WWYD Scenera vs Ra

Stacy

I bought a Scenera tonight, and I'm having second thoughts about this seat, partially because of the lack of foam, but mostly because I'm not so sure about Dorel. I know there are some defective Safety 1st seats with the harness not locking, KQ had the probelm with her CA, and I just learned about the Touriva seats with the notches in them.

I haven't tried the seat out yet, but am seriously thinking that I'm just gonna return it tomorrow.

She still fits in her RAs (the other two seats she has will not work in this car) but I am not happy about they way she fits. I wanted to wait until the new seats come out later this year before I spend big $'s on something else.

So I am wondering, what is everyone's personal opinions, would you feel ok moving your child from a RA to a Scenera???

ADS

DahliaRW

Yes, I'd be fine. Fwiw, KQ CA was replaced and the new one works fine. She just got a weird defective seat.

Both of my boys road in a scenera in their grandparents car (and dd will too when she's old enough that they take her). We have also traveled with it. I feel perfectly safe with them in it.

jackthlion

Personally, we've had a Scenera and I'm just not 100% comfy with it. As a back-up seat or in a grandparents car or as a suggestion for someone who's otherwise going to turn a heavy 1 year old FF, absolutely... but for ME, the lack of foam is worrisome, even though I totally understand that it passed the tests and I would never say it's unsafe at all!

We're in a similar situation as DD is outgrowing her RA... I thought about getting a Scenera but ended up ordering a MyRide instead.

On the other hand, like you say, if it was only for a few months while I waited for something better to come out, then I might consider it.

HappyMommy

The Avenue has more padding than the Scenera and has EPP foam. Would you consider the Avenue? You can get the Avenue on strollers.com for $67.96 with the coupon code "CARSEAT20". You could get diapers.com to price match and maybe get additional discounts on diapers.com if you are a first time customer.

babygirlsmom1005

We have a Scenera, it was originally purchased for a little baby girl that rides with us a lot, so mom & I wouldn't have to do car seat swap with her carseats.

Both my kids have rode in it, I have no problems with it at all. It was used as a 2nd seat for my DD a lot until she outgrew it (a little after the age of 4 - outgrew it height wise) and is still used as a 2nd seat for my DS. Right now it is with a friend who used it for a 2 year old that was visiting her so the 2 year olds mom didn't check a carseat on a plane (she would of checked their seat and then gotten back a questionable seat).

Since we don't know the crash test ratings of it vs the RA, who knows which one preformed better, the Scerena could of possibly had better marks than the RA, but we'll never know that for sure, since it is for sale within the US, it's a safe seat, lack of foam or not.

I have no problem putting my kids or anyone elses kids into a Scerena in my vehicle, what counts is that it is installed correctly & used correctly.

NannyMom

If the child fit better in the Scenera than the RA, or it fit better in the car, I'd use it. The safest carseat is the one that fits your child, fits your car, and fits your budget. I kinda loved my Sceneras when I had them They installed so easily, and fit kids great. But since Sofi only has 1.5 inches over her head, I can't justify buying one (my other 2 were traded for an expired seat).

Stacy

I am fine with my kid in an Avenue, even though I could afford a more expensive seat. When I looked at crash testing numbers, I thought the Scenera and the Avenue did pretty well and it did not seem that Britax did any better than other seats. Here are the numbers I looked at:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Cars/testing/comply/fmvss213/Jan2010ed.pdf

Yeah I noticed that it did well in their tests, actually it scored better than a lot of seats. It's really SIP that's worrying me, there's just nothing there to soften the blow.

The Avenue has more padding than the Scenera and has EPP foam. Would you consider the Avenue? You can get the Avenue on strollers.com for $67.96 with the coupon code "CARSEAT20". You could get diapers.com to price match and maybe get additional discounts on diapers.com if you are a first time customer.

Unfortunately I don't think the Avenue would fit, the RA *just* fits at 30*.

Stacy

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm still not sure what to do :confused:. Guess I should at least try it out before I make up my mind.

my kids rode in sceneras for a while, they were installed properly and they rode rear facing to the seat limits in them and I felt they were perfectly safe since they were being used correctly.

HappyMommy

Yeah I noticed that it did well in their tests, actually it scored better than a lot of seats. It's really SIP that's worrying me, there's just nothing there to soften the blow.

Unfortunately I don't think the Avenue would fit, the RA *just* fits at 30*.

The Avenue sits low on the seat unlike the RA that sits high/on a base so the Avenue might fit. If you order it from diapers.com, returns are free so you could try it and if it does not fit in your car, you can return it for free:twocents:

Evolily

The Avenue will fit longer than the Scenera. The shell height is 25 inches, which may actually be taller than the Marathon.

I'd be comfortable with it. But if you can spring for the Avenue I'd get that- taller shell, taller top harness, EPP foam, it's just nicer. The shell is very similar to the complete air.

Heather86

For a while our primary seat was a avenue and our spare was a scenera I second springing for the avenue if you can at all.

rosey2007

I had a Scenera for a short time and I just did not feel like it was the safest seat IMO. Plus I always had to deal with the twisty straps all the time. I have to say that it is nice to see kids in those rather then an expired seat. Personally I just do not feel comfortable with my kids in any Dorel car seat. I would and do recommend this seat for someone on a strict budget.

Stacy

Well I talked DH into the Scenera b/c it was only $39, and I told him we could expect at the very least $25 resale value on it a few months down the line, so net cost ~$15. He knows I am *dying* to try out the new seats and expects that I will *need* to get one :)p), so I don't think he's gonna like spending any more than that right now.

Even though the Avenue sits low, I've played with it at Kmart and I really, really doubt that it's gonna fit there. I've got the AOE from my mom's car to try out and I think their shells are comparable in height.

Well I played with the Scenera inside the house, sat DD in it, buckled her in, and wow....night and day difference. I never appreciated just how nice the RA is until now. I think the Scenera has to go. So back to the drawing board :(.

abigaylebelle

How much shell/how many pounds does she have left rf in the roundabout? I would have no problem switching my ds from his roundabout to a scenera if he needed the extra shell height to keep rf longer rather than turn him. If you can avoid an interim seat though then I would probably try to. Are you waiting for the new britax convertibles?

Stacy

How much shell/how many pounds does she have left rf in the roundabout? I would have no problem switching my ds from his roundabout to a scenera if he needed the extra shell height to keep rf longer rather than turn him. If you can avoid an interim seat though then I would probably try to. Are you waiting for the new britax convertibles?

Her RA has a rf limit of 35lbs, she's about 27, and about 3" above her head. It's just they way she fits that's troubling me. She is technichally on the bottom slots, but they are pretty far below her shoulders, so she seems to slouch when I tighten it, which makes the bottom buckle and leg straps seem out of place, too. Plus she is just so cramped legroom wise and that makes it even more awkward to buckle her in. She dosen't really sit up straight. Ugh. I have an identical RA in my car, but it's more reclined and we don't have such a problem with it.

I want to check out both Britax and Safety 1st's new offerings later on before I purchase a permanant seat for her (and yes, I know Safety 1st is Dorel, still wanna see it :p)

abigaylebelle

I had a problem with the ra harness with my ds last year. His legs would hurt from the harness digging into them since his legs were getting pretty long. Turns out I was tightening the harness too much, oops. :eek:
I prefer the roundabout over all other seats so I would use it for as long as possible and it sounds like your dd will fit rf in it for quite a while yet.

Stacy

I tighten, pinch, tighten, pinch, to make sure I'm not overdoing it. Sigh. Maybe we'll just try to deal with it. I'm sure you're right. We could take my car out more, I just really prefer dh's since it's much newer than mine ('07 vs '99) and he has the side airbags, plus his white car stays much cooler in the FL heat.

Evolily

How far is she from the next set of slots? Honestly, if her shoulders are just a tiny bit under (say, less than 1/2 an inch) I wouldn't personally stress about moving them up. It would be parental decision territory, to me.

FWIW- based on the little we know from the test results released from the NHTSA, rear facing in head on collisions the scenera and marathon (sorry, I don't remember the roundabout's numbers) tests are comparable to each other- some of the scenera's numbers are slightly higher, some of the marathon's numbers are slightly higher, and from the little car seat in vehicle testing that have been released it seems that in an actual vehicle differences tend to be more exaggerated. So although it does feel cheaper, I wouldn't worry about one being less safe than the other rear facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC