Wow! I think I just saw the most outgrown seat ever!

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Okay, I know the wording sounds awkward, but I can't think of a better way to phrase it. Sorry.

This morning a friend from my moms' group came over with her son to play after our meeting. I told her another mom was coming over with her Maestro so I could see if I could get it three across in my Jeep. She then asked me when I thought a child should be in a booster. I answered.

Then I asked about her son's current seat. She said it was a Graco something or other and went to 60 lbs or so she thought. I asked to look at it. It only went to 40 lbs and her son is 45 lbs (he will be five in August). She didn't think it would make that big of a difference. I told her it did and gave her some seat options.

Before they left I looked at her son in the seat. His shoulders were at least 3" ABOVE the top harness slots. Not to mention the tops of his ears were above the shell!! YIKES!!! I couldn't contain my shock I said she needed a seat today. I offered her our spare booster (I didn't have a spare HWH seat since it is in the other car), but she declined. I am hoping she goes out tonight to buy a Nautilus.

She asked how parents are supposed to know. I said it is in the manual, but that most parents don't always know when a seat is outgrown. On the up side she had the harness tight enough and the chest clip was at his armpits.

No, I don't know the seat. I'll have to look at the pictorals.

ADS

autumnlily

:eek: The harness was probably nice and tight because the poor little boy had to use all the webbing. Glad to hear the chest clip was at chest level.

Now, I did see at the last clinic I worked... an infant bucket in the FF position used as a booster seat. :eek: (child was not in harness - seriously, belt was wrapped around the seat and the tiny three year old was as happy as a clam)!

emy_lou

:eek: The harness was probably nice and tight because the poor little boy had to use all the webbing. Glad to hear the chest clip was at chest level.

Now, I did see at the last clinic I worked... an infant bucket in the FF position used as a booster seat. :eek: (child was not in harness - seriously, belt was wrapped around the seat and the tiny three year old was as happy as a clam)!

WOW :eek: now thats scary! What where those parents thinking:confused:

mommyfrog

My 5 year old, 45ish inch, 45ish pound (almost) niece rides around in a Scenera. We have talked to my brother and his fiance about getting her a different seat, but they don't seem to care.:( They buy video game systems and tv's and cell phones and.....you get the picture, but a new $50 booster, no way.

leighi123

I have seen this too, and they used the bucket seat to carry him around as well.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It's sometimes surprising to when parents don't realize that their kid has outgrown a seat.

At a recent seat check event, I worked with an 8YO who was 60lbs. and probably 49" (he was about the size of my DS, actually) who was still riding in a Dorel combo seat. The seat had a 40 lb. limit, and his shoulders were over the top slots by about 4". Mom was appalled when I explained how/why he had outgrown the seat - she thought she was doing a good thing by keeping him harnessed.

And the poor little guy practically cried when I "traded" him a new booster for his obviously well-loved harnessed seat. :( (He was happy once we got him settled, though.)

ca2003

I see tons of FF buckets around here, sometimes they are just strapped in the car with no kid and I hope they don't use them like that but I don't have much hope. A few weeks ago I saw someone click her son's infant seat (SS1) into a base and the base was installed so the infant seat faced forward. The little boy was probably 10-12 months and definitely fit in the SS1. I don't know where people get the idea to put an infant seat FFing. Her other boys (probably 4ish and 6ish) were in the back seat in nothing.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

Yup I had one of those at my last check too. 2 year old in an infant bucket ffing in the middle with lap belt only. I don't even know how that little boys bottom fit into the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC