CARES and TV screens and fit on a 25 pound kid

oddity

There is a possibility that I may be taking an international flight, by myself, with two toddlers. DD will be 3 and DS will be about 20 months. :eek:

Those who have had experience with CARES, do you think this harness would be adequate for a 25 pound boy? On the demonstration video it looked a little big on the boy they used. Also, what do you do about planes fitted with viewing screens in the seat backs? I assume that the strap blocks the view of the passenger sitting behind the kid. That's no good, especially on a long international flight.

I just can't imagine lugging two kids, two car seats, along with all of our gear, stroller, etc., through the airports all by myself, let alone getting everything hooked up properly and stowed properly all while keeping an eye on the kids. So, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around what I'm going to do if this trip becomes a reality. All I know is that the kids will need to be restrained in some way, not only for their comfort and safety, but for the comfort and safety for me and the rest of the passengers...lol. We're looking at almost 24 hours of travel time. I can't have them running around the plane if/when I doze off...lol. That would be a disaster.

I won't need car seats at our destination. That will be taken care of.

ADS

leighi123

Im pretty sure the top strap would be under the tv screen - doesnt it install kinda under the tray table? Unless the kid is really really tall or something. The tv screen is at the very top of the seat.

aeormsby

You should be fine as far as the TV screen goes. Like PP said, the strap will go around the seat at where the tray is and I would assume the TV is above that. A 25lb'er might be a little small for the Cares. We got it for DD when she was around 30lb, although she's kind of short. This is her last Sept on a flight...
100_6266.JPG

This is from me traveling by myself with the kids and they were 21m & 3.5y.
It's not so much that the cares can't be adjusted that small, the lap belt on the plane might not be able to adjust small enough. You can see it's tightened about as far as it will go in the picture.

When I travel with the kids by myself I definitely try to board early if possible. Let the kids sit/play in the row across the aisle or behind me while I get DS's seat installed, then strap him in and get DD situated. The only thing I bring on board is carseats (Uptown & Safeguard Go/Cares), diaperbag, purse & DD has a little wheeled carryon. I gate check the stroller I use to strap the Uptown to. We've also strapped the Uptown to a luggage cart and been able to wheel it all the way to our seats.

cerberusdog

My DD was only 24lbs when I first started using CARES. I put a sweatshirt on her and it helped with the fit and comfort of the straps. Also be sure to grab a blanket when boarding to roll up and place under his legs to help him from sliding down.
Oh and the strap goes around where the tray is, so it should not get in the way of the TV screen

oddity

Thank you all very much! I really hope that I have to take this flight because it will be an amazing time once we reach our destination, but I am as nervous as can be at the idea of 20+ hours on planes and in airports alone with DD and DS.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC