Vent ugggghhhh!!!

momma2kda

ok so i went and picked up my friends(well call her whitney) baby today and they have been planning on turning her daughter around in the car at 10 months like the dr told her would be ok. well as i was putting the child in my car my friends mother(well call her darla) came out and started yelling because 'her granddaughter aint need to face the backseat when no one can be seein her in the car to watch her'...keep in mind i have an AOE and an AO3n1 RF in the outter seats and i have the touriva in the middle FF for mr 7 year old niece cause she likes to "help" me while in the car. but back to my story i ignored darla cause whitney knows that i hate that she wants to turn baby girl around so soon and i refuse to allow her to sit FF in my car until age 2 ATLEAST well darl kept going off and started about she dont understand why i put her tiny granddaughter in such a big seat(i put her in the AO3n1 smaller than the AOE) and she just kept going off....well for one i put baby girl in my own car seat cause i know that the harness is the right height i know that the car seat doesn't stink(cigarettes) and because i know how to puzzle my carseats to fit without playing carseats. i dont know what to do to help whitney and darla anymore. whitney is a straight by the doctors orders type of mom. and takes baby girl to the doctor CONSTANTLY!! but what i worry about most is how she sits in the car seat why buy an expensive seat if you are not going to use it PROPERLY!! do any of you have these problems?? should i call and report the way the child sits in the car? its not legal at all. or should i just give up?? i love whitney and i love baby girl but what else can i do i have my own son to worry about.

sorry this is so long but i need help.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
All you can do is educate. If showing them Joel's Journey doesn't convince them, then you might just have to let it go. You can insist that the baby ride safely with you, but that's about it. Is there a seat-check event any time soon in your area? Maybe the 2 (or 3 if Darla goes) can go together so they can hear it from an "expert."

momma2kda

All you can do is educate. If showing them Joel's Journey doesn't convince them, then you might just have to let it go. You can insist that the baby ride safely with you, but that's about it. Is there a seat-check event any time soon in your area? Maybe the 2 (or 3 if Darla goes) can go together so they can hear it from an "expert."

thank you i never thought to show them Joel's Journey!! i have explained the impact and how it effects a young baby it took me hitting the infant seat they had her in with a hammer one time(and not with a strong force) and the car seat plastic cracking to show them how unsafe their 10 dollar (what they thought was a steal) yard sale infant seat was.

you know i understand that 18 years ago everyone bought everything from yard sales but also i must say my mom still had my evenflo champion car seat from when i was i baby and that seat i could not break with a hammer the plastic was so thick ended up have to take a saw to it. but that was also before everyone started learning about carseats and the plastics.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep, pretty much just educate. As far as your vehicle, with a child of that age simply show Darla the label on the side of the seat that says the baby does not even meet the MINIMUMS to FF. If they don't want to comply to your rules, the baby doesn't ride.

My dcb's ped said it was okay to FF when he was 10mos, too. (He's 3 now.) He turned in his mom's car then, but I RF'd him to a year (before I knew better.) He didn't meet minimums, and even not knowing about ERF I didn't feel comfortable violating the manufacturer's instructions.

momma2kda

Yep, pretty much just educate. As far as your vehicle, with a child of that age simply show Darla the label on the side of the seat that says the baby does not even meet the MINIMUMS to FF. If they don't want to comply to your rules, the baby doesn't ride.

My dcb's ped said it was okay to FF when he was 10mos, too. (He's 3 now.) He turned in his mom's car then, but I RF'd him to a year (before I knew better.) He didn't meet minimums, and even not knowing about ERF I didn't feel comfortable violating the manufacturer's instructions.

i think we should all just start attacking ped's when they give out this advice!!!

to me thats like saying lets all start buying expired used car seats from yard sales. the ped's have signs all over their offices around here around 1 and 20, 4 and 40, 8 and 80 but yet a ten month old can face forward a 3 year old can booster and a 6 year old car ride w/o booster.

but were about to go to BRU to buy a new car seat.

momma2kda

oh and baby girl will be ten months in two days(my son will be 11 months in two days :( but he weighs 24 pounds) baby girl weighs 15 pounds but is pretty long.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can you find out who the baby's doctor is and send him information? The AAP report recommending rfing until age 2 would be a good source.

Katy

I hear you...I always just say, "well I'm a carseat nut and spend alot of time studying carseat safety. Helping you fix the seat will give me great pleasure as it is my hobby and I care about the safety of your son/daughter." I link them too crash test video's and sad stories. AAP reports and other info. Point out that RF is more comfortable without the head slump and show pictures of ERF or EH kids. Direct them here so they can see that I'm not in the minority. I also have a my car, my seat rules and teach by example. I offer to give them a free ride to carseat check to see a expert. I say, "Dr.'s are experts in medicine but not always the case in seats. You would go to a opthamologist to get glasses not a Dr, with carseats you need to go to a tech." Other than that sometimes you just have to let it go.....

mish

I'm so sorry, but I could not read your post. It is very hard to read when you don't use caps at all and punctuation only sparingly. No one is expected to have perfect grammar and spelling, but it is hard to read when you don't use sentences and uppercase letters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mae

agurlsride

I'm so sorry, but I could not read your post. It is very hard to read when you don't use caps at all and punctuation only sparingly. No on is expected to have perfect grammar and spelling, but it is hard to read when you don't use sentences and uppercase letters.

Ummm...seriously? I don't think its that difficult to read. This isn't a formal letter she is writing, how about we just focus on her point. I think it was pretty clear...but then again, I am used to chatting, most the the time the rules of grammer are ignored.

momma2kda

Can you find out who the baby's doctor is and send him information? The AAP report recommending rfing until age 2 would be a good source.

thats a GREAT idea!! thank you!! monday morning and doctors offices to the maternity ward of the hospital better be ready! the hospital around here just checks you own a car seat and face it backwards. i think they should make a videos and make you watch it with a nurse before even thinking about releasing you. they should explain why ERF is important and why car seats expire and not buying yard sale seats is important too. around here i still see century car seats almost daily and i know that 99.9% chances are they're expired.

when i get rich im going to start giving people sceneras everytime i see an expired or out grown seat ;) oh and cant forget the boosters!! lol.

KrisM

I'm just curious - does your 7 year old neice sit in the Touriva? Is she super small? I can't imagine many 7 year olds fitting in that seat.

momma2kda

I'm just curious - does your 7 year old neice sit in the Touriva? Is she super small? I can't imagine many 7 year olds fitting in that seat.

yes she did today and fit perfect not as much room as the AOE but she fit. if i remember ill take pictures when i get batteries for my camera. my niece is tiny!!

KrisM

yes she did today and fit perfect not as much room as the AOE but she fit. if i remember ill take pictures when i get batteries for my camera. my niece is tiny!!

Good to know. My daughter is about outgrown it and she's just 4 and in the 40th percentile, so not very tall. She must be really tiny!

Katy

around here i still see century car seats almost daily and i know that 99.9% chances are they're expired.

Do you mean the century infant carseats too? I think there was one on the Bemidji Mn CL possibly for $75 I thought it looked old and way over priced. If they are I think I'll email the owner. BTW OT here but does flagging really work?? Maybe I've been doing it wrong....

mish

Ummm...seriously? I don't think its that difficult to read. This isn't a formal letter she is writing, how about we just focus on her point. I think it was pretty clear...but then again, I am used to chatting, most the the time the rules of grammer are ignored.

Yes, seriously. It was hard to read. I don't expect all the rules of grammar to be followed, but I expect to be able to read. I honestly quit reading the post because I couldn't understand it. Maybe you are smarter than me. I don't know. I just think in the future using capital letters and periods would be helpful.:twocents:

Shaunam

You can educate as much as possible, but in the end, if it's your car, it's your rules, *especially* for a baby who hasn't even met the minimums for ff'ing. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to ride with you.

momma2kda

You can educate as much as possible, but in the end, if it's your car, it's your rules, *especially* for a baby who hasn't even met the minimums for ff'ing. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to ride with you.

that is what i told her mother and her mother understands i will not face baby girl foward for multiple reasons. weight age and all the cases of babie getting hurt foward facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC