Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

the reason why i love my AOE and all in one:

First off: No i will not use it as a BOOSTER!! I knew it made a sucky one before i bought it!! PLEASE DO NOT LECTURE ON THE BOOSTER MODE ABOUT IT!! Thank you.

But i love how the back raises up and down for when i am baby sitting. i love kids and i love proper fitting car seats and i love being able to say 'no i don't need your car seat i have one that will fit properly' because EVERYONE i babysit for sucks at using the car seat and nothing i tell them helps. i love being able to RF they're children while in the car with me and harness my niece FF even though she is 7 years old but shes tiny for her age. plus the 2 seats are cheaper and for my budget not having to take the straps out to raise and/or lower is so much easier when you have an almost 11 month old(my own) a 9 1/2 month old(my friends who plans to turn her child FF at 10 months cause her doctor said it would be safe) and a tiny 1 year old.

oh i forgot to mention that i have a cosco touriva that expires next year and i will cry when it does cause i like it so much more then that scenera.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: the reason why i love my AOE and all in one:

It does have it's place. The new ones are even nicer. They fixed the pesky non-reinforced top harness position issue. If you have one older than a year or so, make sure you aren't using the top headrest position with the bigger kids. It isn't intended for harnessed use (but only stamped in little letters on the back to let you know that). Your niece must be really tiny with a super short torso to still fit in the harness.

Wow a 7 year old still fits? Must be teeny tiny. My godson at age 2 has almost outgrown the AOE. My 5 year old daycare kiddo is way over the top slots and he's tiny.

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
    Hania: 3 months, rf in a nuna pipa
    Piper: 2 years, 26lbs rf in a monkey clek fllo
    Isabella: 4.5 years, 32lbs rf in a clek foonf
    Rocking out in a 2015 Subaru WRX and a 2006 Toyota Sienna

Quote Originally Posted by stegmanc View Post
    Wow a 7 year old still fits? Must be teeny tiny. My godson at age 2 has almost outgrown the AOE. My 5 year old daycare kiddo is way over the top slots and he's tiny.
    yes she does. but she also cannot eat or drink alot of dairy or meats doctors orders. she is really tiny next time i see her if i remember ill take pics of her in it. the straps are above her shoulder(second to top harness alot top is for booster only) and she is only 34 pounds. shes super small but she was a HUGE newborn.

CPS Technician

If you get to where you need to replace it, the EFTA is super easy to adjust also and can RF or FF. Yes, they can be nice seats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Caleb 11 yrs. 70lbs. 55" 5-steps Megan 8.5 yrs. 45lbs. 48" Harmony Literider
    Grace 6 yrs. 40lbs. 42" Nautilus
    Cameron 4 yrs. 34lb. 39" Radian XTSL
    Sally born 4/28 SR35, Zach born 4/28 Combi Coccoro

Quote Originally Posted by stegmanc View Post
    My 7 year old niece still fits with room to spare She's in one in her Dad's car and still has plenty of room in her Generations in her mom's car. She's smaller than my DD so I can believe it

Yep, if you ever need to get rid of it the Evenflo Triumph Advance is super nice for multiple kids too!

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

Good for you! I'm glad you really like the seat.

I took my DDs to BRU and played with some seats--The AOE in Sara was so cute and fit DD1 very well--That one stuck in my mind as a possible seat one day for my mom's or MIL's car.

C~9/06 Boostered in FR85 Livia & Maui C~2/09 Boostered in GN Daisy & Julia
    Driving in 2005 Toyota Camry & 1994 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by lorismurph View Post
    If you get to where you need to replace it, the EFTA is super easy to adjust also and can RF or FF. Yes, they can be nice seats.
    thanks for telling me i have never used an EFTA i've used the infant seats and i hate them so i guess you could say i have a grude against evenflo for their crappy portabouts, discovery, and embrace seats, i was almost ready to drive as fast as i could into a brick wall after using the portabout without the base...but i didn't want to hurt the babies, my car, or myself so i didn't needless to say thank god that seat expired in december and i talked my friend into buying a new seat for her child so she would stop insisting i use the infant seat for her child. but when the touriva expires i think thats what i just might go and get.

You've checked your Touriva for notches, right? I know mine expired this year and it had them.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    You've checked your Touriva for notches, right? I know mine expired this year and it had them.
    this is going to sound stupid but what do you mean notches? hang on ill get my manual and read it again i just ordered a new one and got it

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

You won't find it in the manual. You have to look under the cover. Some of them had notches in the shell's head area that have caused injuries and death-- but there was never a recall. Search "touriva notches" on this board and you'll find threads with pictures.

I love my CA for most of the things you describe. It's almost the same shell, super easy to adjust, but with a 40 lbs. rear-facing and 50 lbs. forward-facing limit.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Here's an article on the notches and the injuries they've caused - http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ar-crash-tests

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    You won't find it in the manual. You have to look under the cover. Some of them had notches in the shell's head area that have caused injuries and death-- but there was never a recall. Search "touriva notches" on this board and you'll find threads with pictures.

I love my CA for most of the things you describe. It's almost the same shell, super easy to adjust, but with a 40 lbs. rear-facing and 50 lbs. forward-facing limit.
    i cant find any pictures but im pretty willing to just go out and buy a new seat as soon as i get the money instead of waiting cause out touriva says 'do not use after 2011' so im assuming december of this year. and i was looking at the CA but then the AOE went on sale cause the style was going extinct and the manufacture date was good so i grabbed it.

oh and thank you for telling me about the notches!!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momma2kda View Post
    i cant find any pictures but im pretty willing to just go out and buy a new seat as soon as i get the money instead of waiting cause out touriva says 'do not use after 2011' so im assuming december of this year. and i was looking at the CA but then the AOE went on sale cause the style was going extinct and the manufacture date was good so i grabbed it.
    "Do not use after 2011" means the seat expires at the end of 2011 - it has another year and a half left before it would actually expire. If it has notches, though, then I'd replace it sooner if possible.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    "Do not use after 2011" means the seat expires at the end of 2011 - it has another year and a half left before it would actually expire. If it has notches, though, then I'd replace it sooner if possible.
    well if i can trick my childs father into believing its expiring this year i can more then likely go and replace it sooner hes not car seat technical but he finally understands why seats expire and is gladly to replace them then.

I wouldn't trick him... just look up the info on the notches and explain. And BTW, I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion of the EFTA -- especially if you can get the new 65lb model -- as it is a DREAM to share between kiddos.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    I wouldn't trick him... just look up the info on the notches and explain. And BTW, I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion of the EFTA -- especially if you can get the new 65lb model -- as it is a DREAM to share between kiddos.
    ok thank you!!! tomorrow i will have my baby my friends baby and i am gonna go steal(borrow) my niece since she is out of school now and we are going to babiesrus to find the PERFECT seat my childs father has given me a $200 spending limit!! YAY!! so were going to play car seats!! and i am trying them out in my car('07 nissan maxima) to see which ones fit and which ones don't!! im so excited!! i dont care how crazy i sound!!! )))) ))))) ((((: ((((: and now i dont have to worry about the touriva!!!

I just saw an all in one on clearance at Sears -- but now I can't remember which it was. It was around $65. I know the 3 in ones aren't recommended because no seat really fits everything from 0-8 ... but just of curiosity ... are they ok for harness, rf and ff, but not booster -- or some other combination. Or does it just depend on the seat. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but thought it would be nice for a grandparent or someone who had occassional use for a variety of kids.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pj2rc View Post
    I just saw an all in one on clearance at Sears -- but now I can't remember which it was. It was around $65. I know the 3 in ones aren't recommended because no seat really fits everything from 0-8 ... but just of curiosity ... are they ok for harness, rf and ff, but not booster -- or some other combination. Or does it just depend on the seat. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but thought it would be nice for a grandparent or someone who had occassional use for a variety of kids.
    For that price, it's probably not one of the 'better' ones (with 17" top slots and a 50lb harness limit)... check out this blog entry on how many there are! http://carseatblog.com/?p=1394

And to the OP, you might even consider the Symphony 65 for your next favorite seat, it has the great harness adjustment of the Triumph, but it also actually becomes a really *good* booster that can be used LATCHed in the car.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good