Regent w/o tether. I just said "no, absolutely not." Did I even get a thank you for saving my district over $100 on a seat that will only be used about 6 weeks? No. Instead, when I said I would need to go home and wash my GN and install tomorrow, I got a "So, do I have a guarantee there will be a seat in this car by Monday morning?" :mad: I should tell them to stick it and make them buy a seat instead of taking away my spare for a month and a half.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC