presentation help!

featherhead

I'm doing a presentation at a healthy baby group in two weeks. This is my first time doing something like this, so I'm quite nervous! Any tips, things to remember, etc? Thanks!

ADS

birdflippin'

Do you mind me asking where?

My biggest tip would be short and sweet. You'll most likely be talking over screaming/crying babies and moms talking becuase they've heard all this stuff already:rolleyes:

featherhead

Do you mind me asking where?

My biggest tip would be short and sweet. You'll most likely be talking over screaming/crying babies and moms talking becuase they've heard all this stuff already:rolleyes:

Yup, short and sweet. I want to make sure I get all the most important things in. I also have a short DVD that my instructor gave me that has some great info on it.

selinajean

I like to go over the province's legal requirements and point out that those are minimum levels to meet. I point out the fact that as parents we try to give our children the best of everything else, so why settle for the minimum where safety is concerned.

Show them how to tell if a harness is tight enough. This is one thing that I find a lot of people are confused about.

Touch on the fact that legs have nothing to do with outgrowing a car seat.

Quickly touch on recline levels and the fact that the 45 degree recline is for infants....that older children can be more upright which can often solve the issue of a fussy RFing child.

Used car seats are very common here at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I like to talk about the danger of trusting a stranger's word that the seat is safe. Cost is a huge factor here, so I try to mention using HBC rewards points (Zellers is our only department store so a lot of household shopping gets done there) and Air Miles to help pay for a new seat.

Oh, at the beginning of the presentation I try to point out a couple of the mistakes that I have made in the past....or just point out the fact that I made a lot of mistakes before I knew better. I find that it makes people more open to asking questions if they realize that the instructor was in the same boat at one time too.

featherhead

I like to go over the province's legal requirements and point out that those are minimum levels to meet. I point out the fact that as parents we try to give our children the best of everything else, so why settle for the minimum where safety is concerned.

Show them how to tell if a harness is tight enough. This is one thing that I find a lot of people are confused about.

Touch on the fact that legs have nothing to do with outgrowing a car seat.

Quickly touch on recline levels and the fact that the 45 degree recline is for infants....that older children can be more upright which can often solve the issue of a fussy RFing child.

Used car seats are very common here at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I like to talk about the danger of trusting a stranger's word that the seat is safe. Cost is a huge factor here, so I try to mention using HBC rewards points (Zellers is our only department store so a lot of household shopping gets done there) and Air Miles to help pay for a new seat.

Oh, at the beginning of the presentation I try to point out a couple of the mistakes that I have made in the past....or just point out the fact that I made a lot of mistakes before I knew better. I find that it makes people more open to asking questions if they realize that the instructor was in the same boat at one time too.

You've got some good points, thanks. I'm going to have to make myself some notes so I don't forget anything.

sparkyd

You'll most likely be talking over screaming/crying babies and moms talking becuase they've heard all this stuff already:rolleyes:

You mean they think they've heard this stuff already. ;) Or rather, they think they already know everything they need to know. Frustrating. I've done a few "event" things in the last few months, and I think I have now decided that I will no longer participate in something that is just a booth (like at a baby show) because people hardly ever stop and ask questions because they think they've already got the car seat thing figured out. Having an opportunity to speak and then being available to answer questions is way better. It gets people thinking. Or maybe I just need to get better at engaging people and getting them talking...

featherhead, if you've got time try to mention the bulky clothing/snowsuits issue. That always surprises people and that is knowledge that desperately needs to be spread. Catching people with little babies in the summer before they start the bad habits is ideal. :thumbsup:

selinajean

You mean they think they've heard this stuff already. ;) Or rather, they think they already know everything they need to know. Frustrating. I've done a few "event" things in the last few months, and I think I have now decided that I will no longer participate in something that is just a booth (like at a baby show) because people hardly ever stop and ask questions because they think they've already got the car seat thing figured out. Having an opportunity to speak and then being available to answer questions is way better. It gets people thinking. Or maybe I just need to get better at engaging people and getting them talking...

featherhead, if you've got time try to mention the bulky clothing/snowsuits issue. That always surprises people and that is knowledge that desperately needs to be spread. Catching people with little babies in the summer before they start the bad habits is ideal. :thumbsup:

On the same front.....cuddle bags and any other after market products. There is always someone in the group who will point out that theirs is crash tested. I then offer that I can duplicate the after-market product crash test procedure and I throw a head hugger at the wall. LOL. It gets their attention and demonstrates that there are no standards for crash testing with after-market products.
Side note to the head huggers.....show them how to use the receiving blankets properly on the sides of the baby's head if they need head support for a newborn.

lenats31

I'm doing a presentation at a healthy baby group in two weeks. This is my first time doing something like this, so I'm quite nervous! Any tips, things to remember, etc? Thanks!

Bring a car seat or two seats into the house. Install it/them in their own cars if allowed. Show them how to use the seats by using one or more of the children as models. Perhaps use a child that is too small for the particular seat. One that is too big, and one at the right size.

You show them how to install the seat, and then ask the parents to do it themselves.

That should keep them alert and quite at the right times.;)

This way, you could do a presentation that lasts an hour or more onless you have a time limit.

Lena

featherhead

On the same front.....cuddle bags and any other after market products. There is always someone in the group who will point out that theirs is crash tested. I then offer that I can duplicate the after-market product crash test procedure and I throw a head hugger at the wall. LOL. It gets their attention and demonstrates that there are no standards for crash testing with after-market products.
Side note to the head huggers.....show them how to use the receiving blankets properly on the sides of the baby's head if they need head support for a newborn.

Yeah, I'll definitely try to remember the bulky winter clothes/bunting bags/etc. Receiving blankets is a good one, you rarely see anyone using them, so that's a good idea.

Bring a car seat or two seats into the house. Install it/them in their own cars if allowed. Show them how to use the seats by using one or more of the children as models. Perhaps use a child that is too small for the particular seat. One that is too big, and one at the right size.

You show them how to install the seat, and then ask the parents to do it themselves.

That should keep them alert and quite at the right times.;)

This way, you could do a presentation that lasts an hour or more onless you have a time limit.

Lena

I do plan to bring a few carseats (need to find an infant seat as my SIL just had a baby and is using it). That's a great idea to model children in them. We do have a time limit, but I'm going to try to pack in as much as I can. And hopefully we'll have time for a few seat checks at the end. Unfortunately the group is fairly large (there are 2 of us doing the presentation, we'll be splitting into two smaller groups) so we won't be able to check too many people's seats.

cdncasper

Are you doing it in the city? I am doing one next thurs on Corydon but it is one that my public health nurse asked me to do cause we were suppose to have Jeanie come to our healthy baby class a few months ago and she never showed up so the nurse didn't want to ask her again.

featherhead

Are you doing it in the city? I am doing one next thurs on Corydon but it is one that my public health nurse asked me to do cause we were suppose to have Jeanie come to our healthy baby class a few months ago and she never showed up so the nurse didn't want to ask her again.

Nope, not in the city:) I'm about 1 - 1 1/2 hours from the city.

featherhead

How'd it go?

It actually went quite well! We split into two groups, mine ended up being quite small, which was ok for my first time:p I'm sure I ended up forgetting a few things, but the moms were quite attentive, and just soaking up all the information. I even got a few good questions:thumbsup: I only ended up checking one carseat, but I was super impressed with the installation. The mom is from Paraguay (must be within the last year I think). She had the harness almost tight enough (rear-adjust, so I don't blame her for having it a smidge too loose). Also, the base in the vehicle only needed a tiny bit of tightening. The LATCH strap had a half twist in it, which is what prevented her from getting it totally tight in the first place. No aftermarket anything. She thought the handle needed to be down, but I told her that on her seat it is allowed to be up as well... she was happy to hear that:) And that's about it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC