Hawaiian Airlines????

jnamommy

I am starting to look at airlines tentatively for our Hawaii trip next March. I found this on the HawaiianAir website:

Car Seats
A seat must be purchased for infants traveling in a child restraint seat. Infants traveling as a lap child (sharing seat with an adult) may bring a child restraint seat on board if: 1) there is an empty seat available for the infant and 2) the car seat bears the following two required labels:
1. This restraint system conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety conditions.
2. This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft. (in red lettering) (NOTE: Labels that indicate U.S. or Foreign Government approval or show the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations are also valid.)

Any other child booster seats and other types of child restraints may not be used during take-off, landing, and surface movements regardless of what stamp/seal of approval these booster or harness devices carry.

If the flight is full, the car seat will be checked at the gate using a claim-at-gate tag. The car seat will be returned to the passenger at the gate upon arrival.​

The way I read this, I cannot use a harnessed car seat for my children, since they are not infants. Am I reading this correctly? What other choices do I have, esp for inter-island travel?

Anyone have any experience with this airlines?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What they're referring to are non-certified child restraints, like the Baby B'Air, vests, belly belts, etc., and booster seats without a harness.

Call them and I bet they'll clarify that you may use your harnessed, FAA approved child restraint for your older, ticketed child. :) You can also use the CARES harness, which is FAA approved.

This is pretty standard boilerplate language for airlines in their "travelling with infants" section. Though usually they clarify that older children may use an FAA approved seat, I'm sure it's probably just an oversight, since the FAA requires children be allowed to use them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC